What's new

Haberdashery Acquisitions

Looks like I should have something to post soon, as I ordered a pair of AE McAllisters while they are on sale.

These came in yesterday, Allen Edmonds Spiaggia. Switched out the white laces for blue

proxy.php

I've had an itch for Gingham for a few years now. Alas, I have known exactly what i want and none of my usual sellers were carrying it. After a bit of research about internet tailors, I decided to order a few shirts from Proper Cloth.

On April 3, I ordered three shirts. I don't wear ties so I opted for a button down collar. Two button mitred cuffs and, in the case of the pink Royal Twill, contrasting cuff and collar (blue Royal twill).

Proper Cloth was very communicative through the process. A rep contacted me to ensure that I was confident that my measurements would fit. She even offered to send a trial shirt gratis prior to my order going into production.

On April 17th, my order arrived. Here's what I got.

Red and Blue Gingham in broadcloth.

proxy.php

Purple(ish) Gingham, also in broadcloth.

proxy.php

And finally a pink Royal Twill.

proxy.php

Some of the details I appreciated ...

A solid effort to align the contrasting twill pattern at the collar.

$_MG_1106.jpg

A well done cuff (also nicely aligned).

proxy.php

Mother of Pearl buttons.

proxy.php

A very good effort at aligning the pattern at the yoke and center rear pleat.

proxy.php

Rear pleat aligns nicely with the pattern across the back.

proxy.php

So their shirts aren't made in the USA. And they aren't the inexpensive. The quality fabric and the attention to detail ensure that I will be back again. And again.

I made my monthly trip to the Allen Edmonds HQ and my salesman/friend Nate had something special waiting for me. Behind the counter was a pair of Lloyd's from about 25 years ago: unworn, firsts, in burgundy leather. Apparently they were from a wholesaler who never did inventory and AE pulled the shoes, and when they were pulled they found these. Best part; $129 out the door.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Envy doesnt begin to describe the emotion that I feel. I'd wish you good luck with those Lloyds - but you have luck to spare at that price!

Enjoy the shoes

I've had an itch for Gingham for a few years now. Alas, I have known exactly what i want and none of my usual sellers were carrying it. After a bit of research about internet tailors, I decided to order a few shirts from Proper Cloth.

On April 3, I ordered three shirts. I don't wear ties so I opted for a button down collar. Two button mitred cuffs and, in the case of the pink Royal Twill, contrasting cuff and collar (blue Royal twill).

Proper Cloth was very communicative through the process. A rep contacted me to ensure that I was confident that my measurements would fit. She even offered to send a trial shirt gratis prior to my order going into production.

On April 17th, my order arrived. Here's what I got.

So their shirts aren't made in the USA. And they aren't the inexpensive. The quality fabric and the attention to detail ensure that I will be back again. And again.

Henry, those look phenomenal!

I would have a tough time picking fabric. Do you think you'll try a different fabric next?

I don't need to fly first class, but i did like this quote: Having a pocket can be handy if you need a place to stash a pen or your first class seat assignment. Most dress shirts these days come with a left pocket. It is considered a bit informal.

Henry, those look phenomenal!

I would have a tough time picking fabric. Do you think you'll try a different fabric next?

I don't need to fly first class, but i did like this quote: Having a pocket can be handy if you need a place to stash a pen or your first class seat assignment. Most dress shirts these days come with a left pocket. It is considered a bit informal.

Pick a pattern you like! I didn't try their least expensive offerings but I don't think you can go wrong with them. Of the two grades of broadcloth, the "lower" grade is really quite nice.

Top Bottom