What's new

personna red say made in the usa?

from all my reading i was under the impression these were made in Israel not the usa? but i have found some that say made in the usa right on the blades see pic attached. is this normal and how do these compare to the Israel blades if so?? i was surprised to see this since everywhere i have read says these are made in Israel and just the packaging is different. any info on this?

Attachments

• $$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW87CBRUnoFQHC!~~60_57.jpg
    $$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW87CBRUnoFQHC!~~60_57.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 174
Interesting. I just checked an old stash of Personna Reds I have. I bought them from WCS more than a hear ago. They say on the back distributed by ASR in Verona, NJ. but the blades have nothing stamped on them to indicate where they were made.

Personna sure likes to cloud things up. You have the issue of what shaving difference, if any, is there between their Labs and Meds and now this.

zygalski do you know if they are actually the reds or not then?? have you used the blue and red to tell the difference.

As far as I know platinum chromes are identical to Israeli reds.
I haven't used the blues, but lots of folk rate them too.

All Personna blades that are currently manufactured are identical in use, at least to me. YMMV. I can say that Personna told me that all of their blades that are made in USA are identical - made on the same machinery - the only difference is the packaging and whether or not they are sterilized or oiled. This refers to the currently produced blades only. Personna has gone through a lot of changes as a company recently.

This is the best deal I could find -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Personna-Do...768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec240f5e0

I have an old sleeve of Red wrapped Personnas that say made in USA.

They are great. Nothing special. Three good shaves, smooth and consistent. They're at least 20 years old. The cardboard is aged and the paper tape on the corners of the box split at the slightest touch. The blades though are beauties. I keep them as an everyday blade that I can gauge different razors with since they are so smooth and consistent.

I paid near nothing for them considering how many I got. It was a random sale from someone on eBay who did not have any other shaving related items for sale.

I also got a sleeve of Personnas once that have multi-colored wrappers. They're wrapped inside out. Terrible shaves. Terrible I tell you. The seller listed them as Army surplus. These were unmarked at all on the blade itself. I bought them in the hopes that some would be 74s. There have been more than one occasion where Personna 74 blades have been found inside platinum wrappers that are inside out.

I got a small lot once with 30 - 40 blades all with inside out wrappers. Over a dozen were marked as 74s on the blade. The rest were marked platinum on the blade.

Personna made great blades over the years. Some such as the Platinum and Stainless Steel are superb. The 'lab' and hospital blades currently available are a great blade and a great value if you don't feel the need to pay the premium for the hospital marked blades. My brother insists on the hospital Personnas despite my belief that the 'lab' blades are the same at a much better price.

I've tried Israeli Personnas, and while I was not dissatisfied with them, I also was not enamored by them. The one blade I've never tried are the 'barber' blades available at Sally Beauty stores. Price is a deal breaker, but the lack of enthusiasm and positive reviews for them is enough for me. The 'barber' blades may very well be the same as 'labs' for all I know though.

I have some old carbon steel Personnas I've never had the guts to try. The packaging is very cool and I've seen them in dispensers as well.

For curiosity sake, I've bought thousands of blades. I've tried almost every blade currently available and many vintage brands. For anyone newly into wet shaving I usually advise them to go for the Personna labs in the links above this post. Readily available and consistent.

For my AD and treasure hunt urge, I'm always looking for anything I can find made in the USA. Some of the best blades I enjoy using are made in the USA from the 60's through the 80's. For the most part - DE blades of that era are coated in one way or another, sharp, and made from stainless steel. Before cartridges became popular and after proprietary cut outs and notches stopped changing, there was an arms race to provide the best value to consumers. Gillette, Schick, Wilkinson Sword, and Personna were all turning out some of their best blades at that time.

What I haven't given into temptation wise, is buying generic and store brand DE blades. There have to be some that are just fantastic, and are only packaged and labeled differently than their name brand counterparts. Alas I have but one face to experiment with and test out blades...

*If a couple of you fellows would like, PM me and I'll tape a few of the Personna Reds made in the USA I have to a piece of an index card and mail them in an envelope. It may satiate some curiosity for you. I don't know if the ones pictured in the OP are the same as I have, but at least you could find out without owning 1,300 of them.

*offer open until 4/14/13 only to the first 10 posters of this thread.

id love to try them. was curious about these. did you buy the 1300 last time they had them or were they different??

Would love to try the Made in USA Personna Reds. I'm really getting into a domestic product kick. Have a Weber coming that I got in a trade. My favorite blades are Personna Meds, but with all the surplus domestic blades out there... gotta be some great finds waiting to happen!

Top Bottom