Showdown! Two Red Tips: USA vs. England

IMG_9788.jpeg

Razor: England Red Tip
Blade: Feather
Scuttle: Dirty Bird
Brush: Wolf Whiskers
Aftershave: Captain's Choice
Soap: MDC

One word comes to mind evaluating post shave after this England Red Tip - glass. Smooth as glass. Mind you, the technique is identical as the USA. I would say I "feel" the aftershave a bit more upon application but not in a bad way. That one spot under the jaw that has proven so elusive with nearly all DE razors - well, I didn't think it possible. Just an amazing smoothness.

Tomorrow I will go back to the USA. Watch for yet another combo of gear and then the post mortem. I am thinking I will do the England Red Tip yet another time following and then draw it to a close. That will make three shaves per Red Tip. If the results on the six shaves are the same that is good enough for The Captain. If the trend continues there may well be a Red Tip coming up for sale!

IMG_9793.jpeg

Razor: USA Red Tip
Scuttle: Moss scuttle - Sara Bonnyman
Brush: Captain's Choice
Cream: D.R. Harris Arlington

Today was the last go 'round with the USA Red Tip. Same technique, of course, with one exception. This time I really applied some extra attention to that spot under the jaw. Added pressure and going back over the area beyond what was done with the England version yielded the same smoooooth results. So where does that leave us? It appears that it is possible to get the same results if you apply yourself. With the USA Red Tip extra attention and perhaps a bit of luck are needed to pull it off. The England version, however, seems to deliver without thinking about it.

Tune in tomorrow for the last England Red Tip shave.

~ The Captain

IMG_9794.jpeg

Scuttle: Esty scuttle
Brush: Turn N Shave
Aftershave: Speick
Soap: Acqua di Parma

Sigh... not conclusive! I thought for sure this would deliver another smooth finish, coming from the England Red Tip. Then I could dust my hands off and call it good, but no. It was great but seemed to come up a bit short. Was in somewhat of a hurry this morning but not overly so. I am going to have at it again with the England Red Tip, it just seems like it should have done better than what it did this morning. Let me try again tomorrow and report back.

The whole point is that the prior shaves did not seem to need any special attention with the England one. Let's hope The Captain had an off day. He hears that from the First Mate on occasion but then don't the ladies tell that to all of us??? :biggrin1:

View attachment 1785714

Scuttle: Dirty Bird
Brush: Wolf Whiskers
Soap: MDC

One word comes to mind evaluating post shave after this England Red Tip - glass. Smooth as glass. Mind you, the technique is identical as the USA. I would say I "feel" the aftershave a bit more upon application but not in a bad way. That one spot under the jaw that has proven so elusive with nearly all DE razors - well, I didn't think it possible. Just an amazing smoothness.

Tomorrow I will go back to the USA. Watch for yet another combo of gear and then the post mortem. I am thinking I will do the England Red Tip yet another time following and then draw it to a close. That will make three shaves per Red Tip. If the results on the six shaves are the same that is good enough for The Captain. If the trend continues there may well be a Red Tip coming up for sale!
I have a dirty bird scuttle, same color just like yours.

Yesterday it was the England Red Tip and it was very good but not smooth as glass. So I gave it a day and tried the USA Red Tip once again this morning. Smoooooth. What on earth? My only conclusion would be that it may be more about technique than where the razor was manufactured. But that is just me and a small sampling.

Which gave me an idea...

images.png

Why not see about the experience of others? Let's do this. If you have posted here or liked a post in this thread, you are in. But you need to have already indicated engagement with this thread by having clicked on one of the posts. This way, guys who have indicated interest will have the opportunity.

If you want to be entered into the free drawing and have already engaged here then simply post, "I'm in." The winner will be drawn by random.org. I will sanitize both razors and send them to whoever random.org selects in the drawing. This is CONUS only please and here is the key: I need the razors back at some point. :biggrin1:

In fact, if the winner tries both and wants to do his own drawing, no problem. Just so eventually they end up back with The Captain - whenever. This will provide more info for the shaving community and be a larger sampling. So if you want to be entered, have at it by indicating in this thread. I will let it run a couple of days and then see who gets picked for the two razors.

~ The Captain

I think England Red Tip is the best TTO Gillette ever made. Better than any US and British Aristocrats.

USA Red Tip is also a good shaver but there are lots of Gillette TTOs I prefer.
Why do you think that? The pics shown it looks like they are identical. So what exactly is better with the English Red Tip, please, I might go after one if there is a clear advantage. Thanks!

View attachment 1786955

Scuttle: Esty scuttle
Brush: Turn N Shave
Aftershave: Speick
Soap: Acqua di Parma

Sigh... not conclusive! I thought for sure this would deliver another smooth finish, coming from the England Red Tip. Then I could dust my hands off and call it good, but no. It was great but seemed to come up a bit short. Was in somewhat of a hurry this morning but not overly so. I am going to have at it again with the England Red Tip, it just seems like it should have done better than what it did this morning. Let me try again tomorrow and report back.

The whole point is that the prior shaves did not seem to need any special attention with the England one. Let's hope The Captain had an off day. He hears that from the First Mate on occasion but then don't the ladies tell that to all of us??? :biggrin1:
They look like the same razor to me, is there a difference in weight, blade gap or something else that makes this razor more efficient? My 56 American version seems to give a great shave, more blade feel, good feedback etc. Sounds like the two versions are very similar if not identical.

@razorfool

The British Red Tip has always been known to be a more aggressive razor than its American counterpart which makes them more highly sought out and they hold a higher resale value.

@razorfool

The British Red Tip has always been known to be a more aggressive razor than its American counterpart which makes them more highly sought out and they hold a higher resale value.
Yes, I have heard that statement too. I have a Flare Tip Rocket that weighs about the same, blade gap about the same, as the US regular Flare Tip. I will compare the shaves of these two, since I too believe the English razors in general, are more efficient than the US counterparts.

Top Bottom