What's new

BBQ/Smoking Ideas

Well, it's Friday in my job's slow season. Also, today is the first 50+ degree sunny day in Michigan and I'm getting the itch to fire up my smoker in the next couple weeks. Going to be my second year with my new smoker; stayed pretty traditional last year (ribs, brisket, shoulder), now I'm looking for some interesting ideas of either things to smoke or new ways to use traditional cuts.

So throw out your favorite meals/ideas etc for me to try this year and also, what type of smoker is everyone using? I picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain and have been loving it.

Happy Friday to you all!

Dustin

Smoked fish is one of my favorites. You can do trout, whitefish, etc. for freshwater fish. You can make a spread out it by chopping it up and adding some condiments (miracle whip, salt, pepper, bit of union, pickle relish). If just smoking it serve with your favorite topping. I like to use sour cream, chopped chives, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic.

Cheeses!
proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Salmon should work, how about some ABT's, there will be some smoking Sunday here in Oakland County .. cheese is good smoked, smoked turkey is pretty tasty. At higher than smoking temperatures I've done a couple prime ribs on the Egg, excellent stuff.

Salmon should work, how about some ABT's, there will be some smoking Sunday here in Oakland County .. cheese is good smoked, smoked turkey is pretty tasty. At higher than smoking temperatures I've done a couple prime ribs on the Egg, excellent stuff.

I did a 20lb and a 15lb turkey at the same time for thanksgiving. That took some work getting the temps up on a large WSM smoker, but it turned out amazing.

I find cheese to taste really acrid unless you smoke a whole wheel with a natural rind. Another vote for fish from me, I use a ProQ Excel 20

Pork rib roast, brine and lightly smoke, cut into chops and finish on the BBQ. Serve with sauerkraut and apples. mmmm

I like all of those ideas. I need to do fish more often! I just started using the Orion Smoker I picked up from a buddy, who purchased it from Bass Pro Shop. This thing is awesome and very unique! The fire is kept on the outside of the smoker in what looks like a moat and a golf hole on the top. The inside keeps the meat very juicy when you toss a liquid in the bottom and put hickory chips around it. It's strange and really works. If you don't know what it is you should check it out.
$OrionCookerCharcoal2.jpg

I brined up a turkey breast and smoked it on my ugly drum smoker and it came out absolutely fantastic. Nice and moist, great smoky flavor without being overpowering.

Also throw on some ABT's (stuffed and/or wrapped jalapeno peppers)

I LOVE the Smokey Mountain.

Dragon Turds:
Jalapenos - cut in half lengthwise and cored (leaves seeds in for extra spicy)
Fill with ground spicy Italian Sausage
Wrap with Bacon and close with toothpicks
Smoke them babies up !! Around 30-40 min for me the the WSM.

Top Bottom