What's new

First Shave with the all NEW Feather Stainless Steel AS-D2 Razor : THUMBS UP!

Today’s shipment, coincidentally arriving on the same day: The brand new Feather Stainless Steel AS-D2 and a bottle of Dermatoligica Post Shave balm. You are here for the Feather AS-D2 though so let me get to it.

This all new Feather AS-D2 stainless steel razor does not disappoint at all. I have used many razors (Futur, PILS, R41, etc). The Feather AS-D2 is the only razor I think you will need. The weight and balance are just perfect. The shave head, with a lower profile than most is just perfect. The weight and feel of the razor are just perfect.
As for shaving, since I already showered this morning, I just took out some Black Ice shave cream, the Simpson best brush and face lathered up a nice heavy lather, popped in a 7 o’clock black blade and went to work. I may of over compensated the angle today but all I felt was the glide of the razor and the sound of the whiskers being hacked off. Truly, shaving nirvana. I went to work starting on the cheeks and sides and just heard that ting ting sound as the razor did its job. For anyone who says they do not get feedback, I could not disagree more. Just turn off the water. This razor is the most confident shave I think I have had to date. In fact, I did an across the grain pass on most of my face as well. The weight, feel, confidence of the razor, it’s just a butter knife going down your face doing its job. Now came the tough spots, the upper lip, getting close to the nose, this razor is by far the best that I have used. The profile of the razor lets you get right up to your nose which can be a trouble spot to get. Next came the chin, right under the bottom lip can be another trouble spot, this razor just did its job and shaved it all right off.
The words that come to mind to describe this razor: confident, cool and smooth. It’s like the sexiest butter knife you could ever own, because that is how it operates.
I did notice a small weeper on the jaw line but I truly blame that to my skin being dry. I live in the Northeast and have had the fire going pretty much non stop so the house is very hot and dry and I have not moisturized my face the last couple of days. I do not fault the razor for this at all.. and am 100% confident tomorrow will have no weepers. I just wanted to throw that in there though that one small weeper did happen.
What else did I leave out? Ohh if you don’t have one.. what are you waiting for? I see the Muhle Stylo set getting the boot and probably ending up on the BST. I know it is only one shave with the Feather but at this point, I see no reason to own another razor. I am just sorry I waited 2 years to buy this razor. As for a PILS in comparison, there is no comparison, this razor is slimmer, not so heavy, easy to work with and equally as sexy (especially with the Feather razor stand, which I did pick up in the kit).

Any questions let me know. I will update this in a few days as I get more shaves under my belt but at this point, I see the Stylo set and any other razor laying around going on the BST.

Attachments

• $IMG_3740.jpg
    $IMG_3740.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,365
Last edited:
Nice review. Glad you like it. One of these days I may have try one but mild razors don't usually agree with me. And as for why you waited 2 years to get it??

Wait for it.....

Because they just started making them! :thumbup1:

Sorry....I couldn't resist. Enjoy your shaves!:blush:

Great Review, Cant wait to to see more reviews, Hopefully This one is more aggressive then the AS D-1 ? and more efficient, Seems my face got used to more aggressive Razors then Mild Razors, I used to get such great shaves from AS D-1 but after using the R41 Everything changed to more aggressive Razors :eek:/

Thanks for the Review :thumbup:

I still enjoy other razors, just not as much as my AS-D1. It made me a better hand at shaving and gives me the most comfortable 12 hr shave of any method I've used in 44 years of shaving.

Congrats on your AS-D2.

What are the differences from the AS-D1?

The changes are supposed to be largely refinements in tolerances. I was lucky I guess as both of mine work great and hold the blade properly. I guess a few AS-D1s got out of the factory that should not have.

Oh man I want it with the stand too. If it fits the Ikon stand I'll get that instead to save some $$$.

I think the stand is a MUST. The stand, although roughly $50 extra (which is crazy for a small chunk of steel) is very, very nice. It weighs a ton, has a peel and stick matt to put under it that grabs onto the surface and just really compliments and completes the razor. The Ikon I believe will fit from what I read somewhere but it's black and the Feather one is steel to match the razor and has their name across it. It's very nice. For the $28 (plus shipping) that the Ikon one costs, I would just pick up the Feather and do it right. You aren't really saving much money by going with the other one and it does not match nearly as nice, in my opinion. Just hold off on buying those blades or a tub of shave cream and do it right. You wont be sorry.

Last edited:
A very honest and frank review chris, i have shaved with the AS-D2 for the last week to ten days or so and i have to say i'm really impressed with this razor so far from it's weight and balance through to its fine design, i will post a review in the coming days

I think the stand is a MUST. The stand, although roughly $50 extra (which is crazy for a small chunk of steel) is very, very nice. It weighs a ton, has a peel and stick matt to put under it that grabs onto the surface and just really compliments and completes the razor. The Ikon I believe will fit from what I read somewhere but it's black and the Feather one is steel to match the razor and has their name across it. It's very nice. For the $28 (plus shipping) that the Ikon one costs, I would just pick up the Feather and do it right. You aren't really saving much money by going with the other one and it does not match nearly as nice, in my opinion. Just hold off on buying those blades or a tub of shave cream and do it right. You wont be sorry.

Good point, I'll get the stand too! Let us know how different blades are with this razor

Also, I buff quite a bit since I use a light touch and find that buffing gives me a true BBS. I assume this razor is good for buffing due to it being a mild razor?

I actually did alot of buffing yesterday, I think yesterday was an off day. No weepers but my face just felt like it had razor burn. I took the alumn block to it that I had laying around from years ago and no stings but at the same time, yesterday I went nuts with this razor. I did with the grain, across the grain, against the grain, buffing.. I probably did what is equivelant to a 10 pass shave when I was all done.. I totally got carried away. Today, I put in a Feather blade (the last two days I used the 7 o'clock black) and I do actually think for the first time, I may of seen a noticable difference in blades. I did a two pass shave today and an extra pass on my cheeks going across the grain (I had just posted last week, before this razor arrived, how I was doing one pass shaves to cut down on any razor burn, irritation) and I will say I am very happy. No burn, no weepers and you so hear this razor sing as you shave. The razor just seems to have the most solid feel to the whole shaving experience, whether its the weight, balance of the razor, the way the head of the razor really holds the blade and keeps it firm or all of the above. It just has a great feel to me. The end result after what was a nice quick shave today, no irritation, no burn and a very, very close shave. Today I kept the angle almost totally perpendicular and I am thrilled with the results. Ill still experiment with the angle to see if I can push it to the max but loving this razor. I know its like a new toy, but I am actually looking forward to shaving in the morning.

I actually did alot of buffing yesterday, I did with the grain, across the grain, against the grain, buffing.. I probably did what is equivelant to a 10 pass shave when I was all done..

Equivalent to 10 passes? :blink: I understand that your enthusiastic about the AS-D2 but that gives me a negative impression, I mean any razor that needs more then 3 passes to obtain a good result wouldn't stay long. That would make it the same as the first version, that was beautiful to look at but you couldn't shave with it even if your life depended on it (at least the one I tried). Or where you so happy that you just continued for the fun of it?

I have both, razors and stands:
Feather stand 11mm hole diameter.
Ikon stand 13mm hole diameter. You can't interchange them, the handles have different diameters.

Also the Feather stand is 100x superior in finish to the Ikon. Ikon is a simpler black powder coated aluminum piece with an excessively wide center hole. My Ikon OSS needs a paper sleeve inside the stand hole to be kept nicely erected. The Feather stand is stainless steel with an outstanding machined surface, very smooth with a matte shine.

Last edited:
I have both, razors and stands:
Feather stand 11mm hole diameter.
Ikon stand 13mm hole diameter. You can't interchange them, the handles have different diameters.

Also the Feather stand is 100x superior in finish to the Ikon. Ikon is a simpler black powder coated aluminum piece with an excessively wide center hole. My Ikon OSS needs a paper sleeve inside the stand hole to be kept nicely erected. The Feather stand is stainless steel with an outstanding machined surface, very smooth with a matte shine.
Wow you had to go there ? LOL

Equivalent to 10 passes? :blink: I understand that your enthusiastic about the AS-D2 but that gives me a negative impression, I mean any razor that needs more then 3 passes to obtain a good result wouldn't stay long. That would make it the same as the first version, that was beautiful to look at but you couldn't shave with it even if your life depended on it (at least the one I tried). Or where you so happy that you just continued for the fun of it?

It wasnt necessary... I think a one pass with some buffing will produce more then good results. A two pass and throw in some buffing and you are more then set. I was just going nuts.

I actually did alot of buffing yesterday, I think yesterday was an off day. No weepers but my face just felt like it had razor burn. I took the alumn block to it that I had laying around from years ago and no stings but at the same time, yesterday I went nuts with this razor. I did with the grain, across the grain, against the grain, buffing.. I probably did what is equivelant to a 10 pass shave when I was all done.. I totally got carried away. Today, I put in a Feather blade (the last two days I used the 7 o'clock black) and I do actually think for the first time, I may of seen a noticable difference in blades. I did a two pass shave today and an extra pass on my cheeks going across the grain (I had just posted last week, before this razor arrived, how I was doing one pass shaves to cut down on any razor burn, irritation) and I will say I am very happy. No burn, no weepers and you so hear this razor sing as you shave. The razor just seems to have the most solid feel to the whole shaving experience, whether its the weight, balance of the razor, the way the head of the razor really holds the blade and keeps it firm or all of the above. It just has a great feel to me. The end result after what was a nice quick shave today, no irritation, no burn and a very, very close shave. Today I kept the angle almost totally perpendicular and I am thrilled with the results. Ill still experiment with the angle to see if I can push it to the max but loving this razor. I know its like a new toy, but I am actually looking forward to shaving in the morning.

I could be wrong, but I interpreted that as him having shaved three passes and feeling as thought it had been ten passes.

Top Bottom