What's new

Peterson System 317

This is a great pipe. The best I've ever owned and I've gone through quite a few pipes in my 6 or so years of casual smoking.

It's extremely cool smoking, no bite even with cheaper tobaccos. Perfect sized bowl for me on this model, I like quicker smokes.

Who else has a System pipe? What do you think of it?

I have two of them, my pre -1940s Bulldog and my 1988 Sherlock Holmes Original, both are great smokers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have one I bought 20 years ago somewhere. My attempts to locate it thus far are futile.

I regularly use my Peterson System 314. It has the medium sized bowl and a smooth finish - plus I only paid $30 off eBay for it.

It is a great smoker, but the one item it failed on was smoking flake. Now to be fair, I jumped into flake tobacco way before I should have which is probably why it was a soggy mess - not a problem with the Pete

It smokes like a champ with Frog Morton loaded in

I have two of them, my pre -1940s Bulldog and my 1988 Sherlock Holmes Original, both are great smokers.

Justin, as awesome as those pipes are, I don't believe they are part of the Peterson "System" pipes line-up. All system pipes are full or half bents as a necessity for the inner mechanics of the "system" (don't hold me to that, however). IIRC, your Holmes and Bulldog are straight patterns.

Edit to add: I've been curious about System pipes for a while and if they really smoke better (i.e. drier) than other Petersons. I found this video a while back that poses the same question I have about the reservoir or area in the system that supposedly traps moisture. The guy in the video (the always gracious and entertaining PipeFriendCHS) wonders if that reservoir gets funky and nasty over time due to build-up and if you can clean it out with a pipecleaner. Any System owners out there who can address this issue?

Last edited:
Edit to add: I've been curious about System pipes for a while and if they really smoke better (i.e. drier) than other Petersons. I found this video a while back that poses the same question I have about the reservoir or area in the system that supposedly traps moisture. The guy in the video (the always gracious and entertaining PipeFriendCHS) wonders if that reservoir gets funky and nasty over time due to build-up and if you can clean it out with a pipecleaner. Any System owners out there who can address this issue?

Oh I can tell you that it gets funky in there. The reservoir needs to be cleaned regularly. This is still a great, cool-smoking pipe.

Justin, as awesome as those pipes are, I don't believe they are part of the Peterson "System" pipes line-up. All system pipes are full or half bents as a necessity for the inner mechanics of the "system" (don't hold me to that, however). IIRC, your Holmes and Bulldog are straight patterns.

:p Well I am pretty sure they are since when I clean then I have to fight with the reservoir on both when I'm running them through with pipe cleaners.

:p Well I am pretty sure they are since when I clean then I have to fight with the reservoir on both when I'm running them through with pipe cleaners.

Interesting. I apologize for the mistake. So, the reservoir, does it get funky for you if you don't get it spic-and-span after every smoke?

It sort of does, I like to make sure it is super clean anyway but you would be amazed at how much moisture gets stuck down there. I find it helps that after I get my cleaner in there to tip up the bowl so more of the water runs down.

I only clean out the resevoir every 5-6 smokes. it gets quite nasty. After running a cleaner through the stem, I bend it in half and use the thicker bend to swirl in the resevoir. I continue doing this until the stem is clean. Good smoking pipe though.

I own several Pete system pipes, and I only clean them with a pipe cleaner about every 3rd or 4th smoke. I use conical pipe cleaners and stick the fat end in the reservoir and swab it around a bit. They've never gotten stinky yet, so I guess this is a good system (pun?).

My 317 that I recently found in a UK Antique shop for £5. It cleaned up well! John Shuster
$image.jpg

Yikes!!!
I don't know what I'm going find. I probably have about 30-40 smokes on my new Peterson and haven't cleaned the reservoir yet!
Guess I know what I'm doing today.

Top Bottom