What's new

How Its Made: Fountain Pens

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I watched a really neat one on Montblanc last night, and now for the life of me I cant find it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Those are some high-end Auroras -- piston fill, silver caps, gold nibs. I want one of those iridium pellet welding machines.

also this pilot one, but you will have to turn on CC buy the settings to put the english subtitles one

but it shows a bunch of detail stuff ive never seen before

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
And there's always the Souverän video

The lighting on that Pelikan video is pretty creepy, would be even worse if it had been done in B&W. Looks like the health education movies out of the '60s with warnings of the horrible diseases you could catch if you did not practice proper hygiene...:001_huh:

cheers

george

I have 2 pelikans...only...:001_cool:

If you want to see how it's done in Japan (at least for custom, one-off, handmade pens), this video shows the Hakase Pen Shop and the master craftsman at work. It's all in Japanese, but no translation is necessary.

You know, people can say what they want about Montblanc - and those people certainly do - but MB definitely cares about their end product and what goes into it. I know the name itself is often associated with pretentiousness, blind loyalty and materialism, but if they weren't great pens, people wouldn't buy them.

In fact, my infatuation with fountain pens started at an early age, watching my pediatrician fill out a prescription with his MB 149. He's since retired, still has it and uses it regularly. It'll go to the grave with him, he says.

For the record, I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the Montblanc vs. Everyone Else debate.

You know, people can say what they want about Montblanc - and those people certainly do - but MB definitely cares about their end product and what goes into it. I know the name itself is often associated with pretentiousness, blind loyalty and materialism, but if they weren't great pens, people wouldn't buy them.

In fact, my infatuation with fountain pens started at an early age, watching my pediatrician fill out a prescription with his MB 149. He's since retired, still has it and uses it regularly. It'll go to the grave with him, he says.

For the record, I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the Montblanc vs. Everyone Else debate.

Yes, those MontBlanc videos have made my itch for one even worse!

If you want to see how it's done in Japan (at least for custom, one-off, handmade pens), this video shows the Hakase Pen Shop and the master craftsman at work. It's all in Japanese, but no translation is necessary.

Really awesome video! Do you have any idea what the price is for one of his handmade pens?.

Really awesome video! Do you have any idea what the price is for one of his handmade pens?.

Not exactly sure, and since each one is a custom, it would depend on the materials, size, finish, etc. From the little I've found, you're looking at $1000 and up, so you better be pretty serious about pen collecting!

Top Bottom