What's new

Pen Review Pilot Metropolitan

Pen Review: Pilot Metropolitan Silver Zigzag

The Pilot Metropolitan is a pen that hit the scene in the US before Christmas of 2012. As a readily available less expensive pen, it quickly earned a very good reputation as a fountain pen for the beginner or more experienced alike.

Appearance and Design
The Metropolitan comes in three different colors; Black, Silver and Gold. In those colors, it also comes in three different patterns; dots, zigzag and plain. The weird thing is that the pattern only takes up about one inch of the barrel where the section screws into it. The pen is somewhat cigar shaped and can be written with posted if desired.

Construction and Quality
The barrel and cap of the Metropolitan are constructed of Brass which gives the pen a decent weight. It is a push close cap that seems to stay in place securely so far. The section is made of plastic, and is the same section used for the Pilot 78G. It starts wider at the barrel and tapers down as you get closer to the nib. There is a significant (to me) step down where the barrel meets the section. This can be bothersome depending on how high you hold your fingers on the section. The clip is nice and springy, and will hold the pen secure in your pocket or pen case.

Nib Performance
The Metropolitan only comes in a stock medium, stainless steel nib in the USA, but it is compatible with the nibs from the Pilot 78G, Prera, Plumix, and Penmanship. The stock medium nib seemed very stiff to me. Initially I had the pen loaded with Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun (Old Man Winter). With this ink, it seemed to write on the dry side, being a lighter gray ink, it does not go well with a drier nib. I ended up emptying and flushing the pen and loading it with Waterman Serenity Blue. It seemed to do better with the Waterman ink, but I still prefer wetter nibs, and will probably do some work on this nib to make it write wetter. I was able to squeeze some line variation out of it, but not much.

Weight and Dimensions
The Metropolitan is a decent size pen with good weight. The cap is postable, but makes it a bit top heavy to me, though I do not generally post pens anyway. I was able to use this pen for a good writing session without my hand or arm getting tired.

Total weight: 27g .92 oz.
Weight uncapped: 17g .60 oz.
Length capped: 138mm 5.45 inches
Length posted: 134mm 5.30 inches
Body including section (not nib): 108mm 4.25 inches
Diameter of body: 13.2mm .52 inches
Because of the step down, I am including the diameter of the section
10.2mm .40inches

Filling System and Maintenance
The Pilot Metropolitan comes with a cartridge and converter included in the box. The converter is the aerometric type, where you squeeze the metal bars together, squeezing the ink sac to expel air and fill with ink. It works pretty good, I have not had any issues with it at all. The Pilot con 50 converter fits it too. That is a piston type converter and may hold more ink, but it is a third of the price of the pen…
Cleaning the pen is fairly easy as the nib and feed are friction fit and can easily be removed if needed to clean a stubborn ink. You can also fit the end of the bulb syringe in the back of the section to flush it well. For the converter, it is just the process of sucking water up and shooting it out until clean.

Cost and Value
The Metropolitan retails for $15 though around Christmas one retailer had it on special for $10. I have to say that even at the $15 price I think this pen is a steal! Even though it only comes in medium nibs, I found the medium to be on the dry side. I am going to work on mine to write a bit wetter. If you want to go further, you can get the other inexpensive Pilot pens and share the nibs(78G, Plumix, Penmanship…). For $15 you get a cartridge, converter and a very decent pen.

Conclusion
Get one, or three for that matter, one in each color. They are good pens for situations where you would worry about carrying a more expensive pen, and are good performers while looking professional and sophisticated.

Writing Sample

(**post I'm in, in this thread and you enter to win a New in Box Pilot Metropolitan. Open to all members world wide. Will close Sunday, 2/10/13 at 10:00pm EST)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another nice review, Dave. Thanks! For the money, these are great pens. I can't think of a nicer pen in the $15 range.

The Ohto F-Spirit ($16.50) looks nice, but I don't think it comes with a converter. I believe a Waterman (or other standard converter) works, though. The Ohto is only available in a Fine nib, so it might be a good alternative to those that don't want a medium nib. Just a thought.

-Andy

Last edited:
Great review Dave, I really appreciate you taking the time to do these pen reviews. It's very informative and the time it takes, to do these reviews, is not lost on me. Well done:thumbup:

Didn't see the offer to pif, I'm in!!

Last edited:
I think I'm going to like these. Never tried one, but I'll be sure to include a couple with my next order from Goulet whenever the next run of Liberty's Elysium comes in. Goulet Pens says middle of this month.

It looks beautiful in silver within the box. 15 dollars well spent!

Oh, and I'm in! (Edit: Oh, and first post in The Nib... I tried a calligraphy italic pen years ago and I liked it, but never was useful in everyday writing. If they had this pen in stores locally I'd snatch it up immediately.)

Last edited:
Nice review. I love the metropolitan. It was the one that got me hooked on FPs. And I'm certainly in!

AND... it comes with a great gift box! Nice review and pics, lots of good pics. I have had one for a few weeks and agree with everything except the dryness issue. I have only used Waterman Blue Black and my own "dump pot brown" which both have behaved well. I tried a 78g B nib for a while. While they have the same dimensions, the 78g nibs seem to be of lower quality, the Metro is stiffer. I'm also working on getting an Indian flex nib to work. Not enough ink flow to keep it going so I'll have to learn how to "adjust" the feed. Great quality with some DIY potential.

thanks

Excellent review, Dave! The Metro certainly sounds like an enabler's dream! If I hadn't already loaded up friends and family with FPs (at least those I could convince to try one!), I'd be stocking up on them for gifts.

However, I still haven't tried one, so I'd welcome the opportunity...I'm in!

good review, thanks. I like mine so much, and have talked about it so much at the house, my wife wants one now. As such I would say I'm in (otherwise I will purchase her her own). I have used a noodlers and one other ink in it and haven't had any dry issues, but my experience with FP's is pretty limited.

Awesome review. I've used 2 different Noodler's inks in mine, and both were great, wrote smooth and fairly wet that way. The medium nib is actually a pretty good size for general writing use for me. I have a 78g fine nib and its actually too fine for things like letters and notes.

Excellent review Dave. My only quibble with your review is the wetness issue. My Metro with the medium nib and the Pilot cartridge ink was too wet for my writing style. Feathering and a lot of bleed through on the cheap Staples spiral notebook I was using. I swapped the medium nib for a fine nib from a 78G and haven't looked back. I just loaded the CON-50 with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts blue/black.

Also, I'm in on the PIF. Time to enable my daughter's boyfriend. :lol:

I have found the Iroshizuku Old Man winter dry in other pens too. I like my nibs wet, not holding it against the pen, it is just a preference of mine.

proxy.php

Thank you Dave, outstanding review and even more generous giveaway. I will use the pen proudly :thumbup:

I know Iv'e said it before but the generosity of this site and it's members astonishes me. I'm proud to say that I'm a member of B&B!!!!!

Congratulations Christopher! I didn't notice that this was a PIF either. I didn't want in, as I already had a Metropolitan.

-Andy

Lol Christopher, when you get that pen I want a video of you actually dancing like that, I can already tell from your post your going to do it, so i think it should be recorded

Top Bottom