What's new

Getting a straight razor of my choice for my 30th. Recs?

I want something really nice. Preferably German made, but I'm open to whatever. I've got DE down really well and I'm ready to move on. Also, I'll take recommendations on the rest of the tools if you're feeling kind. Thanks!

it depends what you're into:

custom made razors - they are built to your liking.
hollow ground solingen razors - some guys swear by the smooth shaving edge.
old, big, wedgy Sheffields - historical value, nostalgia, and because big blades are cool.
"original" restores of vintage blades.
"custom" restores of vintage blades.

So what's your preference? They all shave as good as the next if they're honed properly. (I'm sure some will disagree here, but many won't)

ahhh, to be young...

boker. they also have a range of different blades/prices. king cutter, edelweis ect.

+1 to the Boker, I love mine, and it is my #1 shave (er, for now).
The Hart is also nice.

A can of many worms.
regards,
Bil

Rest of the tools? Sounds like you are going for not-cheap. If that's the case, buy two strops: a relatively cheap one (try starshaving.com for great selection of quality strops), then once that gets abused, get something like a Tony Miller or a Kanayama. I like my "Big Daddy" from Star well enough that I haven't had a desire to try anything else...ok, not true, but it's a low enough desire not to shell out more cash. :)

So many choices. Thanks wherndon. That made me feel better about this whole getting older thing.

I really don't know what I want here. There's too many. Boker seems like a good choice.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Another vote for a Brian Brown custom razor here. Bokers are very nice, but there is something about having a razor built exactly how you want. It is pricier, but you only turn 30 once ;).

Legion

Staff member
Another vote for a Brian Brown custom razor here. Bokers are very nice, but there is something about having a razor built exactly how you want. It is pricier, but you only turn 30 once ;).

Speak for yourself. I've been turning thirty for years.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If this is your first straight, hold on to your "Free BDay Straight Razor" coupon for now and get a Whipped Dog set to start. Once you determine you like it (and you will!), then you can go grab the higher-end kit of a razor, strop, stones/film/etc... as your killer setup.

Lucky man getting a razor for your 30th.
I got put on the wait list for some metal rods and screws in my back :thumbup:
I have a 6/8 bismarck with the black celluloid scales and really like it.
I have to agree with rockviper above and go with a whipped dog for now.

I have to agree with rockviper above and go with a whipped dog for now.

+1. Reason being, a nice razor won't make you shave any better ( a sharp one will though!), so why not figure out if it's even for you before spending the big $...If you do end up going with a new German razor though, I would stick with Boker. Their QC is a notch up above the rest IMO...

Top Bottom