What's new

What does Florida Water aftershve smell like? Please don't say water in Florida ;

To me it has a very strong orange citrus note at first. Has a little something spicy in the background. And just a small amount of powder smell, not too much.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I remembered this thread and splashed the stuff on liberally before bed.

Did indeed have vivid dreams; not nightmares but the usual weird stuff. Unusual, and interesting.

AA

Had my first go at Florida Water today. For me it opens with a blast of orange peel with some clove and other spice. As it goes on there is a bit of the Juicy Fruit gum too. I like it a lot. I may have to see if it gives me any interesting dreams.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Controlled sleep experiment, second night: Once again the Florida Water splash before sleep. And once again, vivid dreams.

No wonder Santeria noviciates use this stuff.

AA

Controlled sleep experiment, second night: Once again the Florida Water splash before sleep. And once again, vivid dreams.

No wonder Santeria noviciates use this stuff.

AA

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that is affected by FW ... I've mentioned the nightmares several times previously in other threads where FW was under discussion, but nobody has followed up on it.

A couple of times, I rubbed some FW on my temples to help with a headache. The cooling menthol did aid somewhat in easing the headache, but the vivid dreams were still there. I've also tried putting it just on my wrists, instead of anywhere near my face, but the location of application didn't matter, it still took its toll on me at bedtime. And it didn't matter if I put it on several hours before turning in, I still got the dream effect until I washed it off the next morning.

I'll be interested to see where your experiment goes ... it would be great if there were some way to conduct a double-blind study where FW could be stacked up against a similar-smelling placebo, but if such a placebo exists, I'm unaware of it.

So what might Florida Water have in it that causes these vivid dreams?

I'm examining the bottle I own, a brand called Liushen made by the Shanghai Jahwa United Co., Ltd. (195ml in a glass bottle.)

Copied verbatim from the label, including the misspelled words and grammatical errors.

The Main Ingredients: Ethanol, Mentholum, Perfume, Dionized Water.

It consists of natural Menthol, and it's a new generation of Florida Water with special functions.

Functions:
  • Remove prickly heat effectively with constant application.
  • Pour appropriate quantity of LIUSHEN into bath to avoid heatrash. Constant application may prevent various summer skin dieases and keep skin smooth and healthy.
  • Rub on affected parts to ease mosquito bites, relieve swelling, pain and itching.
  • Rub on the temples and philtrum to keep refreshing, prevent sea and car sickness etc.
Precautions.
  • Dilute 5 times for babies' use.
  • Those who have serious skin dieases or wound should use according to doctor's advice.
  • Not applicable for pregnant women.
  • Kept away from fire.
And then there is a few paragraphs in Chinese, which I can't read. (Presumably, it repeats the same info in the quote above.)

So why does this stuff cause vivid dreams and nightmares? There's nothing unusual in the ingredients ... could it be the ratios?

In any case, for the sake of experiment, I just inhaled a big whiff,
and it still smells great, but I didn't let any come in contact with my skin.
I'll be going to bed soon ... We'll see what happens.

I don't think it's too surprising that an evening application of some of these scents can trigger certain kinds of dreams. Scent can trigger very vivid memories. I expect some of the dreams come from your sleeping brain trying to interpret the connections and associations you have with certain scents. The way we respond to scent can be quite fascinating. I usually really enjoy dreaming, but alas, no dreams for me from an evening application of Florida Water. Best of luck with your experiments gentlemen.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Last night was the THIRD night in a row I applied Florida Water, went to sleep, and had vivid tossing-and-turning dreams.

:001_huh: I love the stuff- only wish the smell lingered - but that's just weird. Don't think I'm doing it tonight; I need some sleep.

Something's in it. At least with the Veg, you know it has linalool in it. It's unclear what's in Florida Water that does this (though I love the stuff!).

Experiment over.

AA

To me, it was sickly sweet, citrusy, and spicy. I hated it. And it burns... boy howdy, does it burn. Based on scent alone I had to give this stuff away, and get it out of my house. One of only a few I've had to vanquish.

Not a fan. Wifey doesn't like it either. It's citrus smell, with a lot of clove scent. Not a good combination. I've tried it three times. I'm done with it. Perhaps the teenager in the house might like it.

Not a fan. Wifey doesn't like it either. It's citrus smell, with a lot of clove scent. Not a good combination. I've tried it three times. I'm done with it. Perhaps the teenager in the house might like it.
This is a perfect example of YMMV. Florida Water is loved in our house.
As for the dreams, I think they occur so vividly is because of the deep REM state that the relaxing smell puts me in. Last night I had detailed vivid dreams. 1 was rather strange, but overall they were not unpleasant. Maybe I will start a thread called Florida Water Dreams?

This is a perfect example of YMMV. Florida Water is loved in our house.
As for the dreams, I think they occur so vividly is because of the deep REM state that the relaxing smell puts me in. Last night I had detailed vivid dreams. 1 was rather strange, but overall they were not unpleasant. Maybe I will start a thread called Florida Water Dreams?

I'm still not sold on the scent, but this dreams business is interesting. I gave it a try for that last night, and I must say I had a very interesting one (I was controlling a toy helicopter with my son and the movement was vivid).

I can't imagine how FW would influence this, but your theory is as good as any.

Top Bottom