What's new

Very first SE shave this evening

Got an Art of Shaving kit from SWMBO for Christmas and it piqued my interest in SE shaving. Been going through the pre and post shave regimen with my old cart razors to practice while I waited to get my first SE. Bought a beautifully restored Henckels from Shaverjoe (below) and was just finally able to try the bad boy out tonight after it sat in my mailbox for two weeks. Lets just say it didn't go as planned.

First pass I did the razor kept catching and jumping once I started to get closer to the tougher hair on my jawline and I realized that my lather probably wasn't thick enough. Since all I have is the brush and cream that came in my AoS kit, I had basically just been "lathering" right on my face by wetting the brush, swiping up some product, and smooshing it all over my face feeling all so proud and fancy. Turns out it whips up WAY better when you work it in a bowl first.... So that's why everyone on here has one of those little things...

I relathered the right way this time and started working again. Paid a lot of attention to my blade angle the second time through and that helped as well. I was able to do my right cheek and throat right handed and with some patience and a lot of sweating my left cheek and throat left handed.

The chin and jaw were another story. Tried to really take my time and figure out which hand/which grip would work best in each area, but not matter how I tried I couldn't seem to trim ANYTHING on the underside of my jawline. I got a lot of feedback from the blade on my chin and jawline but I figure that is just because the hair is so coarse. Might also be my stropping, all I have to strop with right now is newspaper. Might have to find some canvas to work it with first and then spend more time stropping on the newspaper?

Overall it was a rewarding/humbling experience. The hair on my jawline and chin is still the same length it was before I shaved, but if my cheeks are BBS it still counts, right? Skin is slightly irritated, but that's not enough to stop me. Here's to a closer shave tomorrow!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 36
Does it count? Sure does! Congrats.

You used the term 'SE' but that is usually reserved for single edged razors that use blades like GEM. A straight razor is usually abbreviated... uh... str8? Or something. Never mind, I know what you meant and I can identify with your happiness. Good job!

You can use a newspaper but since you've gone this far, look for a cheaper strop. It works a bit better. I've made them before from leather from a leather shop - you can get strips for reasonable prices and they work fine.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome fellow straight user!

I think you are doing just fine. As you get more shaves under the belt the tentative swipes you are taking on your face now will turn into more confident quicker strokes which will cut through the stubble like butter. A slow stroke will catch on the hairs and hang up. A quick one demolishes whiskers.

I just started using a straight last week and am also having difficulty on my neck and around my jawline. It's hard because you have to constantly change the angle of the blade on-the-go, and that really just comes from experience. Keep at it and soon it will be second nature.

Top Bottom