What's new

Cracked painted wood Semogue handles thread: post yours here!

Hi mates!

I own a Semogue 1335 with a painted wood handle (a smaller, cheaper version of 1305) with works lovely well for facelathering, but unfortunately like other painted wood Semogue models (1305, 1438, etc.) some cracks appeared with use as you can see in these photos:

I know that is a common issue in this kind of handles, but I wonder if it is frequent or not. Semogue claimed some time ago that this issue was fixed, but from time to time I see more cases like this, so I think it would be a good idea to create a thread where people could post their cracked handles, as at least would be useful to warm Semogue about this problem to provide a proper solution (better quality paint, varnish or wood).

Any painted model is wellcome, including new Italian LE!

Cheers!

I like to set my brush stand in the sink, and let the bristles dangle in the warm water.

$2013-01-12 12.42.04 (Medium).jpg

Do not soak the handle. Fill up a mug/glass/bowl with water so that only the bristles get soaked

And ideally, only soak around 2/3rds of the length of the bristles - that's plenty to give them a good soak, while minimizing the amount of water that reaches the handle.

I like to set my brush stand in the sink, and let the bristles dangle in the warm water

What an excellent idea - and like so many of the best ones, it seems obvious now that you've suggested it! :thumbup:

Painted wood handles are beautiful but will eventually deteriorate. Nevertheless, even with some blemishes they will serve well for many years. For perfectionists like myself, plastic handles are much better for everyday use.

%$it happens. The joys of owning a wood brush especially thats painted. I had issues with a 2000 and got bashed for stating the facts and the issues with the finish of the brush. Never soaked it, tossed it off buildings, crushed it, etc. It just started crackling profusely. Wont ever buy another painted brush again let alone a Semogue. Great folks but sometimes **** poor handle quality.

This happened to my 1305. I don't soak the brush - in fact, when using soaps (and creams) I just wet the bristles and then invert. While I soak the puck, I don't see the need to soak like in the case of a badger and it seems to pick up the soap better with a drier bristle. I think the cracking comes from my brush holder after I'm done - it holds four brushes with handles up and bristles down. Regardless, doesn't seem to affect the performance. Does make me prefer the acrylic handles and of course, my SOC.

This is how a Semogue gets wrecked:

Using a mug or a small bowl while banging the brush handle against the walls of the mug.
I do not know this gentleman and I apologise for using that video to show what could cause cracks in the paint.

I have a 1305 and it does have a small crack near the collar (invisible with the naked eye). For a $12 brush any crack or flaw is nothing but character. As long as the knot stays together.

Last edited by a moderator:
VerbaVolant,

The first thing I have noticed while building up lather in a CERAMIC bowl was the noise the handle of my 1438 made. I knew it was going to ruin the paint on the handle and replaced the bowl with a PVC one. Now, I switched to face lathering and I like it more.

Here's my Semogue 1305, after 2 years of use, the metal ring has cracked....no, I've never dropped it before and only soak 3/4 brush and not handle......but it's still a great brush that had served me well....the paint is still intact.

$2013-01-20-943.jpg

The only chipped/cracked handle Semogue I have is my 1438. I dropped it on the bathroom floor and the bottom chipped a bit. I can't blame anyone but myself fot this though. The handles on the rest of my Semogues have held up exceptionally well.

Top Bottom