What's new

Beginners advice required

Good afternoon,

I've just joined in search of some straight razor advice. I've been reading through a lot of posts here since I started considering switching away from the usual cartridge razors and feel it's time to shave properly! I'm torn between going for a DE, like the Merkur 38C, or going for a straight razor. I am leaning more towards getting a straight as I feel I would end up progressing to one after a DE anyway. My question today involves a 'value' starter set that I have been looking to build so I can get started. It consists of the following:

- Basic Dovo 'shave ready' straight razor
- Leather and canvas strop from eBay
- Set of two natural hones from eBay - 8-10K Dragon Tongue & 12K Llyn Melyllyn

I enjoy the mainternance of items I own, such as applying a spit shine on shoes etc. so honing appeals to me. Would this starter set I outlined above be all I would need to shave indefinitely? I understand there are courser hones to add a bevel to blades but as the Dovo is 'shave ready' would I need such a hone or will the two outlined above be enough?

Thank you for your help.

Hey man, congrats on your new hobby and welcome! :thumbup1:

I think a shave-ready Dovo is a fine choice as a first razor...My first was a Dovo Best Quality, and it remains one of my top shavers. As far as the stones? I personally like the Welsh slate stones. I typically do a "Welsh trio" progression on a razor that's not shaving well. I'll start with the Dragon's Toungue, then go to the Llyn, and finally the "Welsh Thuringian" (a misleading term, but that's what people call it!)..I think they produce good all-around edges. Do I prefer a Coticule edge over the Welsh stones? Yeah I do, but they work well regardless...

Just take it easy, and don't try and learn too much at once...I made that mistake (trying to learn shaving with a straight AND honing at the same time) and it's like "sensory overload"...too much to take in at once!!

As far as a strop; you'll want to start out with something cheap as you WILL nick it. My first strop was an Illinois Strop Co. I got from Amazon for $30, but you can get ones even cheaper than that. You may wanna check "whippeddog.com" as they have a "poor-mans" strop kit for cheap and it works really well from what I hear..

Anyway good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Welcome to B&B

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

My suggestion would be to get a sight unseen straight from whipped dog and get his poor man's stop kit.

http://www.whippeddog.com/straightrazors/view/sight-unseen-deal

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/poor-man-strop-kit

What you are looking at on eBay will be a stop gap and not something you will hang onto so why spend a lot of money for something you more than likely will outgrow rather quickly.

Get a good shave ready razor and a good starting maintenance system that won't break the bank. From that you can move on to a much nicer strop and a decent coti one piece at a time

Thank you for your responses and welcome, unfortunately I am UK based so will have to pass up on the whipped dog deal.

JP, would you say a good shaving edge can be achieved with the Llyn, or should I get a Welsh Thuringian to finish it up with?

Thank you.

Thank you for your responses and welcome, unfortunately I am UK based so will have to pass up on the whipped dog deal.

Your profile does not say where you are located. You might want to update this so that you can receive better (more location centered) help from other members.

To update your location profile:

1) Click Settings at the top of the page
2) On the left sidebar under My Settings click Edit Profile
3) Scroll down and enter a general location (how specific you want to get is up to you)

JP, would you say a good shaving edge can be achieved with the Llyn, or should I get a Welsh Thuringian to finish it up with?

Thank you.

I don't think the Welsh Thuri is really necessary per se...I have gotten really good edges off of just the DT and Llyn, so I think you'd be fine if you just got those two. Then, you could always add the WT later if need be.

I have several different finising options (Chinese 12k, Welsh Stones, Real Thuringian, Naniwa 12k, Coticule), and I must say that for the price, the Welsh stones provide edges that can compete with any of the above...I reallty think they're a great economical alternative to more expensive finishers...:thumbup1:

I shall begin with the pair then! Would you be able to give me an idea of how many passes would be required on each of the two stones to refresh the aforemetioned Dovo when it needs a honing? I've just read that overhoning is possible so would appreciate the advice.

I shall begin with the pair then! Would you be able to give me an idea of how many passes would be required on each of the two stones to refresh the aforemetioned Dovo when it needs a honing? I've just read that overhoning is possible so would appreciate the advice.

Well, I usually do 40-50x circles in both directions with slurry (just the weight of the blade), then 40-50x circles on just water (ZERO Pressure). Then I will move onto the Llyn and do the same thing. I will usually finish up with 20-30 x-strokes on the LM until I get a decent HHT off of the hone. This is just what works for me, though, YMMV....:)

JP

Top Bottom