What's new

1930's old type gillette and coca cola stamp under the head? need info

it has been at this store for a while. they want way way way too much for it but im still curious about it. i have done searches in the past and have come up empty. this time when i looked at it i took a picture so i could post it on here. i didnt think to ook for a date code for some reason. it also had the originial box which looks like the one the ivory soap razor came in. under the head it says " coca cola in bottle" does anyone know when they joined up with gillette or if it was sold alone or if it came with a case of coke? i would have bought it myself but they want 1200.00 bucks for it. where they came up with the number i will never know. if i was made of money i would have bought it but thats just too much money for me. i would love to have it in my collection.

Attachments

• $coca cola razor.jpg
    $coca cola razor.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 150
I've heard of them before, but I've never seen one in person. It'd be from the '20s rather than the '30s, when the Old Type was the "cheap line," and Gillette was putting more into these sorts of "synergy" deals. I'd love to find one too, but that price is absolutely insane. Either they think that it's silver-plated unobtanium, or they think that the secret formula for Coke is rolled up inside the handle.

I feel your pain. I've had a streak of finding interesting razors priced well beyond reason. I'd honestly rather spend the whole day out and find nothing than find a cased '30s-style Aristocrat that the seller swears is worth $250.

I imagine that would appeal to Coke collectors even more than it would to us. $1,200 is a crazy optimistic number. It's also one of the coolest Gillette variants I've seen.

Only Pablo Escobar would pay for such a razor with the Word Coca on it, To bad he is not around :eek:/

Last edited:
I imagine that would appeal to Coke collectors even more than it would to us. $1,200 is a crazy optimistic number. It's also one of the coolest Gillette variants I've seen.

Gillette did this to a lot of these variants for advertising/exposure purposes .....I want one with Ivory soap on it and i wont spend a cent over $5000 bucks.:crazy:

Gillette did this to a lot of these variants for advertising/exposure purposes .....I want one with Ivory soap on it and i wont spend a cent over $5000 bucks.:crazy:

i have one that looks like crap that ill sell to u for 1200 so i can go and buy the coca cola razor :lol:

Well, remember, this appeals to a cross-over market. There are lots and lots of Coca-Cola collectors out there and this is a rare item for them. Just like Gillette's Baseball memorabilia series from the mid-50s, they can charge a little more because its not just us razor-heads that are interested in it.

But $1200? I don't think so.

What would be a fair price on something like this? I'm thinking about $125.00.

Well, remember, this appeals to a cross-over market. There are lots and lots of Coca-Cola collectors out there and this is a rare item for them. Just like Gillette's Baseball memorabilia series from the mid-50s, they can charge a little more because its not just us razor-heads that are interested in it.

But $1200? I don't think so.

What would be a fair price on something like this? I'm thinking about $125.00.

yea i was telling my wife that if it was about 120 bucks i would have bought it.

yea i was telling my wife that if it was about 120 bucks i would have bought it.
Have you tried a counter-offer? Low-ball 'em starting at $60, and I'd be willing to go as high as $180 after some negotiating.

If nothing else, see if they can justify their asking price. Ask to see some documentation that supports such an extravagant figure. For example, If they have a provenance to go along with it to show that this belonged to somebody famous, that would add to the value. Or maybe they can show you a catalog where similar razors have sold in that price-range in the past.

Nice razor for sure, but 1200$?! The store owners must have been watching some of those ebay auctions which ended up with crazy bid prices!!

Have you tried a counter-offer? Low-ball 'em starting at $60, and I'd be willing to go as high as $180 after some negotiating.

If nothing else, see if they can justify their asking price. Ask to see some documentation that supports such an extravagant figure. For example, If they have a provenance to go along with it to show that this belonged to somebody famous, that would add to the value. Or maybe they can show you a catalog where similar razors have sold in that price-range in the past.

not a bad idea but its at an antique mall which means that there are multiple people with their own littel sections. the guy who showed it to me was surprised about it being 1200 bucks too. i may just call and see if i can get them to some down to something im willing to pay. i mean its worth a try.

Top Bottom