What's new

Coat/hat/scarf Question

I like all of your selections. They work well together imho.
There's some little expression about women's clothing matching and men's just working well together...or something like that. I think you've done well. Having a perfectly matched hat and scarf in the exact same plaid would look like you're trying too hard. I think you've done it right in each case and done it well.

There's some true style aficionados on here, and I'm curious what they say.

Congrats on the new coat and scarf. You look great!

A fedora would be a nice upgrade. I see a lot of young people in NYC wearing stingy-brimmed straw fedoras in the hot weather, so a stingy-brimmed felt fedora might make for a smooth transition to "real" hats for someone your age. However, if you like the look of a wider brim, by all means go for it. (Not too wide for work, though.)

I don't suppose I could sell you on a bowler? (That's me in Clockwork Orange mode, below.) You'd look smashing in one, you know, and evidently they've been making something of a comeback. I was having lunch in Lower Manhattan a few weeks ago, and a casually-dressed man, about your age, carrying a black derby sat across from me. It's a classic hat with an interesting history, and a conversation-starter if you're the gregarious type. Depending on your job, you may not be able to get away with it at work, though.

Enjoy your new duds!

Attachments

• $a-clockwork-christmas.jpg
    $a-clockwork-christmas.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 97

strop

Now half as wise
Love the scarf. Next one can be a bright color. And +1 on the fedora. Would go great with what you have.

Especially when wearing a conservative suit, there are only a few ways to "dress up" or "liven up" ones attire. Pocket squares and braces, and the scarf in outerwear.

Love the scarf. Next one can be a bright color. And +1 on the fedora. Would go great with what you have.

Especially when wearing a conservative suit, there are only a few ways to "dress up" or "liven up" ones attire. Pocket squares and braces, and the scarf in outerwear.

Thanks!

This scarf was pushing my comfort zone which is rapidly expanding. Next one will be more bold and colorful per your advice!

I am going to need to continue to research the fedora. Very intriguing.

strop

Now half as wise
Besides, you can't carry a fountain pen and not look good ina fedora!

Busy with family stuff, but I'll try to get a picture of my scarves and hats for you.

you can never go wrong with a white silk scarf. I have a number of very soft wool scarves, but they tend to irritate my neck, so if I want something close to the neck, then silk is the way to go...that is why WW I pilots wore white silk and not wool.

cheers

george

you can never go wrong with a white silk scarf. I have a number of very soft wool scarves, but they tend to irritate my neck, so if I want something close to the neck, then silk is the way to go...that is why WW I pilots wore white silk and not wool.

cheers

george

Excellent suggestion. I'll have to add that to my wish list. Thanks

I'm intrigued by the idea of the stingy-brimmed fedora in felt. I'm going to continue to look into this. I wish there was somewhere local to try one on....

What jumper said, and yes, that's a common Euro method. I usually tucked the tails into the jacket.

Your head shape would look good in a fedora or similar.

Check out www.noggintops.com

Hmm. On the NogginTops.com "about us" page they mention that they are affiliated with Delmonico Hatters which has a retail store in New Haven, CT. I work not too, too far from there. Maybe I should take a drive over...

I really like the pork pie hats too, but one must be very careful, there is a fine line between looking like a cool jazz musician$images.jpeg and looking like, well,you know..$Pork-Pie Hat2.jpg

I always liked the one that Frank Lloyd Wright wore, it was a pork pie, but seemed to have a bigger (but not ridiculously large) brim.$frank-lloyd-wright.jpgOnly thing is, I have not been able to find one like this, in a cream/banana yellow colour.

cheers

george

Last edited:
I really like the pork pie hats too, but one must be very careful, there is a fine line between looking like a cool jazz musicianView attachment 295469 and looking like, well,you know..View attachment 295463

I always liked the one that Frank Lloyd Wright wore, it was a pork pie, but seemed to have a bigger (but not ridiculously large) rim.View attachment 295467Only thing is, I have not been able to find one like this, in a cream/banana yellow colour.

cheers

george

Excellent, well illustrated point!

Top Bottom