What's new

What is the correct pronunciation of "Semogue?

[EDIT: My post below is inaccurate. See Leon's response here.]

Brazilian Portuguese speaker here. (Consider that there are differences between the Brazilian and Portuguese versions of the language, similar to British and American English, so the actual pronunciation may be different.) Firstly, I don't think it is possible to be only two syllables at all. I think the closest one is "suh-MOH-gay", although it is not quite right, but I am not sure how to spell the sounds any better. (Not a big help... Sorry.)

Last edited:
Brazilian Portuguese speaker here. (Consider that there are differences between the Brazilian and Portuguese versions of the language, similar to British and American English, so the actual pronunciation may be different.) Firstly, I don't think it is possible to be only two syllables at all. I think the closest one is "suh-MOH-gay", although it is not quite right, but I am not sure how to spell the sounds any better. (Not a big help... Sorry.)

You can try to spell it using IPA Phonetic Transcription:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonetic_transcription

Pois e.

I emailed Vintage Scent about a brush recently and asked, "What does Semogue mean?" Bruno replied, Semogue means "eu, Gomes" backwards, which means "I, Gomes". That was the last name of the founder, Francisco Gomes, father of Manuel Gomes, the current master craftsman. If we follow the pronunciation backwards the 'e' is a short vowel (eh) and the 'o' is a long vowel (oh). Thus, Sehm-ohg. Whatever the meaning or pronunciation... Semogue = Great Brush! (I'm pretty sure that is the dictionary definition)

Sorry, I am bit too lazy for that... :)

I emailed Vintage Scent about a brush recently and asked, "What does Semogue mean?" Bruno replied, Semogue means "eu, Gomes" backwards, which means "I, Gomes". That was the last name of the founder, Francisco Gomes, father of Manuel Gomes, the current master craftsman. If we follow the pronunciation backwards the 'e' is a short vowel (eh) and the 'o' is a long vowel (oh). Thus, Sehm-ohg. Whatever the meaning or pronunciation... Semogue = Great Brush! (I'm pretty sure that is the dictionary definition)

Again, I believe it must have three syllables. Perhaps "Sehm-oh-geh" would be more accurate. (But see the disclaimers in my previous post.)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I say it like this....
proxy.php

There you go, gents, Mick remembered what I told.

In resume, the "e" between the "s" and "m" is silent just like the "e" at the end, so that's why I wrote "smog", that's the word in English that most resembles the pronuniation.

Straight from Leon (Bruno) at vintage scent:

There you go, gents, Mick remembered what I told.

In resume, the "e" between the "s" and "m" is silent just like the "e" at the end, so that's why I wrote "smog", that's the word in English that most resembles the pronuniation.

Wow, Portugal's Portuguese is much more different than I expected... I apologize for the misinformation throughout.

To revive this old thread, in Portuguese is pronounced "smog". This is what I clearly heard from a video on YT spoken in native Portuguese, about this brand. How it's pronounced in English or any other language is irrelevant. "Smog" is the correct pronouncing and so it should be used, if we consider ourselves passionate about shaving (and shaving terminology).

Top Bottom