What's new

Correct Slim razor codes

Hey Folks

Can anyone please confirm if these Gillette Slim razor codes are correct years and quarters for the cases, and if not, can someone please advise what are the correct codes for those cases

Gold case – I4 (fourth quarter of 1963)
Red case – L1 (first quarter of 1966)
Blue case – L2 (second quarter of 1966)
Black case – M1 (first quarter of 1967)

And what are the correct blade packs for these cases

Thank you

Strange. I was sure that there was an answer to my question here just before I started work early this am, but now I don't see it?
It was me. I prepped a fairly lengthy and detailed answer, but I noted a minor error on a blade type after the edit window closed and asked the mods if it could be edited. Unfortunately the whole post is now gone. Comms snafu.

I will re write it. Stay tuned.

Ok.

The correct date colours are

1961 G-3 to 1963 I-4 Gold Insert cases.

1964 J-1 to 1966 L-1 Red Insert cases.

1966 L-2 to 1968 N-4 Black Insert Cases.

I have noted the L-2 case, and I think it's an issue with the dye colour on the plastic on that case run. Its a black tinged with a kind of violet. It gives the impression of blue but I believe it to be black.

There was a TV Special case in a bright blue in the K-3 quarter. It may be a one off or Gillette may have repeated it.

Blades were intially a 6 pack dispenser in 1961-2 containing the Super Blue.
proxy.php

Soon after, Gillette became the last of the shaving giants to introduce a stainless blade and this was included in a 2 blade dispenser from late 1962. The pack was identical to below but marked with 2 blades contained
proxy.php

Gillette Super Stainless blades were sold from K-4 1965 in 2 blade dispensers with the Slim. This continued until the end of Slim production in 1968 N-4.

The dispensers were identical to this
proxy.php

Except the packages were marked 2 blades instead of 5 above. Apart from that they were identical.

I hope this helps @aussietanker

Last edited:
It was me. I prepped a fairly lengthy and detailed answer, but I noted a minor error on a blade type after the edit window closed and asked the mods if it could be edited
Ahhh.... so I wasn't going crazy! That really had me scratching my head for a while!
I hope this helps
Thank you. It is of enormous help. And I'm so grateful for you taking the time to write it up. I did actually go to the mr razor website to check for myself before writing the post, but just wasn't certain that I understood the timeline there correctly.

There is so much knowledge on here that is incredible!

Thank you

Top Bottom