What's new

THE Injector Razor Thread

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Injectors are peaking my interest at the moment I have a Schick adjustable that gets some use in the rotation. I just wanted to ask what injector is considered a must have or try? Comparable to say like the 1912 is the workhorse of the SE world. I've had my eye on the pal adjustable just based on looks but the mixed reviews makes me hesitate. Thanks in advance gentlemen.

You'll likely get some different answers, but for my money the two must haves/try are the Type E and the Type M - Adjustable, which you have covered. I'd say the Type E is the 1912 of the Schicks. Some of the later Schicks had some campy designs, like tennis rackets or gearshift handles, but are not very efficient shavers on heavier beards. A nice type E can be had for peanuts still ..

I've got the Personna Adjustable, it is nice looking but I prefer the Schick Type M and the Personna seldom gets out for a spin. There was some sort of obscure problem with some of them, but it has been several years since I recall hearing about it.

Injectors are peaking my interest at the moment I have a Schick adjustable that gets some use in the rotation. I just wanted to ask what injector is considered a must have or try? Comparable to say like the 1912 is the workhorse of the SE world. I've had my eye on the pal adjustable just based on looks but the mixed reviews makes me hesitate. Thanks in advance gentlemen.
The PAL Adjustable is One of the Finest Injectors ever made..The Mixed Reviews on them are because some Folks are Not Sensitive Enough to Use them..There is a PAL Adjustable Pass Around Thread around here if you Click back..Its a Recent Thread & around Half the Folks Struggled to Use it..Its the same Razor that others get the Shave of their Lives..:w00t:

In the Past Folks Blamed it on this & that..The Truth is..Some Folks just Cant Use it..:001_cool:

Billy

Yeah I've been reading up on the pass around thread some loved it some didn't care for it at all unfortunately the pass around is over now a day late and a dollar short I always am.

You'll likely get some different answers, but for my money the two must haves/try are the Type E and the Type M - Adjustable, which you have covered. I'd say the Type E is the 1912 of the Schicks.
While I don't like the Type M Adjustable, I think your recommendation odd the Type E being the "1912" of Injectors is bang on. My clear favorite is my early Type E2 with the head that opens. I have close to 80 vintage DEs, SEs and Injectors and my Type E2 is probably my desert island razor.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't care for the type M. I have one and I can't for the life of me get a good shave but my type G is magnificent
I was starting to think I was the only one who disliked the Schick Adjustable. I don't share your enthusiasm for the Type G though. I have three Type G Injectors and find them all both harsher and less efficient than any of my Type Es.

I have several injectors, but there are 4 that I wouldn't want to be without (in no particular order):

Schick Early E2 - the type that opens - aggressive yet super-smooth

PAL Injecto-Matic - second to the E2 as a favorite, or the E2 is second to this, depending on my mood. They're both great razors.

PAL Adjustable - With its futuristic looks and mostly stainless steel construction I'd love it even if it wasn't a great shaver. Fortunately, it is a great shaver.

Schick I1 - This one would not make the cut if it were not for Twin Blades, which turn this mild mannered razor into a top performer. Twin blades will not fit any of the other razors on my list.

There are plenty of other great injectors, but I could get by with those 4.

For those who don't like the Schick M Adjustable, try one with Twin Blades.

--Bob

Favorite injector?? I have an early, opening E-2, a white handled I-1, an N-1 and a Personna. I like the E-2 it's very efficient, but the I-1 is almost, at least to me, as efficient but slightly smoother. The other two are Meh. If I want a non-rushed shave I will use the E, if I need to rush, I'll use the I. The other two are used as the mood strikes.

I have several injectors, but there are 4 that I wouldn't want to be without (in no particular order):

PAL Injecto-Matic - second to the E2 as a favorite, or the E2 is second to this, depending on my mood. They're both great razors.

PAL Adjustable - With its futuristic looks and mostly stainless steel construction I'd love it even if it wasn't a great shaver. Fortunately, it is a great shaver...

--Bob
+1. The Pal adjustable also has the benefit of some much-needed additional weight because of its size and construction.

UK or US Injectomatic? I only have the US version so far, and while I like it more than most of my Injectors, it doesn't equal my opening head Type E2. I've been trying to find a UK Injectomatic, the version without the round spring, for awhile with no luck.

UK or US Injectomatic? I only have the US version so far, and while I like it more than most of my Injectors, it doesn't equal my opening head Type E2. I've been trying to find a UK Injectomatic, the version without the round spring, for awhile with no luck.

I have one of each. The UK version (on the right in the picture below) is chrome finished and has the round spring and Schick style handle.

$2pals.jpg

I tend to reach most often for the UK version, mostly because the chrome finish is more durable than the gold plating on the US version, and because the purple collar on the handle looks way cool. :thumbup1:

To be honest I cannot tell much difference between them in the way that they shave.

--Bob

Are the PAL adjustables somewhat rare? I don't see too many floating around on the bay, and the ones that are they want big bucks for them.

PAL Adjustable - With its futuristic looks and mostly stainless steel construction I'd love it even if it wasn't a great shaver. Fortunately, it is a great shaver.

Schick I1 - This one would not make the cut if it were not for Twin Blades, which turn this mild mannered razor into a top performer. Twin blades will not fit any of the other razors on my list.

There are plenty of other great injectors, but I could get by with those 4.

--Bob
+1 on putting twin blades in the Adjustable. It takes it to a whole new level. (Same on the I1...) :thumbup1:

Are the PAL adjustables somewhat rare? I don't see too many floating around on the bay, and the ones that are they want big bucks for them.

The PAL Adjustable was introduced in 1962 and only manufactured for a few years. So, there aren't too many of them around, and buzz about them on the forums tends to drive up the price.

Keep in mind that Buy It Now items on eBay that show up in a search are usually overpriced, because if someone puts up a BIN at a good price someone else will immediately snap it up. The only way you get the good price is if your luck/timing is really good.

--Bob

So far I have only used twins in my M and have gotten very good results.

The NOS Schick Twin gave it's usual great performance, but I must say it wasn't really any better than I get from a non-adjustable. That andI didn't get as many shaves as I usually do, although that could have been from playing around with the different settings.

The Japanese twin was another story.

I tried the J-twin in my J1 and the results were mediocre at best. Harsh and it burned out quick....only about 5 decent shaves. In the M though it's really shined. Now I've had to adjust it more than the NOS but it also responds better to the adjustments and I'm up to 9 shaves and it's really hit it's stride. Very smooth and comfortable and at setting 7 it's giving a nice close shave.

One thing I have noticed about injectors is they are very blade finicky and there is usually one particular blade that really makes them give their finest shave. The trick is figuring out which one.

Even my PAL Injecto-Matic...which I loathe...gives a half-assed passable shave with the right blade.

Yeah I bought 40 NOS twins for my type M and it seems to shave a little better but not big improvement.

I'll give it a few more chances then decide whether to keep the type M.

I finally threw out the last of my NOS Eversharps. They did not live up to their name unless I add an N in front.

So, for next few days until GEMini

MW (Blue) Barbershop
PAL Adjustable
Personna 74
Omega S brush

Now that's a winning combination.

Top Bottom