What's new

How often do you lose a nice pen?

Never. Like others have stated I too leave the "favorites" at home and if I'm carrying I'll carry that I don't want to lose but if I somehow do it won't be the end of the world.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I did leave a favorite at home once and that one did get stolen. I have never lost a pen though. That would be like losing your keys or losing a wallet or losing the shoes you were wearing.

Never. I have a Kaweco Sport Classic that is my every-day carry. The best nib I've ever had, so I'd hate to lose it, but it wouldn't break my heart (or wallet.) I have my grail pen, a Montegrappa sterling silver Reminiscence, safely wrapped gently in a suede pen roll; it never leaves my desk.

Haven't lost one yet. I did have a gifted pen stolen on the same day it was gifted. It was a nice Esterbrook fountain pen I had given to one or our social studies teachers. She left it out on her desk while she was teaching elsewhere in her room. The "it wasn't me" party claimed he had no idea what we were talking about. Unfortunately his bright blue hands said otherwise. Seems he "borrowed" it to see how it worked. When it broke apart in his hands he threw it away.

I still have the Parker Jotter ballpoint my first high school girlfriend gave me many birthdays ago. It's still going strong.

The larger Reminiscence, octagonal, in the Greek Key pattern. Fine nib. Really a handful of pure pen; I love it. Writes really well.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The larger Reminiscence, octagonal, in the Greek Key pattern. Fine nib. Really a handful of pure pen; I love it. Writes really well.

There was also a vermeil version initially and the earliest versions had an ebonite section.

Before I moved from England to Mallorca 10 years ago, I spent 18 years of my life working in various 2,3 & 4* hotels
One thing I learned the hard way was that any pen was like gold dust

I used to carry 2 pens in my pocket - a nice pen, often a Parker or a Schaeffer and a cheap ballpoint biro
Whenever I needed a signature on a docket for a round of drinks or a room service order, I used to let the guest use my nioce pen, but always made sure that the guest signed in front of me and more importantly I always got the pen back. If a guest tried to put my pen into his pocket, a discreet "My pen please, Sir" always ensured that I got it back - sharpish!!

If anybody, whether a guest, a member of staff or management or even somebody from Head Office (some of the worst culprits for pocketing a pen) asked to borrow a pen, he or she always got the biro-
Most of the time they were fairly honest and 9 times out of 10 they returned the biro to me, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if I'd ever let a decent pen out of my sight, I'd have never seen it again !!

One of the most sensible regulations that Hilton ever wrote in the rule book was to make it a brand standard that any member of staff who didn't hand a Hilton pen to a guest to sign a docket with could be pulled up-
Prevention was better than cure and I never had a problem with a pen going "walkabout"

Never. Not yet, at least. Using a dedicated pen case [I like the Piquadro or Pelikan 3-pen models] help prevent loss.

Thankfully, I have never lost a pen. However, I thought that I lost a Twsbi Micarta clipless fountain pen. I thought I might have left it at a class. Finally, after a month of being depressed over my stupidly, I found the pen, in the original notebook that came with it.
proxy.php

Dog go ahold of a Kaweco Sport Ice that had turned up after being lost for months in my recliner (that I searched in many times!) Same dog also got a hold of a Pelikan M200 gray marble that was on my bedside table. It might be repairable but I doubt it. I have yet to lose a pen to theft or forgetfulness.

In the same recliner that hid my Kaweco I had lost a pilot vanishing point in the Japanese yellow. It turned up the some time after the Kaweco did despite looking through the Cushions and turning it upside down many times!

Sadly the puppy pulled my chef coat off a chair and chewed on the pocket some. She broke the mechanism to make it work. Pilot USA wanted $75 for a new body part and it could have taken six weeks. I ordered another pen off eBay from Japan for $72 after shipping but it had an alloy nib, not gold. So now I've got some spare parts and it only took a week and a half to get here.

Last edited:
Like clock work when I was working, but now that I'm retired the only thing I think I'm losing (sometimes) is my mind.

I have lost every Kaweco I have every owned, including ones with additional cost nibs. Right now I cannot find my B&B special edition Edison. I do think the latter will turn up. I had a Cross ball point pen I used throughout graduate school that I literally lost on the last day!

I had an eel skin pattern Waterman Le Man 100 ball point I cannot seem to find, even though I rarely used it that I suppose I have to declare lost.

Otherwise, I have not lost any expensive or beloved pens.

Top Bottom