What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Found a full sized mottled Escher/Thüri! 10*2 inches.

other hones just for comparison. It is a little bit darker than the bouts from hatzicho, but feels and polishes the same.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Colour difference with Y/G/Blue combo, and light Green/Blue combo. And a Dark Blue.

proxy.php

Greetings Sebastian.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Very nice, Sebastian! Did you find it in your basement, under a box full of 10 inch thuris? Haha. Nice score.

Yeah, my mottled black thuri is that dark if not darker. Is it any harder than the lighter ones?

The one is definately harder than the lighter bouts, as the lighter seems smoother to hone on, the outcoming edge is the same, little more coti like than an classic escher edge. And the main advantage is in my opinion, they are a lot faster than the other varietys. Good edge after maybe Chosera 5k in no time (with slurry).

@David: Not from my basement, just a ebay fish(via moderate price offer :))

Greets Sebatian.

Got my stones from the last post today, i hope i will stay alive tonight and Ian will not directly flight to germany and hit me with one of his 12inch Thuris ;-)

All the ten stones are vintage Thuringian stones...to be fair i expected a bit bigger size...there all around 11,5 x 2,5cm...however i really like the stones which are comparable to the stone i showed with the cutted corners...

It seems to be that the stones are from that greyish layer which is a bit harder then a light green or yellow green layer...here is the stone with cutted edges:
proxy.php

All stones:
proxy.php

Five of them are "special" ones, some are clouded thuris:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Lol, congrats again. Some day the devil will come for that soul you promised him, however.

The pic isn't working, by the way.

What are they, 25x150s?

Nice score man. They're "old-man" thuringians. All salt and pepper. I like that wavy one with the actual Salt and pepper pattern (last pic). Very cool.

Thanks Scott...yeah totally agreed nothing special back in the past ;-) and probably very easy to get hold of them....

I'm sure I beat several of you out on this one. I cut it from the box (nice box, shame there's no top). It was caulked in there recently, as the caulk wasn't brittle or stained at all. I almost suspect the seller did it. Why? I can't say. Makes no sense to me to cover up the backside. There's a dish there, but it's very minor, wouldn't have hurt the value of the stone. Possibly the people he got it from did so because they didn't know any better and thought the light scratches and swarf residue would detract from the stones value as an "antique", you never know how those dealers minds work over here, I expect it's the same in the UK.

I will say this though, damn fresh caulk is a nightmare to clean off. I'm going to have to lap the surface of the stone (already perfectly lapped) to remove the bit of residue that worked its way up there while cleaning the back side of the stone.

Attachments

• $20141103_180723.jpg
    $20141103_180723.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 108
  • $20141103_180734.jpg
    $20141103_180734.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 108
  • $20141103_180747.jpg
    $20141103_180747.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 107
Food and Beer or stones. Can't have both. You just have to look at it as your retirement plan.

Seriously though, I had about $600 laying around from selling off 90% of my smaller thuri collection about a year ago, and I cleared out a couple dozen razors and misc stones recently as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom