What's new

Old school shave powder

Hi all, I'm new to the Forums. I've been a barber for 10 years. I'm from the states but currently live and work in Dublin at The Waldorf Barbershop. I was wondering if there was a place to buy shave powder anymore. Before you jump to the reply button please know that i am NOT talking about ethnic shave powder that chemically removes hair. I mean the one that is rubbed into the brush and lathers up in the palm of your hand. thanks, i look forward to being a part of this community

Welcome to B&B!

I think commercial powdered shaving soaps are long gone. Possibly you could approach a small-scale soap-maker about making one for you? Here is what I posted the last time this topic came up. You can click through to read the rest of the thread if you like.

http://books.google.com/books?id=UQuAAAAAMAAJ&dq=shaving soap powder&pg=PA430#v=onepage&q&f=false has a recipe:

proxy.php

Hi all, I'm new to the Forums. I've been a barber for 10 years. I'm from the states but currently live and work in Dublin at The Waldorf Barbershop. I was wondering if there was a place to buy shave powder anymore. Before you jump to the reply button please know that i am NOT talking about ethnic shave powder that chemically removes hair. I mean the one that is rubbed into the brush and lathers up in the palm of your hand. thanks, i look forward to being a part of this community

I was once asked to look into this by an elderly barber who used to use this type of product and was very fond of it. However it hasn't been made in the UK / USA for several decades but we did identify a Japanese shaving powder which came in a tin and manufactured for their domestic market by "Kao". Kao are one of those long-established (100 years+) soap and cosmetics brands which many Japanese have a strong affection for. Anyway, the cost of shipping was too high so we abandoned the idea of trying to get some but if you know someone who speaks Japanese they may be able to help you if it is still being made.

There is / was another powder made in Greece called "Splendid" but whether this is still being made is anyone's guess.

Chances are there are still a few barbershops with several vintage kilos of this stuff gathering dust out the back of their shops.

Shaving powder is essentially just your standard potassium + sodium salts shaving soap but with a very low moisture content so that it can be pulverized into a powder. Here's an extract from Balsam (ed), Cosmetics Science and Technology, Wiley Interscience (2nd ed), 1972, which says as much…

$Shaving Powder.JPG

Last edited:
Nice post this stuff is so cool how when someone needs something everyone who knows alittle about what is being asked, is willing to help out. this is a nice community, Im glad to be a part of .

You work at the Waldorf in Dublin? Sorry, can't be of help with the question but please give Liam and Linda our best.

Chris

You work at the Waldorf in Dublin? Sorry, can't be of help with the question but please give Liam and Linda our best.

Chris

i will indeed! Who shall i say the greeting is from? Liam and I were talking about shave powder and i said i would do some research and try my best to aquire some.. i've been searching.. comming up dry :(

Im not sure where you can get it around you, but i see shave powder in Target stores. Comes in a gold can. Ive always been tempted to buy some to see what the heck it is.

Welcome! Its very cool you work at the waldorf! I have watched their youtube videos over and over. Especially the one of Liam honing on his coticule. I have several coticules and love them.

I have only see the old barber powdered soap on ebay from time to time...unfortunately.

Here's a reach....

Try calling Marvy directly - I had a catalog or price sheet or something from them last year, and I swear I remember the powder being listed.

I always keep an eye out for shave powder and every so often search the web to see if I can find it. The only shave powder I have ever found is vintage never found any modern product. Here is a thread with a little info. If you do find some shave powder that is still made let us know.
I have been lucky to use about 4 different brands of vintage shave powder. They are Williams, Colgate, Rexall and Ovil Tone.

Top Bottom