What's new

How Did the Three Pass Shave Originate? One or Two Passes Were Standard Historically.

IMO its a "one up manship" fad
More must be better right.
"I hate 3 blade cartridges so I do 3 passes with one blade instead" 😂🤣
Its entertaining to me.
I believe its an internet created norm and your dates and data would seem to back that up.
Cool aid, cool aid taste great, people love to be told what to do by the internet. More passes more products bought, equals more money for the vendors who advertise on the internet I must say they have a very good gig. Just my opinion

I started shaving in the 1960s with one pass ATG and no touch ups. It’s the way my dad shaved.
Now I do two passes ATG with touch ups. I don’t think my dad did a two pass shave in his life.
Hi Ankerwycke, Per my initial post in this thread your experience is pretty consistent with my first 5 years of shaving (then moved to an electric returning to DE around 4 years ago) when I used a Black Beauty DE and canned shaving foam. One pass with some touch up for a DFS. My research for the initial post on this thread further confirmed that one to two passes were likely closer to the norm back when DE and SE were the predominant shaving tools. Three pass is a more recent recommendation amplified by the internet.

My current preferred method is 2 passes with touch up that takes my DFS to BBS. Current vary shaving direction on different parts of my face with both passes ATG on my cheeks and one XTG followed by the 2nd ATG on the neck area.

Bottom line there is no "standard" DE or SE shaving method, we should each do what works best for us with our preferred tools.

Hi Ankerwycke, Per my initial post in this thread your experience is pretty consistent with my first 5 years of shaving (then moved to an electric returning to DE around 4 years ago) when I used a Black Beauty DE and canned shaving foam. One pass with some touch up for a DFS. My research for the initial post on this thread further confirmed that one to two passes were likely closer to the norm back when DE and SE were the predominant shaving tools. Three pass is a more recent recommendation amplified by the internet.

My current preferred method is 2 passes with touch up that takes my DFS to BBS. Current vary shaving direction on different parts of my face with both passes ATG on my cheeks and one XTG followed by the 2nd ATG on the neck area.

Bottom line there is no "standard" DE or SE shaving method, we should each do what works best for us with our preferred tools.
Hi, I just did a one pass ATG for years without even thinking about it. Always wash my face or shower before shaving, and always shave on the blade, never steep or shallow.
I started doing two passes in my late 50s, adding touch ups as I got older.
I started cold water shaving about eight years ago because of dry skin issues.
My dad advised me to shave against the growth when I first started shaving, and I’ve no doubt my grandfather shaved the same way.

Hi, I just did a one pass ATG for years without even thinking about it. Always wash my face or shower before shaving, and always shave on the blade, never steep or shallow.
I started doing two passes in my late 50s, adding touch ups as I got older.
I started cold water shaving about eight years ago because of dry skin issues.
My dad advised me to shave against the growth when I first started shaving, and I’ve no doubt my grandfather shaved the same way.
Regarding shaving WTG vs ATG some of the old, pre-DE, shaving manuals advise to always shave WTG to mitigate the risk of the blade cutting ones face after turning downward by catching on the hairs. Wonder if many of the instructions recommending an initial WTG pass are carryovers from what was then a recommended practice for SE shaving? Suspect that with the level of safety provided by DE vs. SE razors that this risk is largely mitigated enabling safer first pass ATG shaves for those who prefer shaving this way.

Like you, ATG on a first pass works very well for me where I use it. Of course YMMV based on preferences and beard characteristics always applies.

I'm a 2 Pass And A Touchup guy.
When I was using carts, I was a 1-pass shaver. I'd love to travel back in time and see how close my shave was back in those days compared to using DE safety razors now ...
I do think we tend to romanticize The Good Olde Days a bit too much sometimes. We can luxuriate in shaving today because many of us, myself included, have more time or work from home. I'm retired so I can take all the time I want most days. But back in the 1950's, when many of my razors were made, a Gillette Super Speed was merely a tool to remove whiskers and the faster, the better. The office was waiting. As my brother said once, "The dad had to shave because back then nobody showed up for work who wasn't clean-shaven. And he didn't have a lot of time. He grabbed a quick shave and maybe a cup of coffee, put on his suit and hat, kissed the wife goodbye and got into his pink and gray Packard for the commute to work."

I'm a 2 Pass And A Touchup guy.
When I was using carts, I was a 1-pass shaver. I'd love to travel back in time and see how close my shave was back in those days compared to using DE safety razors now ...
I do think we tend to romanticize The Good Olde Days a bit too much sometimes. We can luxuriate in shaving today because many of us, myself included, have more time or work from home. I'm retired so I can take all the time I want most days. But back in the 1950's, when many of my razors were made, a Gillette Super Speed was merely a tool to remove whiskers and the faster, the better. The office was waiting. As my brother said once, "The dad had to shave because back then nobody showed up for work who wasn't clean-shaven. And he didn't have a lot of time. He grabbed a quick shave and maybe a cup of coffee, put on his suit and hat, kissed the wife goodbye and got into his pink and gray Packard for the commute to work."
They were wonderful times only most people were to busy to notice

Now want to should off against any number of passes.

But if your Beard is not like finishing nails, and your getting good results with a single pass.

Why do more then nessessary to get desired results?

Could not even think of telling my USMC DI, sorry Sargent T, I need more time for extra passes.

Think that would hsve only resulted in another beating by our Senior DI who was being diplomatic nuts between ears.

The OP's question was, where did the 3 pass originate. I am not sure we will ever know the answer, but my guess would be that it likely originated here on B&B or YouTube. And as other have noted many do a 3 pass shave because they can and it found its way into being an unofficial Gold Standard for a proper shave. But let's keep it in perspective. My father grew up in the Depression and he was a no nonsense guy. One pass with touch ups and out the door to work. He had a family to feed and the mood of post-Depression was work hard, raise a family, rebuild a country. We modern guys who are having fun with a cool hobby with tons of hardware and software have time on our hands to do multiple passes, because we can. And the mood of our time is different.
I think this is truly one of those YMMV things.
I have done 3 pass shaves and I dont quite get the magic. For me it is similar to shoveling the driveway in a snowstorm. It doesnt take long before the stubble is making its presence known again.
And if you want a BBS shave it depends on the type of razor you use and your beard type. For me I do a one pass with touch ups and I am good to go. If I get a BBS then it's a bonus, but I dont fuss too much over that. A straight razor is a different tool: I have often said if you need more than one pass to get a BBS the you are doing some wrong. A properly honed and stropped SR is the ultimate adjustable razor. It is simply the nature of the tool.
Interesting thread. I have enjoyed reading the many different views.
Just do one against the grain pass then.

Why do vendors (some vendors) push everything but the kitchen sink, most of which was never heard of in the early 70’s when I started shaving, pre shave oil, pre shave cream mixing soap with cream the list goes on and on. My grandfather shaved with a straight razor and bar soap that was in the bathroom and only one shaving brush, now they tell you the brush needs to be completely dry to use it again so you buy more and more brushes. If a shaving item gets canonized by the internet it becomes gospel, and no turning back. Sorry for the long winded comment I had to say what was on my mind and just my opinion
The reason some companies are pushing pre-shave oil is because their shaving soap isn’t slick enough, and causes irritation. At least that’s what I’ve discovered, anyways. Most of the soap companies are taking tallow out of their shave soaps and using glycerin. This also seems to be the case with bar soap. Myself, I have to use a moisturizng bar to shower with, or my skin will itch really bad. I think it’s another way for companies to make extra cash.

IMO its a "one up manship" fad
More must be better right.
"I hate 3 blade cartridges so I do 3 passes with one blade instead" 😂🤣
Its entertaining to me.
I believe its an internet created norm and your dates and data would seem to back that up.
With a 3 blade cartridge razor you have 3 blades going in the same direction.

The reason some companies are pushing pre-shave oil is because their shaving soap isn’t slick enough, and causes irritation. At least that’s what I’ve discovered, anyways. Most of the soap companies are taking tallow out of their shave soaps and using glycerin. This also seems to be the case with bar soap. Myself, I have to use a moisturizng bar to shower with, or my skin will itch really bad. I think it’s another way for companies to make extra cash.
Bottom line you hit the nail on the head, companies keep pushing what the market will bare to make more profits, which is their bottom line and strictly business. I was on a bar soap with a straight razor kick a few years ago because my grandfather shaved that way and there was a video of a man Billy hukin who shaved that way for 75 years so I had to prove to myself I could.

I completely concur. It was a wonderful time to grow up.
I didn't mean to imply it was a bad time at all, just very different from today. We have more leisure time than they had back then, for one thing. I guess that's a good thing ... probably.
Maybe.
I didn’t take like you meant it was a bad time in history, I know just what you mean and I couldn’t agree more. Much simpler times gone forever and new generations will never know what they missed

I didn’t take like you meant it was a bad time in history, I know just what you mean and I couldn’t agree more. Much simpler times gone forever and new generations will never know what they missed
Precisely. :thumbsup:
I'm a huge fan of the era for a myriad of reasons. A much simpler time before everything sort of went haywire. And great shave products, both in terms of design and materials.
It's no coincidence that my favorite razors are a half dozen Gillette Super Speeds from that era. 🍻

Precisely. :thumbsup:
I'm a huge fan of the era for a myriad of reasons. A much simpler time before everything sort of went haywire. And great shave products, both in terms of design and materials.
It's no coincidence that my favorite razors are a half dozen Gillette Super Speeds from that era. 🍻
Gillette super speed a fantastic razor, I have four of them ranging from 1948 up to a 1958 red tip they all give a great shave

2 pass shave and if needed a touch up. Mapped by my dad, who taught me at 16 using a SR. Got into DE's in my mid 20s. Dad (95) is amazing, he instilled focus, consistency and a understanding of the face / growth. I pretty much can shave with anything, thanks to him. He also would add fun and good old dad jokes. The man never stops moving, busy, happy and engaged with hands like vice grips. He still irons and of his pants including jeans. Shoes buffed and shined. He never had a beard, mustache or stubble...Stealthy shaver.. only because he was up very early every day. I (66)knew he was a home hero, I new he was in the Army. But I did know until I was 30, when he was on Korean War he got a Bronze metal.
So all...when you shave, smile...and try to remember your great parents...
BFX
2 passes + & a smile...
Enjoy every moment...

Top Bottom