What's new

Old stuff (besides razors and brushes) we use in the practice of wet shaving

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
The diverse members of this community carry on the practice of traditional wet shaving for a variety of reasons. These include the economy it offers those who choose to pursue that discipline; the opportunities to engage in excess it presents those of us with either a passion for collecting (e.g., razors, brushes) and/or a penchant for conspicuous consumption (e.g., soaps, creams, aftershaves); the challenges involved in achieving mastery; the Zen-like meditative mindfulness true mastery requires; and, of course, the satisfaction that deservedly results from the proverbial BBS shave. Also, many of us, young and no so young, appreciate the traditional aspects of wet shaving, which comprise elements of the activity itself, along with the tools and accessories employed in it. This thread is about the latter: old tools and accessories we've put to use in the practice (whether or not such use was originally intended). The reason I excluded razors and brushes in the title is that they have their own fora here, and this isn't intended to take anything away from them.

I've posted several threads to share old stuff I've found (or been given), the most recent being this one. But I'm never quite sure whether it’s appropriate to dedicate a separate thread to a single bottle, or bowl, or refurbished and repurposed cabinet. I hope this will attract broad sharing and become a showcase for all kinds of old stuff lucky enough to find appreciative use in the practice of wet shaving. I happen to believe most old stuff would rather be used than useless.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
This is a scuttle my mom found and gave it me. I use it regularly with smaller brushes. I believe the intent behind its design was that soap be placed in the top and the brush tip dipped in the spout, but I'm not sure about that. In any case, what I do is fill the bottom with near boiling water before I shower, refill it with hot water before I lather, and then keep the brush and lather warm by placing the brush in the top while I shave. It works great.

The scuttle amazingly has no crazing; it looks perfectly new.

$PB160507c.jpg

$PB160509c.jpg

$PB160513c.jpg

$PB160514c.jpg

I guess I don't use anything else old in the course of shaving, but I like the idea of this thread. I guess one aspect is not only the way of shaving, but some of the products. I'm pretty sure most younger people don't know much about styptic pencils, witch hazel, or even things like bay rum. These are classic things that have fallen out of popularity, and if nobody is there could disappear. HEck, even aftershave was something I know I never knew much about, or cared about. I always that thought it was just another word for cologne. ...And I have a pretty old glass square glass jar thingy that I keep alcohol in, but I'm guessing it isn't really that old...

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I guess I don't use anything else old in the course of shaving, but I like the idea of this thread. I guess one aspect is not only the way of shaving, but some of the products. I'm pretty sure most younger people don't know much about styptic pencils, witch hazel, or even things like bay rum. These are classic things that have fallen out of popularity, and if nobody is there could disappear. HEck, even aftershave was something I know I never knew much about, or cared about. I always that thought it was just another word for cologne. ...And I have a pretty old glass square glass jar thingy that I keep alcohol in, but I'm guessing it isn't really that old...

Thanks for the reply. I have an old, square glass jar I keep alcohol in too! I'll put up pics of it sooner or later.

Nice! If you look at my profile you can see the little set I have. I have added a bit more since that picture, but I'm proud of it so far. The glass jar is one of my favorite features in fact.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I picked up this old bottle on eBay. It kinda reminds me of Don Quixote -- long, lean,and a little out-of-kilter, so I decanted La Troja into it. The bottle is unusual in that it has two screw-on lids both of which are intact. I used a Feather blade to slice a thin section of cork to replace a rotted cork seal in the lower lid. It worked/works perfectly. It's easy to fill the bottle by removing the bottom section, and easy to control application by removing the top section. Note the design in the top, which can be seen near the lower right-hand corner of the first photo.

$PB160524c.jpg$PB160525c.jpg$PB160529c.jpg

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
This one speaks for itself. "Germany" appears in raised letter on the spout, so I decanted Speick AS into it. I did have to replace the cork. Works like a charm.

$PB160551c.jpg$PB160555c.jpg

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
This is an Ed Pinaud bottle with cap. I don't know what it originally contained; I've decanted Clubman into it.

"Insist on the Genuine"

$PB160531c.jpg

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Lucy Tiger was Kansas City (my home) company that took off based on the popularity of a hair tonic developed by a local barber. The bottles turn up around here frequently; but I don't often find them with their lids. My wife found this one at a flea market or some such thing. It was originally a hair tonic bottle. I have it filled with Lucky Tiger AS, which is VERY nice.

$PB160532c.jpg$PB160540c.jpg

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Nice! If you look at my profile you can see the little set I have. I have added a bit more since that picture, but I'm proud of it so far. The glass jar is one of my favorite features in fact.

NICE display, dude!!!

And if a piece of equipment isn't new, there's probably a good argument to be made that it qualifies as old. It's all relative.

Top Bottom