What's new

Going to try this again - with a Feather SS

My initial journey into straight shaving went a little awry...I wasn't able to get my technique buttoned down and to be honest, I didn't give the whole process nearly enough time. In addition, since I travel a lot for business, taking my stones, strop and accessories wasn't working out very well.

So, since I discovered the Cobra Classic and the Artist Club razors and blades, I figured I would try my hand at straight shaving once again. Due to the convenience of the Artist Club system, it seems to be a prudent choice.

I've read most of the posts regarding the Artist Club and I've decided to start out with a Folding SS in Black. I already have the Pro blades but ordered an additional package of the Pro Guard and Supers as well.

Any particular advice on the SS verses the Dovo 6/8 Bismarck that I originally started with? I've sold the Bismarck some time ago, but I understand that the "pressures" used with the Feather will need to be considerably lighter than a traditional straight.

Any suggestions or comments on the 3 different types of Feather blades that I will have?

If...and only if...this works out, I will eventually move on to the Feather DX, which apparently shaves even closer than the SS.

My initial journey into straight shaving went a little awry...I wasn't able to get my technique buttoned down and to be honest, I didn't give the whole process nearly enough time. In addition, since I travel a lot for business, taking my stones, strop and accessories wasn't working out very well.

So, since I discovered the Cobra Classic and the Artist Club razors and blades, I figured I would try my hand at straight shaving once again. Due to the convenience of the Artist Club system, it seems to be a prudent choice.

I've read most of the posts regarding the Artist Club and I've decided to start out with a Folding SS in Black. I already have the Pro blades but ordered an additional package of the Pro Guard and Supers as well.

Any particular advice on the SS verses the Dovo 6/8 Bismarck that I originally started with? I've sold the Bismarck some time ago, but I understand that the "pressures" used with the Feather will need to be considerably lighter than a traditional straight.

Any suggestions or comments on the 3 different types of Feather blades that I will have?

If...and only if...this works out, I will eventually move on to the Feather DX, which apparently shaves even closer than the SS.

Hi Tom: The SS is a excellent straight to start with. The design of the head sets the skin up for a great shave. You just have to watch your angles and of course pressure. Be sure to use NO pressure at all. Start with the SS, and once you get the technique down then move to the DX, the DX is a bit heavier and gives a great shave. As for blades, I don't care at all for the guard blades, I found that they caused more nicks and cuts than the regular or the super pro's. For myself I actually prefer the regular pro's because they afford a bit of flexibility to them. The Kai mild's are also very nice.

Yeah, if you can get ahold of Kai Milds, definitely use them instead of a guard blade. I know when I tried the Cobra they were silky smooth, and very forgiving.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The SS is very forgiving. The way the head is designed kinda helps to dictate the shaving angle. You want the rounded lips of the holder to be contacting the skin at the at the same time the blade does. As you get more skilled you can increase the angle as needed, but in the beginning the above will give an almost automatic shave.

IIRC the angle is actually a bit on the higher side as there is less blade exposure, but YMMV of course :).

I'm using the professional blades in my Feather AC RG folding and they are pretty comfortable, although this morning I gave myself a slight burn and a couple of small nicks that I never felt because I rushed a bit. Take your time, pay attention, and you'll be fine.

I find that the Feather SS razor needs a much flatter angle than regular straights to get the best results. Angle and gentle (controled) pressure works for me.

Top Bottom