What's new

Razorblade cufflinks

I occasionally do the french-cuff thing, too.

While kinda interesting & a bit unique, I'm not sure people that see it will 'get it'. Or, might get the wrong impression.

I've been looking for some reasonably priced ones that have the battery-powered LED in them for a dorky addition to my collection.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
they look cool, but are you ready to explain your "coke habit"?

Maybe one of those on one sleeve and one of these on the other?

proxy.php

While kinda interesting & a bit unique, I'm not sure people that see it will 'get it'. Or, might get the wrong impression.

This.

We might see a peek into one of our interests. Others might see it as an "Emo" thing, even though that lifestyle does not generally correspond to a person wearing a suit and French cuffs.
Not unlike my feelings about getting a tattoo of a straight razor.
I have nothing against ink or those who have tattoos. I have quite a number myself.
But there are sub-cultural statements made by the "cut-throat" razor that a person may not wish to associate themselves with.

It's not unlike the scene in "Wild Hogs" where the "Dudley" character showed up ready for their trip sporting a brand new "Apple Inc." logo on his shoulder... in full rainbow colors.

Many aspects of our interests are so far out of mainstream culture that only people who know us to be "old school" will catch on correctly to the image of many of our tools.

I think they are pretty cool. I am not seeing any of the bad connotations listed, just a sense of evil (which is good, as the devil is the root of all style, ergo, evil=stylish)

Interesting question as to whether these would bring up "the wrong" connotations. In the 1980s, I would say that you might be at risk. The association of cocaine and high flying, suit, braces, and cufflink wearing, say, Wall Streeters was there. But I do not think it is there anymore. For that matter, does anyone even use a razor blade to chop up illict drugs these days? I mean, I surely would not know, but if they do, do they make special buys from shaving vendors sites and are there special carrying cases and the like. A DE blade is hardly a common thing for people to have around these days. So is that association still there at all. Maybe to old movies.

I suppose DE blades as a icon have always has a punk connotation. That might still be there.

Heck, these links are not all that expensive. You could buy a pair and do a survey of reactions, to see what folks actually think, without too much potential damage to your reputation.

I am a fan of "novelty," for want of a better word, cufflinks myself. My favorite cufflinks are made of real Esterbrook fountain pen nibs.

I think I would be more careful of tats with razor blades, much less straights, in them. Even a straight razor in cufflinks, does not seem all that potentially agressive to me. In a tat, unless accompanied by a shaving brush and lather, it seems more likely a weapon, and thus a pretty agreesive statement.

But that is just me. It is hard to know what the public in general might think, and I am not saying that it is not something to be concerned about as a general rule. I do not think you want electric chair cufflinks, for instance, or even a hangman's noose, not even if that happens to be your government job.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am a fan of "novelty," for want of a better word, cufflinks myself. My favorite cufflinks are made of real Esterbrook fountain pen nibs.

They have the added benefit of keeping people from obsessing over your pink socks.

Top Bottom