What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Well he hasn't apologised once. He offered another razor, but I declined and opted for a refund. I was supposed to get it by now, but still nothing.

The same razor you "bought" looks to be for sale again...

Seriously? If this is true, then good looking out there Blake as this will give more ammo to Mjemec. Of course the seller could have copies of them.
Mjemec continue to fight this through pay pal too. That's horrible.

Today's slant razor was the Eros plastic/Bakelite. This is a German manufactured razor from the 1930s. Waits Compendium does not identify an address of the maker though has a photo of the razor and its packaging. It misstates that the plastic razor is a Gillette type with a "twisted" head. The slant is achieved through a slant built up on a parallel and even platform.

The chief attraction for me was the fact this razor has the head that is on the Walbusch B5. Eros was purchased by Walbusch or Emil Hermes of Merkur and this head immediately showed up on top of a Progress handle and adjustment knob assembly and was marketed as the Walbusch B5 adjustable razor.

The shave in plastic was acceptable and efficient but not spectacular. My normal routine is WTG, AgainstTG and XTG in the neck area. This razor performed all that without incident if a little lightly. At 20 grams it is close to the Italian Barber at 17 grams which is light. Paired with a Astra Superior Stainless it removed whiskers but not as smoothly as say one of the Solingen slant heads on an Apollo or any number of other razors with similar heads. Can imagine it would improve with the ability to adjust the blade exposure as on the Walbusch and with a little more weight. However, the design of the head and handle will not allow using one of the heavier modern handles such as Ikon, UFO, Muhle and Griest to name a few. Too bad as it would improve things. The threads on the cap do not match those on modern handles. Because of the size of the head it is difficult to shave the upper lip. In fact I gave up and quickly used a Bic Metal to cleanup that area.

see Rockabillyhelge's review of the B5 for further impressions and details.

$Eros 1.jpg$Eros 2.jpg$Eros 3.jpg$Eros 4.jpg

Refund finally received. Case closed. The buyer was very rude and to top it off he instructed me not to bid on his items ever again.

I've only just heard of a slant razor. All this time I thought these razors were damaged or bent. How is a slant better than a regular razor?

My very limited understanding as a new wet shaver and very new Slant shaver (as in, less than 3 weeks with a Merkur 39c barberpole) - imagine a blade being twisted such that the leading edge is like a guillotine (the blade is at an angle), presumably cutting hairs more efficiently. Also the twisting may make the blade more rigid and less susceptibe to flex. If you want to try a related technique, check out Mantic's video of the Gillette slide on youtube.

My very limited understanding as a new wet shaver and very new Slant shaver (as in, less than 3 weeks with a Merkur 39c barberpole) - imagine a blade being twisted such that the leading edge is like a guillotine (the blade is at an angle), presumably cutting hairs more efficiently. Also the twisting may make the blade more rigid and less susceptibe to flex. If you want to try a related technique, check out Mantic's video of the Gillette slide on youtube.

Except remember, once you have a slant in your hands shave with it like a normal DE razor. Do not try and help it along. Does all its work with normal DE strokes.

I find the angle on my slant to be a bit different to a de. The handle seems to be more parallel to the face than a regular setup. When you hit the right angle though, it is astonishingly good.

Wish someone would just make an oc old type setup slant that was three piece. You would think development costs would be relatively low reviving that design.

Been DE shaving for about a year and a half now and I finally bought the 37c slant...wow, nice! There is nothing scary about this slant razor at all. I did not adjust my technique and it really was super smooth with an Astra blade. Anyway...I wish I had not waited so long thinking that I needed to be a "vet" in order to use it properly. I would have been ready for this baby after a few weeks experience. I'm going to probably have to sell some of my razors to make room for another slant or two...or three, or four...

Hi guys.

I am 3 days into my DE career and loving it. Currently using a 34C. WHEN I get my 37C, I will be in. Like a BOSS. Can't wait.

Went to a store to pick up a 37c yesterday but it just didn't feel right! And they were sold out of the 39c....drat. I want to be a BOSS :(

ok, this is weird but I have been having awesome shaves with my slant for a week or so now but yesterday I put in a new blade and had the worst shave ever. It pulled and hurt like hell! I checked to make sure blade was seated in correctly and it was. I did not do anything different with my prep. I am stumped and hope that it was a fluke.

Has anyone else had such a wide swing with their slant experiences?

Top Bottom