What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

A few months ago, I came to the BOSS for slant shaving advice. I have a Merkur 37C, which had just given me a terrible shave with plenty of irritation and weepers.
Your recommendations:

1. Make sure the blade is seated properly.
2. Make sure the blade is seated properly.
3. Use a sharper blade.
4. Use a less aggressive angle than I would use with my 34C.

I finally got around to trying your advice, with special attention paid to # 1 & 2.

It worked! I used a Personna Med Prep, seated properly, and got a DFS shave (I did not want to push my luck this time going for BBS).

Next time a slant noob rears his bloody head, just use the four step process outlined above.

Thanks for the help!

A few months ago, I came to the BOSS for slant shaving advice. I have a Merkur 37C, which had just given me a terrible shave with plenty of irritation and weepers.
Your recommendations:

1. Make sure the blade is seated properly.
2. Make sure the blade is seated properly.

3. Use a sharper blade.
4. Use a less aggressive angle than I would use with my 34C.

I finally got around to trying your advice, with special attention paid to # 1 & 2.

It worked! I used a Personna Med Prep, seated properly, and got a DFS shave (I did not want to push my luck this time going for BBS).

Next time a slant noob rears his bloody head, just use the four step process outlined above.

Thanks for the help!

Which theory did you accept as truth on the blade seating? Aligned with Cap, or aligned with bar?

I haven't. Would love to see some pics and possibly a review though.
Concerning the Neo Lux, will do Lamboy. It'll probably be here in a few weeks, it's on it's way from the Netherlands. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics on threads. When I click on the upload icon, it doesn't work.
In other news, a new slant showed up. It almost exactly like the metal Ile de France, but it takes standard blades :) It's made of white bakelite and from Argentina. Very nice shave! Not as much blade exposure or gap as the "Merkur" bakelite slant. Slightly milder in comparison but still got a great shave. I'll post some pics when I figure it out.

Nice UFO Railroadman. So I am trying to collect enough quality slant pics to make a super awesome background theme for my computer. Obsessed?

The Neo lux is an upgraded Neo Ras and a very nice shave. Looks odd but works beautifully. Maybe you could do a full review of it when you figure out the picture thing.

Concerning the Neo Lux, will do Lamboy. It'll probably be here in a few weeks, it's on it's way from the Netherlands. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics on threads. When I click on the upload icon, it doesn't work.
In other news, a new slant showed up. It almost exactly like the metal Ile de France, but it takes standard blades :) It's made of white bakelite and from Argentina. Very nice shave! Not as much blade exposure or gap as the "Merkur" bakelite slant. Slightly milder in comparison but still got a great shave. I'll post some pics when I figure it out.

First I want to thank Zepplinkarte because due to his passion for slants that got me interested in them. I ordered a 37c on Wednesday from Phil @Bullgoose( the pkg. got here so fast it was still warm) and got it today , although too late for todays shave , is it tomorrow yet?!?!?! I now have 2 slants and am looking forwards to the shave of the 37. And thank you all for your shares. Enjoy!

Brothers and Sisters, I have seen the light!!!! Holy Socks, the 37C is really fine razor. It looks like it's out for blood, but don't be fooled.Loaded a new Polsilver SI , whipped up some P-160 with a EverReady/TGN 22 mm ff and began. I had no prob with blade alignment. I had read the good advice in the threads so blade to face and go! Good weight(76 gms.) and thus began my surprising shave. I mostly use Joris or Piccolo so the 1st surprise was the sheer smoothness(good prep aside) of the shave. Lots of feel, got my sideburns decently straight, under nose- no prob-went by feel of blade on skin. st pass wtg down. darned good. no nicks,cuts or weepers.Went for my 3 pass, no irritation at all, no burn. Sooooo I tried a ATG and holy cow it was much easier than my Joris(while aggressive it's smooth). Well bottom line is I now understand why slant lovers well, love slants. Gary a big thanks to you!No nicks, cuts or weepers A new level of DE shaving for me and one that I'm very glad to do every day of the month! Enjoy!

$P1070153.jpg :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

Hello,

Pretty new to the B&B.. was wondering how one goes about joining a group such as the B.O.S.S. I have a 37c and have been using it for quite a while. I'm acutally looking for a 39c, as I really like the longer handles and the weight. Anyone know where I could get a used one, or a good reputable site to purchase one?

Thx,

RM

Hello,

Pretty new to the B&B.. was wondering how one goes about joining a group such as the B.O.S.S. I have a 37c and have been using it for quite a while. I'm acutally looking for a 39c, as I really like the longer handles and the weight. Anyone know where I could get a used one, or a good reputable site to purchase one?

Thx,

RM

There are no rules to join the BOSS. All you need is a love of at least one slant head razor. Everyone feel free to use it in your signature and encourage others. We are a happy inviting group, with great shaves.

Just received this fasan open comb slant from a bst purchase. I had a bakelite from the Italian barber release but didn't really enjoy the shaves as it always left me looking for a slightly closer shave, and it also is extremely light. Don't know why but enough time passed and this popped up and I just jumped on it. Figured its an open comb, know more of the history, and its the "double slant" version so a lot more twisted. Had a great shave with a feather. Very tricky on the first few strokes to find out the angle of attack. It has a little more heft and a bigger handle than the IB bakelite. Great three pass shave with no touchups required which I usually need an extra XTG on chin. Very happy and so far I feel like this is a keeper as its a great cases example.
(Photos from sale as they are way better than what I could do)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top of the day all!,
Well today I put a Perma-Sharp in the 37c .Oh yeah! 3 passes(wtg ,xtg() dfs . Wowee zowee what a great shave and the slant sure does like gliding through the fat! Perma took this razor to where I like it! No need for me to go atg, some touch up and voila'! This was my third shave with it and it gets better each time I use it. Both the 37c and the Joris have surprised me with smoothness. For those of you that are thinking about going slant, do it!:thumbup:

Industria Argentina Slant Razor
$Industria Argentina Slant Razor 1.jpg
Very nice razor. Just like the ILE de France, but uses standard blades. Bakelite I suppose, but it could be some other type of resin/plastic. I compared this one's material with the "Merkur" Bakelite Slant and the Fasan OC Slant and all three seem to be made of different material.
This razor is a bit heavier when compared to the Merkur and Fasan. The blade exposure is smaller compared to most of my razors, and the blade gap is smaller too. Also the top cap looks like it has less curve to it.
The shaves are good. This one is milder of my 3 Bakelite slants, but still a good razor. After 3 passes and some touch ups, I have no complaints. ;) I'm experimenting with some shims right now to see if I could up the aggression with out losing too much smoothness.

In other news, my Neo Lux arrived today! I'm gonna take that bad jesse for a spin today and post a review soon.

Top Bottom