What's new

storm preparations for the unthinking

The aftermath of this storm may be more interesting than the storm itself. I'll be interested to see how long it takes to get the power back on over the entire area and how much looting goes on right after the storm. If this is bad as they say it might be, I think a lot of people are going to be in for a big surprise.

Thanks. Brunt of storm will be hitting Long Island sometime around 6pm. Just got that last shave in. Nice close one. Two passes with the Gillette Bulldog comb edge that I won here. Hope it brings good luck.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Wind is really picking up here and a lot more rain.

The Bay Bridge and both bridges over the Susquehanna River are set to close within the hour. The news is basically saying to pick whichever shore you want to be on because you will be there for a few days!

24,000+ without power across the state at this point

Tony

I'm in central N.J. It's getting bad here too but nothing like the coast. I just left the grainger distribution center and picked up a new generator, It took all day but I'm ready now

unless you have an infant to care for i don't get it either. milk, eggs, bread, always the first thing to run out. I've only always lived in the Midwest, so i've never had to deal with any major storms. Living in Chicago most of my life the Snow was all we really got, and it never bothered me. Now i live in TN and snow here is the biggest natural disaster "they" have to worry about, (and flooding sometimes). but when there is any mention of snow on the TV the stores are bought out of everything, including MILK, EGGS, and BREAD. i just have to laugh at them, 1-3 inches of snow and TN is shut down. but its all for the better tho, put a million people on the roadways that have never drove through snow and you will have your disaster!

i know i'd be buying water, dry goods, and canned food.
When I lived in Frederick, MD the local radio stations would track which stores still had milk, bread, and toilet paper every time it snowed. Apparently I was the only person that ate sandwhiches, drank milk and went to the bathroom at home during normal weather patterns.

If you can't find a generator and think you will need one, consider getting the biggest inverter that you can. My dad uses one hooked to a battery from his riding mower when he loses power. It's enough to run some lights and the TV. His is one of the larger ones and can run a sump pump or refrigerator or freezer for short periods of time. To do that he has to leave the battery in the lawn tractor and keep it running or the battery runs out.

It's times like this when one really notices the trees on one's neighbor's property. I think we're all sleeping on the first floor tonight.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
When I lived in Frederick, MD the local radio stations would track which stores still had milk, bread, and toilet paper every time it snowed. Apparently I was the only person that ate sandwhiches, drank milk and went to the bathroom at home during normal weather patterns.

If you can't find a generator and think you will need one, consider getting the biggest inverter that you can. My dad uses one hooked to a battery from his riding mower when he loses power. It's enough to run some lights and the TV. His is one of the larger ones and can run a sump pump or refrigerator or freezer for short periods of time. To do that he has to leave the battery in the lawn tractor and keep it running or the battery runs out.

I ran my sump pump last year after Irene with an inverter (thanks to our BrianW) for some 36 hours. Jumper cables from the car battery into the inverter and then a long extension cord down to the basement and run the pump. The battery I had initially hooked up to the inverter lasted about an hour.....The car was running overnight and the next day, took about a half tank, but we stayed dry in the basement for most of it. This year we have both, inverter and a generator, and I hope not to use them too long. We had lost power earlier, but not for too long. But as I see it now, the wind is really picking up and we are about 2 hours away from landfall, we will loose it in the next couple of hours for good....

I ran my sump pump last year after Irene with an inverter (thanks to our BrianW) for some 36 hours. Jumper cables from the car battery into the inverter and then a long extension cord down to the basement and run the pump. The battery I had initially hooked up to the inverter lasted about an hour.....The car was running overnight and the next day, took about a half tank, but we stayed dry in the basement for most of it. This year we have both, inverter and a generator, and I hope not to use them too long. We had lost power earlier, but not for too long. But as I see it now, the wind is really picking up and we are about 2 hours away from landfall, we will loose it in the next couple of hours for good....

Rudy- the inverter option is something I'm thinking of. Yours ran for one hour without being charged by the running car and 36 hours with the car running?
Sorry re-read this and its obvious. I figured it would run longer than one hour on the battery, unless it is never shutting off.

I have 2 car batteries and I can get about 6 hours out of my inverter running the sump pump. after that it is to the car battery

I'm a couple of towns away from Rudy. So far no loss of power, but I expect it. I learned from Irene and now have a generator. The winds are downright scary at times and due to get worse. Not too worried about flooding as with Irene. The water in my sump pit is about 8" lower than normal and the rains haven't been that heavy today. Only bad news so far is that my Ogallala order which was out for delivery never made it. But the good news is I still have plenty of gin.

Well, I lost power about 3 hours ago. Haven't kicked the generator on yet since it is still light out and not really cold. All of my fish are at the top of the water looking for oxygen, so I will probably turn it on soon, let I cool down the refrigerators too.
The wind is blowing like crazy here so it must be worse at the front lines in Jersey where the storm will hit first. I am hearing so many sirens, and these trees have got me very worried!
Good luck everyone, stay safe!

I'm a couple of towns away from Rudy. So far no loss of power, but I expect it. I learned from Irene and now have a generator. The winds are downright scary at times and due to get worse. Not too worried about flooding as with Irene. The water in my sump pit is about 8" lower than normal and the rains haven't been that heavy today. Only bad news so far is that my Ogallala order which was out for delivery never made it. But the good news is I still have plenty of gin.

Im close too, power is coming and going here

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy- the inverter option is something I'm thinking of. Yours ran for one hour without being charged by the running car and 36 hours with the car running?
Sorry re-read this and its obvious. I figured it would run longer than one hour on the battery, unless it is never shutting off.

When I ran the sump pump off the (spare, charged) battery via the inverter, the battery lasted about an hour or so. Then I connected the inverter to the battery in the car and had the car running from Sunday afternoon through Tuesday mid day. I am thinking doing the same for overnight, just run some small lights and the fridge, and tomorrow start the generator early in the morning. I was told not to run the generator when the storm is the worst, so late this afternoon and in the night. Also, there were supposedly some generators stolen from yards where people had installed ahead of time, a colleague just called and told me that. So, I guess someone is keeping an eye on the machine and have a "defensive" weapon handy as well......

I just pulled out all of our camping gear. We have an emergency stock in the basement already. Just bought a ton of water Saturday night before the melee. Got enough cans of beans to last me to the new year. If the power goes out, just need a fire and we'll be fine. Can't wait for the storm to pass, though. I'm gonna pick up one of the returned generators at a discount.

Top Bottom