What's new

VanDerHagen upgrade to a SilverTip

Of my shaving brushes, the worst (specially for face lathering) is the cheap brush that came with the VanDer Hagen kit from Wally World:
proxy.php

Here is an actual close up of the brush "before" the upgrade (those squares are 0.5" on each side):
proxy.php

And here is the 24x67 SilverTip knot from The Golden Nib:
proxy.php

And here is the photo essay of how I did the upgrade.......

Cut as much as the original brush as possible:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I used my 12x metal working lathe next, to start drilling/boring the existing brush out:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I then tested the size of the bored hole, and enlarged it sliglty so that I could get a portion of the new knot inside the handle to create a more compact shape/size:
proxy.php

I marked the right depth, and measured the size of the spacer needed:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Finally, epoxied everything together with 2=ton clear, 2-part epoxy, and here is the resulting "upgraded" shaving brush:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I will try it tomorrow and see how it works :)

Will

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nice job and thanks for all the detailed pics. Now you should make your own handle with a fine machine like that instead of re-using an injection molded one.

Thanks guys!

Nice job and thanks for all the detailed pics. Now you should make your own handle with a fine machine like that instead of re-using an injection molded one.
That is the next step. I actually bought two Silver Tip knots (one used for this upgrade), so the second one will go in a handle made from scratch :001_cool:

Will

Here is the new upgraded brush after being used this morning:
proxy.php

And here is the SilverTip next to the Omega Synthetic Badger brush, the Omega boar 31064 "banded" model, and Omega boar #49:
proxy.php

SilverTip on left, Omega artificial badger on the right:
proxy.php

In terms of softness, the Omega artificial badger is the softest, then comes the new/upgraded SilverTip, then the Omega #64 and finally the Omega #49. I no longer use the Omega artificial badger for face lathering as it is way too soft, but I really liked the SilverTip this morning: not quite as firm as the boar brushes (and does not hold as much lather as the large Omega #49), but it was soft and firm enough for face lathering.

Will

No offense, but I don't understand why anybody would go through the trouble and expense of putting a nice knot in a *** handle like that.

It's like wearing a $1000 suit with $10 shoes.

No offense, but I don't understand why anybody would go through the trouble and expense of putting a nice knot in a *** handle like that.

It's like wearing a $1000 suit with $10 shoes.

No ofense taken. Besides my labor, total cost was $20 for the new Silver Tip knot, so it was not a lot of trouble (it was rather easy on a lathe), nor a large expense.

I want to try making my new handles from scratch, so this was a learning experience :biggrin1:

No ofense taken. Besides my labor, total cost was $20 for the new Silver Tip knot, so it was not a lot of trouble (it was rather easy on a lathe), nor a large expense.

I want to try making my new handles from scratch, so this was a learning experience :biggrin1:

Okay, I can accept "practice run" as a viable reason. :001_smile

Kudos on your equipment. I've done about 30 restores with a hand drill and a table top vise. It gets adventurous at times.

Someday, when I've finished some of my other restore projects, this is the same plan I have for my amazing(crappy) VDH brush. I hate the knot that it comes with but the handle is okay. And a $20 silvertip is a great deal IMO.

Nice work sir! :thumbup:

Okay, I can accept "practice run" as a viable reason. :001_smile

Kudos on your equipment. I've done about 30 restores with a hand drill and a table top vise. It gets adventurous at times.

Also I think those VDH handles may not be great in a lot of aspects, but it is rubber. I know the hefty brushes feel nice in the hand, but they scare the ---- out of me in regards to dropping them!

Also I think those VDH handles may not be great in a lot of aspects, but it is rubber. I know the hefty brushes feel nice in the hand, but they scare the ---- out of me in regards to dropping them!
Really, rubber? I didn't know that!

I find the whole idea a bit ironic. Cheap brush with a great knot. I like it!

The VDH handle when polished down can actually look good and has a solid weight to it. You have to wet sand it to get those mold lines out.

I think it looks great! Using that kind of machinery is kinda cheating though for just replacing a knot. :wink2:
I get that a lot, so I know what you mean. As a hobby, I do a lot of LED/flashlight work, custom parts, 3D design, etc., and yes, having the machine shop means I have a lot of versatility, not only for very complex jobs, but also very simple jobs like this knot upgrade.

But the best thing from this mod, besides the learning part, is that I have been using this brush non-stop every single day, and it is awesome. It can hold a large amount of face lather, it is soft on the outer side and firmer in the middle, and it just plainly feels great on my face :thumbup:

The rubber handle sounds like a good idea - I wonder if/when the clinking of my resin handled brush will break my pottery bowl!

Top Bottom