What's new

Newbie Questions -- Silvertip & Synthetics

I got into DE shaving for about 6 months now, looking now to finally upgrade (?) my best badger brush. Searching this forum and the web in general hasn't provided any consensus on these questions I have ... in your experience:

1. Is silvertip badger still the best for lather? If so, which brands in the more inexpensive realm (ca. $120 or less) do you recommend?
2. Is all silvertip equal in quality? huge price disparity here and I can't see it in the handles
3. are the best synthetics now equivalent to silvertip?
4. Is there a major lather improvement generally provided by silvertip relative to best badger? And what about lather improvement between best badger and the best synthetics currently on the market?

What do you like/dislike in your current brush. Based on that we can recommend somehow what could be interesting to you.

Cloudlike softness from a Silvertip is a love/hate thing same as the firm scrubbiness/backbone from a 2Band/Manchurian. Different strokes for different folks and so forth.

Adding a simple Synth and Boar will widen your experience and lighten your wallet only by 20-30 bucks.

Needing better lather if possible ...
What do you like/dislike in your current brush. Based on that we can recommend somehow what could be interesting to you.

Cloudlike softness from a Silvertip is a love/hate thing same as the firm scrubbiness/backbone from a 2Band/Manchurian. Different strokes for different folks and so forth.

Adding a simple Synth and Boar will widen your experience and lighten your wallet only by 20-30 bucks.
Needing better lathering -- if I can get that with a killer synthetic or a silvertip ...

In my experience synthetics have become very, very good. I still prefer the feel of a high quality badger to any other type of brush, but I regularly use badger, synthetic, boar, and horse. They all have features to recommend them. Boar and synthetic can be had at the lowest price point, the really good badgers I've seen run at least $120 (most of my better ones are in the upper $100's lower $200's). If you're not squeamish about a used brush, check out the BST section. There are some really high end brushes available there at a considerable discount.

As others note, brush choice is very much up to the individual.

Synthetic, boar, horse and badger are all worth a try IMHO!! Nice to have plenty of options.

You can do well with badger, boar or synthetic.

I personally prefer Two-band badgers over Silvertips. Two-bands are firmer than the Silvertips without being harsh. They work well with hard soaps or soft soaps. My favorite is the Semogue Owner's Club Two-band. It's a 24mm knot in a cherry wood handle. Cost was really reasonable on sale.

Boars can be soft once broken in. That might take 30-40 shaves, so you have to be patient. The combination of firm backbone with soft tips is excellent. I'd suggest something like an Omega 11137 in medium size, Omega Proraso Pro or Zenith B03-A26 in a larger size. Cost is very inexpensive.

Synths I don't have a lot of experience with, but I like the 24mm SynBad knot and the PAA Starcraft brush with Roswell Grey knot that I have. The more expensive knots like Muhle STF are considered some of the best.

Last edited:

Needing better lathering -- if I can get that with a killer synthetic or a silvertip ...
24mm Synth which costs 20-30 max. A couple of test lathers to manage the water release of the Synth which is different to a badger.

I like my Yaqi Bali Beehive Synth but there is a ton of choices around.

2D52CBD6-3664-4DCC-895E-A15FC353886F.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

It is possible to make good lather with any brush unless it is total garbage and simply buying a more expensive brush will not magically make your lather better. Instead, I suggest trying a different soap, varying the amount of hydration, or switching between bowl and face lathering. Silvertip is not and never has been 'the best for lather', it is simply a grade of hair which some people like and some do not; I do not care for it and prefer two band finest or manchurian and thin, watery lather.

I haven't used anything but Silvertip for the last 30+ years, so I can't compare. I do remember using an inexpensive (likely boar or low grade badger) when I first started using soap/brush when I was on submarines, but that was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure it was Williams shave soap with that brush and it did a fine job of creating lather. As stated, producing lather is much more than what brush you're using and more about the water to soap ratio and working the lather to the consistency you prefer for shaving. If you lather on your face, the brush you choose will have more importance depending on the level of softness one prefers.

I have all sorts of brushes but I prefer my $15 synthetic brush to anything. I hate a floppy brush and most badgers fall into that category for me. I also use an Omega boar brush since it has great backbone. Save your money and don't buy an expensive badger. Synthetics have come a long way in the last 5 years and usually can outperform most badgers.

I consider myself as addicted to Silvertip although I have come enjoy any rush of reasonable quality.

That said, I have given away many brushes, mostly ones I have made. I usually give away a brush with a finest knot as it will take more abuse that a Silvertip and the face feel approaches that of a Silvertip.

A few times I have given away a finest along with a synthetic, and in all cases the person receiving them both tell me that they can build lather more easily with the synthetic.

1. Is silvertip badger still the best for lather? Generally speaking, best lather comes from best soap/cream. Quality of the brush as a whole will impact the quality of the lather. A floppy, scarce, knot will not perform as well as one with a good backbone and density.

2. Is all silvertip equal in quality? No.

3. are the best synthetics now equivalent to silvertip? No. No synthetic brush of current production is equivalent to a silvertip or finest badger brush. Period.

4. Is there a major lather improvement generally provided by silvertip relative to best badger? See 1. And what about lather improvement between best badger and the best synthetics currently on the market? See 3. and 1.

My personal opinion. Enjoy and good luck shopping.

I reach most often for my AP Shave Co. 24mm SynBad synthetic. While I enjoy both my two band badger and my boar, my SynBad makes lather more quickly and easily, while using less soap and still having very nice face feel (if not quite as nice as the other two). And no soaking necessary before use.

Of all my brushes, among them a handful of premium 3 band silvertips (and another handful of premium 2bands, silvertip and best), I reach most often for one of my smaller natural bristle boars (Omega, retails at around € 8 ). Lather quality is every bit as good with a boar as with the badgers, but for me the boars seem to work a bit faster.

The best deal among my silvertips, is the Semogue 730 HD. Excellent brush, every bit as good as my THÄTER and Shavemac which cost twice as much. Its not "better" than my 8 € boar, just a different feel. Semogue makes some really nice SOC 2 bands too that a reasonably priced (for a 2 band).

I never cared for synthetics, but that's just a personal preference.

PS, NOTE: a unique feature of boars is that they keep getting softer (in face feel), the more you use them, because hair tips keep splitting. This is one aestetic feature I really like about boars

Last edited:
Perhaps you could also detail what soaps you have tried, and what kind of lather improvement you are hoping for, as that too is very much a matter of personal preference.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I got into DE shaving for about 6 months now, looking now to finally upgrade (?) my best badger brush. Searching this forum and the web in general hasn't provided any consensus on these questions I have ... in your experience:

1. Is silvertip badger still the best for lather? If so, which brands in the more inexpensive realm (ca. $120 or less) do you recommend?
2. Is all silvertip equal in quality? huge price disparity here and I can't see it in the handles
3. are the best synthetics now equivalent to silvertip?
4. Is there a major lather improvement generally provided by silvertip relative to best badger? And what about lather improvement between best badger and the best synthetics currently on the market?

In my experience the best lathering knots are Misturas.

3-12-22.Misturas(4).640.JPG

Misturas are also called mixed knots. They contain a mixture of both boar and badger. They load and lather extremely well and can be very soft once well broken in. Semogue makes very good 24 mm Mistura brushes. An example is the butterscotch SOC Mistura which is second from the right.

(The E-R above might not be a mixed knot, but the other three are for sure.)

10-2-23.Blackbird.Ethos.Zenith3Band.640.JPG

10-28-23.Osprey.Mike's.MS.640.JPG

Not all silvertip is equal in quality, but quality silvertip brushes which don't break every bank are available. Zenith 3 band silvertip badgers come to mind. I've had very good experiences with them and with Maseto/MS silvertips which are even more inexpensive.

10-6-23.ATT-CH1.GD.RacingGreen.640.JPG

If this racing green limited edition is still available on Vintage Scent I can highly recommend it.

My original Omega Evo synthetic reminds me of a decent enough silvertip three band. Of course the Evo is a slightly different animal. Still, it's close enough in feel and performance that I might think it was a three band silvertip if I didn't know otherwise.

Synthetics aren't my thing. I know very little about other synthetics.

Best Badger is variable. I have two Simpson Chubbies in Best Badger; they are quite dissimilar. Most folks, but certainly not everyone, would tell you a decent two band or three band silvertip would generally be a better brush than a decent Best Badger.

There are excellent options within your price range.

However, the whole thing is highly subjective. Whatever it is, if you like it and it works for you that's great, and all that matters.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom