What's new

First attempt with the straight!

On Saturday I recieved my 'Sight Unseen' from Whippeddog - a cracking Cattaraugus Green Lizard. I was tempted to try it out that day, but with a gig coming up in the evening common-sense prevailed, and I decided to wait till I could spend some time with it.

Sunday was out of the question due to a quality hangover...

So...today was the day!

Took a hot shower then went for the hot flannel on the face. I cleaned the oil off the blade then proceeded to whip up a fine face lather with the Erasmic Supreme (I usually use Arko, but wanted a bit of extra glide today). Looking slightly Santa'ish I opened my razor, made sure I had a good grip and tentatively started showing some face to the Lizard. This is when I made a discovery...that is: Never mind how many videos you've watched or how many tutorials you've read through, as the blade gets closer to your face and your hand starts shaking the memory just goes!
Contact was made and I started the down stroke. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was less than smooth. I tried more product then more water, different angles and pressure but little difference was made. It dawned on me then that trying to take off 2 days growth on my first outing probably wasn't the wisest idea! The razor pulled tugged and stuck even though I was keeping pressure to a minimum. Eventually I managed the right cheek, 1 inch of right neck and about 1.5 inches of left cheek (stop laughing!) before the nerve went....lol

Oddly enough, I haven't had a comfortable shave with my DE's lately (regardless of soap and blades) and I DID have that down pat, so I don't know if they've been adding stuff to the water lately. I know the Lizard a great razor and Larry's a top guy so I also know the edge is ok.

I'm really cack-handed with my left hand so will be using the dominant hand for both sides - if anyone has any links to sites showing covering angles/techniques for 'one-handers' that'd be great.

I'll try it again tomorrow with just one days growth and post an update.

I would try a WTG pass with a DE followed by a WTG pass with the straight. You really just want to get the hold/angle down without actually having to shave anything.

Almost all new shavers suffer from "dull razor" syndrome, you started off with a shave ready razor so your troubles are likely technique related. Keep up the good work, it will come to you.

Well, today was a great improvement! After reading a post by a fellow newbie I feel happier in the knowledge that it's SUPPOSED to sound like scraping toast...lol Managed the right side of the face, under my nose and a good bit of my neck. The left side is still a mystery though...I tried my left hand and confirmed that it IS useless - useless to the point that I can't even use a fork in it, so a straight is a bit optimistic to say the least.

All in all, very pleased so far and I can see some progress!

Well, today was a great improvement! After reading a post by a fellow newbie I feel happier in the knowledge that it's SUPPOSED to sound like scraping toast...lol Managed the right side of the face, under my nose and a good bit of my neck. The left side is still a mystery though...I tried my left hand and confirmed that it IS useless - useless to the point that I can't even use a fork in it, so a straight is a bit optimistic to say the least.

All in all, very pleased so far and I can see some progress!
LOL

Some folks use the dominant hand for both sides of the face. Paco made a video of it. I can't search for it now at work-youtube is blocked.

My left hand is much the same as yours. I cannot even steer the car with it unless I want to meet new people...
As bad as it is, I did ok with a straight twice, zero nicks or cuts, but decided it is just not worth the time and trouble to get confident with it. For adventure I just switch up between my Fatip, Eveready 1912, and my DE87.:biggrin1:

I had my first straight shave this past Sunday and at the moment, I too am a one handed shaver! I don't see myself using my left hand for quite a while. Unfortunately, while using one hand, my arm tends to block the view in some spots that made for some scary moments. I drew no blood so, I'm still stoked! Good luck and have fun bro!

I can honestly say 'I know what you mean'...lol I've had a few of those scary moments too! You tend to forget them quickly though when you rub your hand across a bit of your face that you got right... a sorta 'Oh Yessss!' moment. Good luck to you too and keep me updated on how it progresses!!

I had my first straight shave this past Sunday and at the moment, I too am a one handed shaver! I don't see myself using my left hand for quite a while. Unfortunately, while using one hand, my arm tends to block the view in some spots that made for some scary moments. I drew no blood so, I'm still stoked! Good luck and have fun bro!

Day 3:

Seeing more improvements! Most of right side done (some parts DFS!), under the nose went well. Getting more comfortable on the neck (even ATG) and the left side is improving. Now I'm getting slightly more confident I'm spending a bit more time on the left side and changing my grip to suit. The chin still needs a lot of work but there's no rush. Getting more comfortable stropping too (one tiny nick on the first day but still intact now)!

I'm going to have to get up earlier if I want to put in more time on my straight shaves. I barely give myself enough time to take a DE shave and get to work!

It sounds like you're learning fast. The first few shaves, in my experience, are all about familiarizing yourself with the razor and getting over the fear of putting an exposed blade to your face. You'll find soon enough that your strokes become quick and confident and the quality of your shaves will improve dramatically as a result.

I think I've just been lucky so far...lol

Just about got around all areas of the face today - quite a few rough spots but it ALMOST looked like I'd had a shave! I'm finding that the chin is the biggest challenge (even though I did manage to follow the curve a bit today). Under the lip is a bit of a problem area too. My angles are improving so I'll just keep on going and try to up my confidence.

I've got a fine selection of Vintage Gillette DE's to finish the job so there's no rush... :biggrin1:

It sounds like you're learning fast. The first few shaves, in my experience, are all about familiarizing yourself with the razor and getting over the fear of putting an exposed blade to your face. You'll find soon enough that your strokes become quick and confident and the quality of your shaves will improve dramatically as a result.

Shave #7 today. Best result so far! Things started falling into place and I actually completed a shave good enough to leave the house with (that said, I did do an extra pass with the DE - just because I could feel some stubble). I'm still keeping 100% respect for the razor, but a lot of the fear has subsided now I'm getting more comfortable with it. The muscle-memory has improved greatly and I'm slowly finding a few more angles.

Top Bottom