What's new

I think I ruined my Muhle Silvertip Fibre knot (maybe a warning)

So, I loved my Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush, but I hated the handle. Being the resourceful guy that I am, I thought to myself, "Hey self, why don't you just get a knot from Muhle and put it into a handle that you love?" And off I went. Except that it took an age just to get an order on the books with Muhle. So, being the impatient guy that I am, I thought to myself, "Hey self, you've steamed knots out of other brushes, why don't you just steam this one out too and put it in that beautiful empty handle?" And off I went.

After I got it in and set the loft within .5mm of where the original was, I noticed that the crown of the brush seemed narrower, and the brush didn't feel as full when I grabbed all of the bristles. Then I used it. The handle felt great, as I knew it would. But the knot felt different. The magic was gone. It didn't splay right, it didn't whip rich luxurious lather like it used to, and it just didn't feel right.

I'm wondering if steaming the knot out of the original handle had a detrimental effect on the bristles. The hole in the brush is within .25mm of the original (a little bigger) so I know it isn't restricting the bristles. When I fan out the bristles, I see that many of them still have some "wave" to them, but it doesn't look like the close-up pictures you may have seen. I'm thinking of ripping this one out and ordering the new one, but if there is any way the handle is the cause, I don't want to ruin another knot in the process. Any corroboration with my suspicions, or contrary but helpful alternative explanations would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. If anyone knows how to get two-part shafting epoxy (for golf clubs) to loosen up without a blow torch, that would be helpful too.

So, I loved my Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush, but I hated the handle. Being the resourceful guy that I am, I thought to myself, "Hey self, why don't you just get a knot from Muhle and put it into a handle that you love?" And off I went. Except that it took an age just to get an order on the books with Muhle. So, being the impatient guy that I am, I thought to myself, "Hey self, you've steamed knots out of other brushes, why don't you just steam this one out too and put it in that beautiful empty handle?" And off I went.

After I got it in and set the loft within .5mm of where the original was, I noticed that the crown of the brush seemed narrower, and the brush didn't feel as full when I grabbed all of the bristles. Then I used it. The handle felt great, as I knew it would. But the knot felt different. The magic was gone. It didn't splay right, it didn't whip rich luxurious lather like it used to, and it just didn't feel right.

I'm wondering if steaming the knot out of the original handle had a detrimental effect on the bristles. The hole in the brush is within .25mm of the original (a little bigger) so I know it isn't restricting the bristles. When I fan out the bristles, I see that many of them still have some "wave" to them, but it doesn't look like the close-up pictures you may have seen. I'm thinking of ripping this one out and ordering the new one, but if there is any way the handle is the cause, I don't want to ruin another knot in the process. Any corroboration with my suspicions, or contrary but helpful alternative explanations would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. If anyone knows how to get two-part shafting epoxy (for golf clubs) to loosen up without a blow torch, that would be helpful too.

I am sorry you had to realize this the hard way. I have steamed many brushes and have seen the effects when the knot is pulled out.

Steam and heat in general for too long a period causes expansion in the plug. When you put the expanded knot in the new handle, guess what, a completely different result occurs for several reasons, the knot plug is now a slightly different shape, the fibers themselves have been steam flattened exactly like your clothes at the cleaners when they are pressed or natural hair when it is steam treated. The knot will be more than likely at a different loft setting, and so on.

When I steam remove a knot from a handle, it (the knot) generally goes in the trash for the replacement knot whether it is natural or synthetic.

Since I don't play golf someone else will need to assist you in that endeavor.

Last edited:
Yes, you use a blow torch (or bottled butane torch) to breakdown epoxy in golf clubs. But you're dealing with metal shafts and a metal golf head that can withstand the extreme heat. I don't think that's an option for shaving brushes. All epoxy will break down with heat--I've seen golf clubs come apart just by leaving them in the trunk of a car. That's why folks here use steam--lots of heat, but safer for handle and knots.

Well the steaming method probably changed the properties of the fibers. Aren't the essentially plastic of sorts in very thin strands?

Well the steaming method probably changed the properties of the fibers. Aren't the essentially plastic of sorts in very thin strands?

Yes they are and they will quickly change (warp, twist, or flatten) under the heat required to loosen strong epoxy.

Am I gathering that you can remove an epoxied knot with steam? I have a brush with a bum knot in it that I would love to remove...

(sorry for the thread hijack)

I nearly ruined a vintage Every Ready handle trying to steam out a knot. A large bulge developed on the bottom of the handle and weird looking spot's showed up near the top. I was able to buff out the spots but the handle still does not sit flat.

The steam might have damaged the STF Knot. On the German Forums one member ruined his STF brush by using too hot water. It left the bristles soft and floppy, partially bent and gave the brush a hole in the middle.

See here: http://forum.nassrasur.com/showtopic.php?threadid=19579&pagenum=5#threadpost000103

After continued research, I've decided that is exactly what must have happened. If I spoke German, I would offer that guy my shared condolences.
Good news though, my new STF knot should be here shortly (depending on cooperation from both the German and US postal systems), and i won't have to steam it out of anything!

For anyone interested, my new knot showed up this weekend. I used it this morning, and the magic is back, nd better than ever! ;)

Top Bottom