What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

That Charbert "Of Thee I Sing" looks interesting. Any copyright dates or other markings?

It was easy to find out that Charbert was founded in 1933, and the kettledrum shape was typical. "De toi je chante" (Of Thee I Sing) was one of their first perfumes and seems to have remained in production from 1933 until at least 1958. I gather the imprint is William Gaxton who was in the original 1933 production of "Of Thee I Sing" and was a partner of some sort in Charbert. He seems to have slipped a plug for Charbert into the lyrics of "You're the Top" by Cole Porter. The firm seems to have dissolved around the same time as his death in 1963.

It was harder to find specific references to a shave soap or shave bowl, but apparently it was available as late as 1955.

Previous discussion: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/175848-so-didja-ever-see-one-of-THESE-before

Last edited:
^looks awesome!

how old is it?

the "didja ever see one of THESE before?" thread is from November 2010 - back in my rabid collecting days.

We tracked down a reference to the Charbert "Of Thee I Sing" kettle drum soap in an October 1939 New Yorker - here's the text:

proxy.php

This is one of the ones I'll never use.
(Watch for it for fifty cents at a lawn sale after I die - I'm sure my heirs will seek to cash in on my extensive collection of "shaving crap" [their words?] when I'm gone.)

...and just for the heck of it - here's another one from that very expensive Fall 2010 - never to be used.
(actually, the soap looks pretty desiccated and has no scent other than tallow.... Probably not much of a performer.)

I have no details on this one.

proxy.php

(Hey Mods - I'm assuming it's ok for me to recycle these old ones, seeing this thread have been stickified & all. Please let me know if not.)

ok, with all the feedback here, i succumbed and used the vintage Colgate stick for a shave this afternoon.
great, tallowy, buttery soap.
i face-rubbed it on and lathered with Shavemac brush.
Brush held enough lather for all three passes.
Sort of a mild, soapy-barbershop scent, similar to Williams.
The lather was excellent and held up well.
Rinsed very easily and totally pleased.
Really different than the (disappointing) Colgate shave puck that I had tried earlier.

$Art of Shaving Thiers Issard Shavemac Colgate Yardley Knize Ten November 10 2014.jpg

Gorgeous pic!

How does the Yardley/Knize Ten stack for you? I'm not sure I'd ever think of combining those two, but they're both in the locker.

Beautiful soaps and products! I have used many vintage soaps, some well over 40 years old, and they all seem to perform well, with the exception of the loss of fragrance. On some of the crusty ones, I have lightly scraped off the crusty portion and soaked the puck in water for 2 to 24 hours to hydrate it.
Some of the old vintage soaps are so beautiful, it's almost a shame to use them, as they would look beautiful as a display piece. I only use the ones, that are below par in appearance, and keep the nice looking vintage ones in my collection of shave products.

I have used many vintage soaps, some well over 40 years old, and they all seem to perform well, with the exception of the loss of fragrance. On some of the crusty ones, I have lightly scraped off the crusty portion and soaked the puck in water for 2 to 24 hours to hydrate it.

It's been said before, and it's not my idea, you can tell because it's a good one. Soak your old vintage scentless soaps for an hour or so in your favorite aftershave. Works like a charm!

Ok gents, I need some help identifying this recent purchase from Ebay.

View attachment 390404

Doing some googling around, I see that Renleigh sold a bowl that you could use as an ashtray when you were done with the soap. Examples I've seen look just like this bowl, though mine is much darker. I'm convinced the bowl is from Renleigh. What I'm not sure of, though, is the mfr of the soap. The best example I saw of the soap that came with the bowl showed it to be stamped with the Renleigh name:

As you can see in the first two pictures, the pucks I received are flat on top and have no identifying marks. The pucks I have also don't fit snugly in the bowl, leading me to believe they are not meant for the bowl.

I do believe that they are vintage because they have that dry, gritty feel to them, just like vintage Williams. They also have the same musty smell to them. I did do a test lather with one and came up with something that show promise once it's starts getting used. I didn't work to hard at it and it did come out a bit airy, but it had a nice creamy feel to it. The pucks were all with a gram of 80gm.

It would seem that this originally came in a wooden bowl. Went quite cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-039-s-...-amp-4-Shave-Soap-Pucks-Vintage-/371191246440

Edit: I have found a few bowls on ebay with the name "Wrisleys" on them that appear to be a perfect fit for the soap pucks. Perhaps these were very early versions?

Last edited:
Much appreciated..I'd really like to re-scent it. I'd rather not grate it.

Would I need to remove it from the bowl, or just drizzle some cologne on it?

So this stuff came in. Seller said it was 40s-50s.

IT STILL SMELLS. Very very strongly. After unpacking it my bedroom smelled strongly of it so I put it in a ziploc bag. I can still smell it. :lol: The scent is hard to describe. I would say that it smells like cologne or aftershave from the period. You know how your grandpa always had that smell? This is it.

Going to try lathering up a puck later on.

I have a 4 pucks of what I think is the same thing except the smell I get is a slight mustiness. No cologne sent at all. My lot also had the metal ashtray bowl, not the wooden bowl. I think it's the same soap, but perhaps not. I have not shaved with it yet but I have lathered it a few times. I didn't have much luck with it until I used the L'Occitane Plisson, which seems to easily lather any soap!

I have a 4 pucks of what I think is the same thing except the smell I get is a slight mustiness. No cologne sent at all. My lot also had the metal ashtray bowl, not the wooden bowl. I think it's the same soap, but perhaps not. I have not shaved with it yet but I have lathered it a few times. I didn't have much luck with it until I used the L'Occitane Plisson, which seems to easily lather any soap! I'm eager to see how it lathers for you. I may have to use mine this week.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Springreiter stick from Germany? It dates back to the 40's or 50's and it smells decent, lathers well, and gives a nice post-shave feeling. A fellow I know in Austria sent me one as a gift.

today's shave, with vintage Burma-Shave scented puck. Circa 1970-1980?
With tallow in the ingredient list. Very much like vintage Williams. Great slickness and nice cushion.
proxy.php

Top Bottom