What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

Found a bowl of Vintage soap & matching AS, was delighted to find it still has wonderful scent to it!!

Last edited:
vintage colgate & co. stick, from eBay.
circa 1920's, before merger with palmolive.
stick itself seems unused.
has colgate embossed on the foil.
about 0.8 oz. net wt.

should i keep it unused or use it??

$colgate stick.jpg

about 0.8 oz. net wt.

View attachment 509622

Well, as my daughter would say YOLO (you only live once). Unless you have an heir that appreciates wet shaving get that baby lathered!

I love the smell of AOS Sandalwood in the Fall. It makes me want to skip work and take the Land Cruiser up in the mountains.

I can't think of any vintage soap I wouldn't use. Using it is so much more enjoyable than looking at it, I think.

about 0.8 oz. net wt.

i found this vintage OS soap with the mug ($5!!). I saw the same mug (no soap) at a different antique mall and it was $26. No way am i paying that much, good things come to those who wait. Looking at that OS mug page, i think i have all the different models now.

Would a soak in boiling water get rid of any bacteria in the soap so i can use it?

I wouldnt do that MrLara. I would just give it a little rinse in water and pop it back in the mug.

I always use this analogy, when your hands are dirty, what do you use to wash them? Soap. Do you boil a bar of soap if someone used it before you? Its a rhetorical question, but thats my analogy.

Any bacteria on that soap are long dead. What I do with an old puck like that is use it to wash up my hands a few times. It helps to hydrate the puck and get the crust off. Even then, it may take many uses for it to get back into prime form.

AoS tallow (Valobra base) Sandalwood arrived today!
View attachment 509650

I bought the same thing, presumably from the same person and for the same great price! I love the AOS tallow formulation (as well as the Valobra hard soaps). You can definitely tell the difference between the old tallow formulation and the new formulation just from the scent. You can smell the base in all the Valobra hard soaps; smells kind of like clay. The NOS AOS Sandalwood is no exception, but once lathered up you get that really good AOS Sandalwood in full bloom. The newer AOS Sandalwood soaps, I think, have a little bit of a stronger scent, and they don't have that "clay" type scent right off the puck like the Valobra manufactured pucks. Nonetheless, I would take one tallow AOS Sandalwood puck over five of the new pucks any day. One of the best performing soaps out there, and its a shame that P&G had to ruin a great thing. But, at least we can still get the Valobra hard pucks (I really like the Patchouly) as well as Czech & Speake :thumbup1:.

Excellent find!

I have used shaving soaps over 40 years old and have found them to work fine, with the exception that they seem to lose much, if not all of their original scent. The soaps don't necessarily degrade but simply dry out. Soaking them in distilled or purified water overnight will work wonders. It may be necessary if the outside is extremely crusty, to remove a thin layer so the moisture can penetrate the soap.

They occasionally find soldier's soaps from WWI that lather and perform perfectly. There was an article a number of years ago about a shipwreck from the 1700's that was salvaged, that contained tons of fine French Milled soap that was somehow restored and sold for top dollar.

When my dad passed away many years ago, he had lots of vintage soap. I used much of it and gave away a lot of it. He had so much soap, he probably had a bar or two of the French Milled soap from that salvaged ship. LOL.

Last edited:
Enjoyed some vintage mentholated Williams this afternoon!
Great Williams lather. Menthol was light but noticeable.
Naturally, finished with AV ice blue!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 216
Top Bottom