What's new

Microscope edge pics

Found this and found it interesting. It's Tim Zowada's website where he shows different edges from different whetstones synthetic and natural as a comparison chart. The cool part is he took the time to have the pics taken from the same angle with the same light source on a mounted microscope

Here is the link http://www.tzknives.com/razoredges.html

Understand this isn't conclusive evidence of what works better, just thought I would share my interest. :)

some of my best edges came off my c12k....

it is a truly underrated stone...

I'm happy with mine. And heck, for $30? Sure, it's a little narrow and needs a solid X-stroke, but it's sweet and stays flat forever. Very slow and forgiving stone.

Even though my progression includes a Naniwa 12k, I still do 200 laps on the Cnat before moving to CrOX/linen on my 127.
Next session I think I'll skip the CrOX and go from the Cnat to the Kanayama linen>suede>leather

I really wish Zowada had those pics at 400x. There's so much more edge detail there. Even 800x would still show improvement. At 200x, to my eyes it's almost binary Crap/Notcrap.

Those 800x pics are awesome to see.

Okay, so that explains the roughness of the edges.

I was thinking I was looking at extreme magnification of what we consider to be a "good" hone job.

Yah, those are actually incredibly nice for such low grits. Must be good hones and real easy pressure. Also I think that's likely a knife.

It's the only collage of edges from different whetstones I could find. I liked it just because it shows edges off some of the most commonly used whetstones (something I have wanted to do myself). Even if there is no scientific data to show, it still peaked my interest.

Seraphims Microscope work is very interesting as well, I want to get a usb scope myself eventually.

Those photos were just a quick study to see how the hones cut. Nothing more. Don't try to read too much in to them.

I now use 1200x to see what is really happening. Unfortunately, I can't take good pictures at 1200x. Last month, I got access to a SEM. I will post photos as they become available.

Top Bottom