What's new

Your take on Voskhod Russian Blades???

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Sadly, it seems that my 'go-to' Shark SC's are having some quaility control issues (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/303141-Shark-Super-Chrome-blades-have-changed), lately and I thought I might try a new blade...totalily different than the ones I've tried in the past (and we could go
'way back').

That said, I did try Astras (Russian), Superior Platinum's (which I thought was 'passable'), and I did read many comments (the good, the bad & the ugly through my many searches), on Voskhod (Russian), blades, (too bad there's no formal Reveiw of this blade as of yet to help me), I was wondering what your overall 'take' (you can use numbers [1-10 w/ 10 as the best] and/or comments), is on these blades compared to Shark SC blades.
proxy.php

Pros:
Cons:
Quality:
Sharpness:
Smoothness of Shaves:

attachment.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Last edited:
One of my favorite blades, sharp , but smooth enough that its the blade I give my friends to use for thier 1st De blades , before my 4 shaves and out policy I noticed this blade stayed useable for longer that other blades

Voskhods are tops. If you are dyslexic, they are spot.

Pros: Sharp, smootH and durable, i.e., can easily get 4 good shaves.
Cons: Not sold by a large number of vendors.
Quality: 10
Sharpness: 10
Smoothness of Shaves: 10

I would not hesitate. IMHO, Voskhods are far superior to Sharks SC and Sharks SS.

Also consider Perma-Sharps, Ladas and Rapira Super Stainless. All are top-tier Russian blades that are, IMHO, superior to Astra SP (which is an excellent blade.)

Check out the reviews here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...hose-who-care?highlight=BATTLE+of+the+Ruskies.

Last edited:
I will offer a different opinion. When the big group buys were happening which caused some big issues for some vendors (another story altogether) I bought 100 based on all the comments raving about them. In short, I sold the remaining 98 soon thereafter. I didn't find them particularly sharp or smooth...they tugged like hell in three different razors. The price was certainly right and the user who bought them liked them, but I had no luck with them.

I have used them with great success in my Fatip and Gillette Big Fellow Old. My son uses them in his iKon OSS and likes them quite a bit as well. Not as sharp as a Feather perhaps, but at least for me, provides an overall "smoother" experience with considerably less chance of drawing blood (than say a new Feather in my R41).

Still on the fence.

I picked up 100 of these awhile ago and have used then a few times. They seem very smooth but not very sharp. First shave was ok, second fair, third was horrible.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
great blades...but give ladas (from same factory) a try,they are also superb blades.
Malocchio:
Since many of our members have good things to say about Russian blades...do you know any mail order shops where I can 'score' on a Sampler of all three blades (Voskhod, Ladas and Rapira)?
proxy.php

proxy.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

I enjoy Voskhods but like any blade it varies greatly depending on razor. They're magnificent in my Fatips, 37c and #58...sharp and smooth. But in my R41 they feel like I am shaving with a tin can lid.

I agree comment on ladas (also rapira plat lux are similar for me).
I ordered a sample from here

right ! great link Tony...I imagine Finland must be tough on traditional wet shavers...are there any home grown soaps or creams there ? Do you get most supplies online ?

right ! great link Tony...I imagine Finland must be tough on traditional wet shavers...are there any home grown soaps or creams there ? Do you get most supplies online ?

Yes. I have said earlier that I am a bit jealous to you guys. We don't have here almost nothing, no soaps, no creams and if saying somebody that one of my interest is traditional wet shaving they look at me like a mad. :blink: On the negative side is the shipping costs. Thank god for the ebay, connaught and shaving ie.
Some straights and couple of de's I have found in flea markets and antiques stores but usually I expect to find nothing. Well... I'm a happy that I have been a patient and done a hard work to get extra spending for all kind of shaving gears. And the journey continues, more is coming all the time.

One of the Russian blades that isn't getting mentioned here is the Gillette 7o'clocks in the yellow package. I find them just about on par with the red Personna blades and pretty superior to the Astras.

Hey Tony J...so you need supplies? Here in the United States we are pretty spoiled with the ability to get most everything cheap and easy! Maybe a couple of us can send some stuff to you that if cheap enough should clear customs without much taxation. I have some soaps I am not using much if you are interested.

One of the Russian blades that isn't getting mentioned here is the Gillette 7o'clocks in the yellow package. I find them just about on par with the red Personna blades and pretty superior to the Astras.

Hey Tony J...so you need supplies? Here in the United States we are pretty spoiled with the ability to get most everything cheap and easy! Maybe a couple of us can send some stuff to you that if cheap enough should clear customs without much taxation. I have some soaps I am not using much if you are interested.

Great offer, thank you. At the moment I have so much under the test that I don't need more. Maybe later...
I have learn to play with customs during these years and always trying to keep the costs around $100 when ordering something from outside EU. I want to help customs :001_cool:. I have noticed during these years that when the costs don't raise too far away from a minimum taxation amount, they let the package slip straight to the customer. Also talked with the officers and they said that ordering from outside is increasing every year heavily.

Top Bottom