What's new

Your take on Voskhod Russian Blades???

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Becuase of the recent quaility control issues of Shark SC blades;

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/303141-Shark-Super-Chrome-blades-have-changed?highlight=

and the good things discussed here about Russian blades, I've decided to purchase a Sampler of various Russian blades from an Ebay seller from Moscow (thanx Tony for the link), as displayed below and log my results in my Razor Blade Spread Sheet. :thumbsup:
I hope I don't have to pay for customs on these blades when they arrive.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Attachments

• $is.jpg
    $is.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
I have learn to play with customs during these years and always trying to keep the costs around $100 when ordering something from outside EU. I want to help customs :001_cool:
Be happy for that. Here we have lower limits (think it's about $70). Then we have to pay 25% VAT on both the product and shipping. And the customs here are getting really neurotic.

Voshkods are GREAT! A little better than Astra SP's, even though Astras are top shelf. A tie for 2nd with the Astras are Rapira Platinum Lux. Russia makes really good blades!

The Rapiras are NICE!!! I really love the Platinum Lux blades, they are top quality blades that compete with the tops out there... and LADAS is very nice as well.. I have 150 Voskhods and they are smooth, but aren't the quality of the other rapiras IMO. I would put most effort into getting the platinum lux or ladas blade. As previously mentioned, the Voskhod blade is a 3 and out for me and the 3rd shave isn't so awesome, and that's with me using 1 edge for the first shave, the 2nd edge for the 2nd shave, and both edges for the 3rd shave.

You EU guys are lucky! In Norway the limit is 30$! Thankfully a lot of vendors ship items as gift or put down the value on the package if you ask.

For me the Voskhod are a great blade. They work great in a slant I found.

Pros: Sharp and smooth
Cons: Hard to find, because of that - expensive.
Quality: 8
Sharpness: 8.5
Smoothness of Shaves: 8.5

Voskhods are my favorite blade. Better even than the Iridium Super (though I get more shaves from the IS). Better than the Rapiras or the Ladas too. I can easily get 5 shaves out of a blade. I can barely feel the blade when I shave, there is no burn or weepers afterwards, and I get the closest of shaves from them. This is why I have 545 of them.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
How you are doing with the testing? Did you already pick up your favorites from the sample?
Tony:
Yep...I received my Sampler and am starting with the Sputniks. So far, I find them moderately sharp with no tugging and pulling...but the jury is still out.
proxy.php

attachment.php

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Au contraire... This page is a must-see. GD Carrington's review of MANY current and vintage blades, including Voshkod. The testing is very recent (last couple of years...) https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de-blade-challenge-ii

Voshkod scores just below cutoff separating top tier from the rest.
Cheers!
RaiserLiebe:
Sweeeeeeeeet...thanx for the review and for sharing! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

I rated Sputnik teflon above the Voskhod as well. This guy tested a lot of blades, and while it appears he only tested a total of 1 blades per brand, I agree with a lot of his statements. His conclusion concerning the Rapira sweedish supersteel are not entirely surprising as rapiras rock, but putting Treet classics above Lord Platinums was where I had a few questions hahaha

At $12/100, plus shipping, I think they're pretty cheap. Perhaps shipping to Canada makes them a lot more expensive?

http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=236

I was wondering why those blades went out of stock. I've been close to pulling the trigger on all 500 for about 6 months and that whole time none have been purchased from TSD. Glad I got 300 before you posted the link...

The Voshkods work great for me. They are very forgiving blades. The closest blade I can find to it is the vaunted Iridium Super, but the Voshkod beats them out.

Last edited:
Rapiras are my "go to" blade. Like them better than most everything else out there. I give them "10's" across the board.

DD

Top Bottom