What's new

Colognes of the 20s, 30s, 40s........?

Like many of us here, I'm fascinated with decades gone by, but what were some of the popular colognes of the day? What would you be wearing to an illegal Speakeasy during Prohibition? What would Humphrey Bogart have sported during the shooting of Casablanca? How about Sinatra while he was on stage with the Rat Pack?

GIT was made for Cary Grant? Interesting tidbit. (And why am I not surprised that George Clooney would choose to sport the same thing.)

-Mo

I'm not really worried about what celebs wore what scent, but what scents were popular 60 or 80 years ago, what well dressed and fashionable gentlemen sported in those years. What Sinatra wore in 1989 is not nearly as cool to me as what he wore in 1940.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tim, the answer to your question intrigues me too ...

Too bad I have no idea as to the answer! :blink: Well, I'd say give my old favourite Dunhill for men (1934) a sniff, and Knize 10. I think they were popular back in their days, but I could be sniffing the small fish here. A good answer is beyond me ...

Sinatra wore Yardley's English Lavender quite often, along with witch hazel. You can still find it, but not specifically for men. The ladies' version does fine on me though. Yardley's lavender is unisex in my opinion. Later in life, Agua Lavender Puig was Sinatra's fragrance of choice. The funny thing about FS is that he used stuff you'd be able to pick up in any decent drugstore.

Dean wore Faberge Woodhue, whilst Sammy put on several scents....Lactopine, Hermes, Au Sauvage, and Aramis. (ugh.)

Sinatra took three showers a day and wore Faberge for Men - this according to a bio I read on the Rat Pack. The time was the 1950's.

A bit more research - for some reason it interests me.

THE COLOGNE FRANK WORE !!
Agua Lavanda Puig Eau de Cologne - 6.75oz/200ml
Imported from Spain

As reported by writer Bill Zehme in his marvelous book on the Sinatra style "The Way You Wear Your Hat" and later confirmed by daughter, Nancy via her website, this was Frank's cologne of choice.

I wonder if the move from Yardley's to Agua Lavenda Puig was because they stopped making the scent for men? Then again, it sounds as though Yardley's was more of a second-tier scent for FS. Word from kin beats the author.

I have Zehme's book and it's just about worn out. I love it.

Eva Peron wore Floris Special 127; however, I occasionally wear it and find it suitable and masculine in small quantities.

Another Floris goodie is the No. 89, a particular favorite of Bond creator Ian Flemming, who loved the scent so much he said that his own James Bond wore it.

Top Bottom