What's new

Considering a Lamy 2000

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a Lamy 2000. Just not sure what nib to get. I use a Lamy Vista at the moment with F, but will order an EF soon. SWMBO has a Lamy Safari with M. So I will soon have experience of three nibs, and I suspect I will like the EF the best.

But how do I make the decision on a nib for the 2000? Is the experience with the Safari nibs a useful background? Or is it completely different? Coming from an inexpensive pen with swappable nibs, it's a little disconcerting to drop $$$ on a pen with no chance to change your mind on the nib.

I think that the Lamy 2000 is a great pen! The nib is totally different than the Safari nibs, and is 14k gold. I have one in a medium nib, and find that it is a bit wider than some of my other mediums.
The pen is a good size, and because it is a piston filler it holds a ton of ink! The nib has a little spring to it, though I would not call it flex. It is a great all around pen, though as with everything YMMV!
If you go to gouletpens.com, go to their nib nook and you can actually compare the writings of different nibs. Brian Goulet also has a video on his impressions of the Lamy 2000.
I would recommend this pen!

I have two Lamy 2000's, one with the fine nib, and one in medium. There's no comparison between the 2000's and the rest of Lamy's lineup as the 2000 nibs are unique to the pen. They are 14k gold plated in platinum and in my experience, are much better nibs than the ones they use for the rest of their pens. My fine is what I would consider a true, Western fine as my Asian fines (Sailor, Namiki, Pilot) are much narrower. The medium is also right in the middle of my medium nibs as far as width goes. I will also add that my fine nib required a tiny bit of fiddling when I received it as it was running very dry and skipping a bit. A slight tweak to open up the tines a bit was all it took to turn it into a wonderful writer. My medium was perfect from the factory.

If you do get a 2000, be sure that you flush it very well before your first inking. Lamy "writes in" their nibs at the factory and will most likely have some Lamy blue residue in it. This is totally normal for Lamy and doesn't mean you've gotten a used pen. However, you don't know how long the pen has been sitting in that condition, so just make sure you clean it well. I generally clean mine by unscrewing the section from the pen and cleaning it separately rather than running the piston up and down. The section unscrews right where the two little tabs are that hold the cap on. Just be very careful that you don't lose the little tab washer as it's slightly spring loaded. Also be sure you have it properly positioned when screwing the section back on or you will damage the barrel.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again in this thread. As of posting, isellpens is having a sale on the Lamy 2000.

http://isellpens.com/lamy.html

$125 USD. Normally $130. Helps pay for shipping at least.

Edit: I have no affiliation with isellpens. I've never purchased from them, actually. But I've heard rave reviews about them here and on FPN. So I think you're dealing with someone of calibre to GouletPens when you goto isellpens.

Note that GouletPens sells the Lamy 2000 as well.

I really try to stay out of these types of threads... I tend to be a real Daryl Downer. I have had all of the Lamy offerings. The key word is had. of all those pens I only have one left, a vintage 27. IMHO the Lamy's seem uninspired to me and I believe there are better pens out there for the same dollar offerings.

With that being said.... You can't go wrong with the Goulet's... and all my dealings with Todd at ISP have been great experiences.

Daryl Downer!

I would say my opinion is similar to yours... at least partially. I had purchased a Lamy Studio years ago. It was my first real fountain pen. I grew very fed up with the Medium nib. It was just too broad and I didn't like it.

I ended up purchasing a TWSBI 540 last year and grew to like that pen a lot more than the Studio. Then I discovered that the nib could be swapped with a 1.1mm italic. Immediately did this and absolutely LOVE the Studio now. It is actually still my favorite writing pen of all that I have:

* Lamy Studio with a 1.1mm nib
* TWSBI 540 with a 1.1mm nib
* Edison Pearl with a 1.1mm Brian Edison ground nib
* Edison Encore with a #5 Medium nib (this is a nice nib too!)
* Pilot Custom 823 with a Broad nib (this one is smooth as butter)
* Esterbrook (I've actually yet to use this one)
* Noodler's Flex

In order of favorite to least favorite based on the nib alone.

* Lamy, Edison Pearl, Pilot Custom 823, Edison Encore, TWSBI 540

Now, don't get me wrong, I like all of these pens or I would've sold them. But in terms of nib, that 1.1mm italic from Lamy is just brilliant in my mind. My Edison 1.1mm nib is a tad scratchy, I need to find me some extra fine sandpaper and just give it a bit of a tune up and I think it will fit my needs as good if not better than the Lamy though.

That said, the 2000 is not a pen I've used. But I love the look. It looks very similar to a Studio (mine is matte black) and the pen is extremely well made. But in my mind, the nib makes a great pen, without it, you have nothing.

Recently sold a Lamy 2000 on the site, it was a very cool pen but the medium nib was just too juicy for the way I write. I plan to pick up another in EF, since the big reservoir, classic mid-century modern looks, and smooth writing make the L2K a damn fine pen.

I have had a Lamy Al-Star for a few weeks now, and liked the pen enough to shell out for the Lamy 2000 (medium nib), which is now on the way. I'm pretty new to fountain pens, so I don't have the wide points of reference that more experienced pen guys on here have, but I don't think I'll be disappointed with the pen based on the many reviews I've read. Bottom line is that no other company is offering what essentially is their flagship/iconic pen, with a piston filler mechanism and a 14k nib for the price that you can get a Lamy 2000 for. I paid $135 shipped for mine through Amazon.

Sure, you can troll ebay for NOS or used pens that have some similar or different but equally good characteristics (see my thread re: the German-made Clipper) but it's not quite a 1:1 comparison.

I suppose it depends on what you prefer. For everyday, utilitarian writing, Lamy seems to make a good pen that gives you a lot of bang for the buck. If for some reason you don't like it, I don't think it will be difficult to unload.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51 51

:001_rolle

I suppose it depends on what you prefer. For everyday, utilitarian writing, Lamy seems to make a good pen that gives you a lot of bang for the buck. If for some reason you don't like it, I don't think it will be difficult to unload.

They seem popular enough that, yes, a resale at a slight 'cost of a month-long test-drive' loss would be a decent fall-back.

Recently sold a Lamy 2000 on the site, it was a very cool pen but the medium nib was just too juicy for the way I write. I plan to pick up another in EF, since the big reservoir, classic mid-century modern looks, and smooth writing make the L2K a damn fine pen.

I bought this one and love it! Great nib--just right for me.

I really try to stay out of these types of threads... I tend to be a real Daryl Downer. I have had all of the Lamy offerings. The key word is had. of all those pens I only have one left, a vintage 27. IMHO the Lamy's seem uninspired to me and I believe there are better pens out there for the same dollar offerings.

With that being said.... You can't go wrong with the Goulet's... and all my dealings with Todd at ISP have been great experiences.

I'm glad you chose not to stay out of it. All considered opinions are welcome. What do you like better for the same $$$?

I must say I don't really like the hooded nib look, but that's just from photos. Given it's a design classic and I like the appearance of it other than that, I think it's something I'd get used to. But all else being equal, I prefer open nibs.

So mine arrived (in medium) and after a very brief test I can say that I'm not disappointed. The pen looks great and the ergonomics are great too.

I'll have to use the pen some more to come to a firm conclusion but so far it seems like it was $ well spent. Mine is loaded with Pelikan Violet ink right now.

Maybe I'll do a handwritten review later and upload a pic.

I agree the flow of the nib is "wet" or "juicy" but it's not really a problem for me. It reminds me of my Waterman Phileas in terms of smoothness (a very smooth pen) but it's even smoother (the 2000 nib is also gold, not steel). Just like the Waterman, I'm sure if I put a drier ink (like the Noodlers Bad Blue Heron I just got) in it it might feel a bit more dry and not *quite* as smooth.

Going to try the pen with Lamy blue/black when I use up most of the Violet and my bottle shows up.

Another 2000 fan out there.

I like the minimalist design and the pen (or at least mine) has performed flawlessly for several years.

The only complaint I have is that the nib is a bit wet for my taste - one of the few pens I have where I'd prefer a fine to a medium nib.

At $125 for a gold-nibbed pen, its a steal if you are looking for a daily work horse that has a good nib, writes well and holds a ton of ink.

In terms of new pens, the only pen that I have that I think write significantly better than my 2000 (and this is entirely personal) is my Pelikan 800.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Another 2000 fan out there.

I like the minimalist design

I own a Lamy 2000 pencil (but not a pen) ... and I assume that the design/shape/material is identical. I like my pencil, but for me, I can't see myself ponying up well over $100 for a FP of that design. When I put that pencil next to a "51" pen, I find myself drawn to the 51 ('pick me up! pick me up!') but the 2000 leaves me cold in comparison.

A perfect example of personal preference. Nothing more.

I'm glad you chose not to stay out of it. All considered opinions are welcome. What do you like better for the same $$$?

Well, I can't speak for Brian. In my own experience, and just going by the pens I've tried, I can say this for exposed-nib options ...

One option is a Pelikan 200-range. The plus is they are piston-fillers at that pricerange, so you can get more ink capacity. The 215 (having a metal body, iirc, is going to have more heft, if that matters.) The downside is that the nibs at this pricerange for Pelikans are a bit 'nail-ish', so you are not getting the real pleasure of a good gold nib ... which may or may not matter.

Another option is Japanese pens. At this pricerange you are looking at cart/converters. (Sailor makes a piston-fill Realo, but it's about $300 iirc.) I really like the Japanese nibs ... well, I mostly have Sailor, so can't say much about other brands ... Platinum music pen is great ... ) Remember that Japanese nibs tend to be finer than others, so "Pelikan F" = "Sailor M", and so forth. (It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's a good rule of thumb to start with.) Personally, this'd be my choice ... big fan of the j-nib.

Or ... what about a pen by Brian Gray (Edison Pen Co.)? Custom or stock ... either way you get cart/converter that can be eyedroppered. I don't think the nib/feed he has access to are quite as good as the Japanese ones at similar price points, but they're still good. Plus, you can go wild with colour choices if you want to.

(Brian can probably steer you in the direction of some vintage pens ... my knowledge there is pretty minimal.)

The lack of a gold nib is why I passed over the Pelikans in the same range. In order to a get a gold-nibbed Pelikan, you have to move up to the 400 series, which is about $100 more than the Lamy 2000 at the current "street price". If you search around enough you might be able to find one for around $200 new, but probably not cheaper than that. These were my recent findings.

Re: the Japanese pens, yeah, they offer decent bang for the buck too if you don't mind a cartridge/converter pen. I'll probably get a Pilot Vanishing Point eventually (maybe even the more expensive Custom 823 too!) and I like some of Sailor's models in the same price range also.

And yes the 2000's design is very "industrial" but that's the point. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of classically styled and vintage pens too...but the 2000 has a stunning subtlety about it. From 15 feet away it might look like some kind of inexpensive rollerball pen, but uncapped, close up, it doesn't look cheap in any way.

If you want a vintage looking piston filler with a gold nib, search ebay and the like for NOS "Clipper" german fountain pens. They usually go for $70-80...I bought one but it hasn't arrived yet...this was my alternative to the Pelikan 200 series that I passed up. Less expensive and more bang for the buck.

Top Bottom