What's new

A.D.D (Acquisition Disorder Defense) or, how to deal with your wife/significant other

So I seem to have A.D, and it is driving my wife up the wall. I try to explain why these things(more soap, different blades, other razors etc.) must be bought but to no avail. Has anyone come up with sound logic to mount an effective A.D.D?

yea..they will save you money in the long run as you dont need to throw the handles in the trash..just the blades..if youre talking DE/SE :w00t:
straights..definitely nothing to throw away and not very pricey just keep the same one using for a very long time..the stones are a different price indeed..but required for its lifetime of use :lol:

1. Ensure that you own a comfortable couch.
2. Point out the similarities between your growing soap collection and her ridiculous number of remarkably similar-looking black shoes.
3. Bask in the smugness of your sound reasoning.

It is imperative to perform these steps in order - DO NOT proceed to Step 2 without first completing Step 1.

Beat me to the shoe comment! Sounds like its time to once again start the talk about a B&B LE couch...

2. Point out the similarities between your growing soap collection and her ridiculous number of remarkably similar-looking black shoes.

It is imperative to perform these steps in order - DO NOT proceed to Step 2 without first completing Step 1.

Beat me to it!! Only other defense I've been able to come up with is some fuzzy math logic. You'll have to invent your own numbers, but all the money spent on soaps, blades, etc (this isn't taking into account RAD) and the timeline of use is actually less money over the same period of time vs. purchasing cans of goo and cartridges. Or something along those lines? :001_tongu

I'm the man and I do what I please?

You didn't specify whether or not you wish to remain married/ in a relationship, so if not that's your answer :lol:

+1 million LOL

my S.O. CONTRIBUTES to my ADD,lol.Seems like she comes home from the store with something shave related all the time.Either a bottle of after shave splash,balm or blades,or something.

My wife tolerates my obsession. She doesn't seem to mind the fact that I have 20+ kinds of aftershave. She is a bit more judgmental about razors, though. However, I'm really only into ball-end Techs and blue-tip Superspeeds, and I really don't think she's aware when I'm using a newly acquired one. She THINKS I have two Techs and two blue tips! Little does she know!

Thanks bblade. This topic couldn't have been brought up at a better time. My RAD is becoming pretty excessive and I see no signs of it stopping anytime soon. The packages are in the mail and on their way. I'm really just hoping the LOTH isn't home when they arrive. Otherwise I'll probably just tell her I bought them super cheap and am going to sell them for a profit.

She knows I'm going to do what I want anyway, but I believe eventually I'll convert her to being a contributor.

I keep telling her I'm only spending the money she has "saved" from buying all those shoes/bags/dresses on "sale"...

This is a tough question and my lord, have I been grappling with the same issue!

The 'saving money in the long run' approach is probably the best quick answer. Even if you don't mention the crazy variety of soaps, creams, balms, etc. Focus on the blades... "it's cheaper because a 10 pack of DE blades is ___ and a 4 pack of Mach 3 blades is ___." Mention how that vintage Gillette Techmatic will last you a lifetime, yet how often do you have to buy a new Mach 3 handle set because the flimsy plastic handle breaks?

I try to keep expounding on the significant wet-shaving benefits- the bbs shave, the lack of razor burn, no ingrown hair, no irritated skin, not getting 5 o'clock shadow before lunch any more, etc. It's important she understands that you had ALL of those issues before wet-shaving. It is hard to get mad at someone because they have found a better personal hygiene method... and only a real meanie would try to make you go back to something that causes all those problems.

Compare it to something she does. Like my wife dyes away the grays in her hair once in a while, even though it irritates her scalp. So I said "imagine if you had to dye your hair every morning, and every morning your scalp was irritated. And before lunch the grays were all coming back already, so it's like you never dyed it. Then imagine you found a new dyeing method that took a little longer, but was better for the hair, didn't hurt your scalp, and lasted all day. That's what wet-shaving is like for me!" That kind of perspective can help.

The hard part for me is that it takes longer now... and the wife is not patient about that. During the work week I shower, shave, get dressed and leave for work before she gets up so she never says anything. On the weekends, I am finally free to NOT hurry through the shave, but to take my time and enjoy it. But she has noticed that the routine is longer and gets irritated that I am in the bathroom so long. I let her sleep in on the weekends too, but I have two young children (a 4 year old and a 7 month old) so I can't really leave them alone while I retreat to the shave cave. So I usually end up hurrying a little more than I want to on the weekends.

Ultimately there will be some smoke and mirrors. How much of she shave den purchases do you need to report? It would be one thing if you were collecting vintage baseball cards or stamps, which you don't use for anything. Shaving is something you HAVE to do every day. Maybe you can compare it to her extensive collection of make-up and perfumes... should she only have one color of lip-stick or only one perfume that she uses every day? Or maybe jewelry... how many ear-rings and necklaces does she have?

Hopefully she appreciates the BBS shaves and the new fragrances you are sporting, and she'll get behind you on it all. But seriously, be sure you have a killer comfy couch. Worst case scenario is you may be out there following any major purchases. Good luck!

It is imperative to perform these steps in order - do not proceed to step 2 without first completing step 1.

+1 lmao

Top Bottom