What's new

Goat horns scales from animal to my scales - vegetarians look away

Really? I've always assumed they will slowly go back to their natural shape. I've assumed the vintage horn scales I've gotten with inward bowing were a result of this technique being used back in the day.
I think they bowed from drying out further or maybe being exposed to moisture. Its possible they moved on their own but I would think they had help as well.
I placed the horns in the oven for 15 minutes on max today......nek minnit

Damn! That sucks. If you try it again use a torch or heat gun so you better control and heat the scales where you are attempting to straighten them a little at a time til you have them hot enough without charring them. Better luck on the next set! I know they will be worth it when done!!!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No worries guys, I do have more horns and will be pushing on with this project.
you learn more from failure than success. I was very surprised how quick this went all wrong.

No worries guys, I do have more horns and will be pushing on with this project.
you learn more from failure than success. I was very surprised how quick this went all wrong.

Great attitude, man.

Sorry, but this thread's title should be updated to, "Goat horns scales from animal to my oven - everyone look away"

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK back to it.
I lined up the first horn I split. Boiled and clamped in-between two pieces of scrap steel I got from work.

$horn clamp.jpg

Left to cool for about an hour. Stuck together with double sided tape and cut scale. Will leave sanding for another day.
Here they are with the intended razor.

$horn scales v2.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
some sanding today. Not much to be seen here.
Guess this thread it is a bit like watching paint dry, but I am in no rush.

$horn shaped.jpg

Last edited:
OK back to it.
I lined up the first horn I split. Boiled and clamped in-between two pieces of scrap steel I got from work.

I've had a lot of luck wrapping horn in a single layer of aluminum foil and heating them with a clothing iron (on cotton setting) until pliable then clamping them in wood... Turned out straight and true

Top Bottom