What's new

Need help with an identification please

proxy.php

Has been sitting in a drawer here for years. Believe that it is sixties or earlier. No real markings, nothing in case.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
From what I have been able to research (looking at pics...see below), I beleive it's a 1950's era 10K gold filled pocket watch. But a well known watch repair shop would have the answer for you.

Q. Is the watch still running?
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...a Pocket Watch tells a Story." CBJ

Attachments

• $$(KGrHqRHJFYE88fNMfzEBPcd6IZvrg~~60_12.jpg
    $$(KGrHqRHJFYE88fNMfzEBPcd6IZvrg~~60_12.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
From what I have been able to research (looking at pics...see below), I beleive it's a 1950's era 10K gold filled pocket watch. But a well known watch repair shop would have the answer for you.

Q. Is the watch still running?
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A Wrist Watch merely tellsTime...a Pocket Watch tells a Story." CBJ

Not currently running. Thank you very much for your research.

Bulova are a good brand producing some interesting watches in the early 70's along with Omega they produced the 'tuning fork' mechanism a predecssor to the quartz mechanism. A good brand, I would agree with the 1950s 10k gold fill.

The advantage of a Bulova is that millions were sold so parts are plentiful. It's also in lovely shape with a pristine dial. Take it to a competent trusted watchmaker and get a full disassemble rebuild. Use it and wear it often. That's its intended purpose. The downside is that the rebuild will be expensive. If done correctly, more than the piece is worth.

The advantage of a Bulova is that millions were sold so parts are plentiful. It's also in lovely shape with a pristine dial. Take it to a competent trusted watchmaker and get a full disassemble rebuild. Use it and wear it often. That's its intended purpose. The downside is that the rebuild will be expensive. If done correctly, more than the piece is worth.

Appreciated. It's my grandfather's (who i've never met), so having something of his would be well worth the restore

Appreciated. It's my grandfather's (who i've never met), so having something of his would be well worth the restore
Wonderful. I love hearing how these old pieces are appreciated. Bulova was more fashion forward than others of that era. The bow at the top of the case is pure art deco in design as are the thin hands.
The dial is called a "radial flip". The numbers radiate from the center at the top of the dial then flip for the bottom of the dial. The number pattern is repeated for the sub seconds dial.
I always use a stout piece of leather to attach the bow to the watch chain. I've seen too many watch bow get worn to nothing from wear on a watch chain.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Top Bottom