What's new

Two questions on business casual

I'm starting a new job next month in an office and attire is business casual. I've been doing some reading on the Internet about what that means. The consensus is that long-sleeve, button-down shirts and khakis are typical.

1) I don't like the undershirt showing when top is unbuttoned. I've tried V-neck T-shirts in the past but they still show. So do men go with no undershirts at work?

2) Is there a rule of thumb in choosing khaki/chino/Docker-type pants compared with dressier pants that may be microfiber, wool blends, or softer fabrics? I've worn both types and not sure if certain shirts or styles pair better with one or the other.

Thanks.

If you go with a tank top style undershirt, you shouldn't be able to see it with only the top button undone. Some tank tops have a deeper neck line than others, but most should be fine. With respect to the pants, khakis are pretty casual. They qualify as business casual in most environments, but you would certainly do better with a wool or wool blend type of pant. You can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers. I find that when it comes to blends, it's very easy to cross a line into cheap fabrics that won't wear well and you'll have to replace them within a year. Stick with good quality washable wools from a reputable outfit like Brooks and you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Good luck and congratulations on the new job!

You can purchase deep v-neck undershirts. American Apparel makes some, but please, just don't wear them by themselves...they go so low.

v-neck tee shirts and wool trousers: gabardine in the warm weather and flannel in the cooler weather. Khakis are casual pants for outside the work environment.

Business casual in my work (large international financial company) means that you dont have a tie or jacket. Always wear some nice leather dress shoes and hem your trousers to the smallest break you feel comfortable with - and then go up another quarter inch.

I see a number of young men in our offices with dress trousers or khakis bunched up around their ankles - maybe that is the fashion with jeans, but it doesnt cut with dress clothes.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For the shirts, you can get shirts with thicker material so you don't need to wear an undershirt.

Generally, "business casual" can mean a lot of different things ... so I'd say don't spend too much on clothes until you see what your new job thinks "business casual" looks like, and then try to fit in.

The only time I've used an undershirt was when I had cotton shirts in the Jiansgu summer. I'd get very sweaty by the time I'd gotten off the bus, so that kept a barrier between me and the shirt. A friend from Wisconsin looked like he'd been in the shower with this shirt on after only an hour of walking around. Not pleasant.
If the heat isn't an issue I'd suggest you leave the undershirt at home, maybe find a muted waistcoat. And pay attention to the arms of your shirt. Overlong arms are a killer. Mesh shirt suspenders are great for this.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I met 3 men while interviewing. Two were wearing sweaters over button-down shirts (one cardigan, one shirt-style) and khakis. The third (the manager) was wearing a button-down checked shirt and denim blue jeans. I didn't notice anyone's shoes.

I like the idea of not buying clothes until I get a better sense of what others are wearing. I have a closet full of casual to dress clothes including about 6 dress pants, 2 suits, 2 blazers, 3 sportcoats, and a lot of shirts. However, some are looking a little worn. I'll look around for deep V-neck undershirts. I don't want sweat showing through a shirt and don't want to have to keep a coat on all day.

I'll look around for deep V-neck undershirts. I don't want sweat showing through a shirt and don't want to have to keep a coat on all day.

I too had a hard time finding low vneck undershirts. I like the feel of Alfani undershirts and wore them for years, but I switched to vnecks and they are not low enough. I bought some Jockey vnecks and they are low enough not to show with an unbottoned top button on a dress shirt or with a polo. Quality is yet to be seen as I have not had them long enough. But they are soft and comfortable. Might want to give em a try

I went to the mall yesterday and looked at undershirts as JC Penney and a few other stores - really difficult to tell how they will look with shirts, and no way to try them on. Jockey is a good brand so might go ahead and get one or two and see how they look. THanks.

Top Bottom