Thread: First shave....it was okay

1. Default First shave....it was okay

I shaved last night for the first time with a DE89, Derby blade, and kiss my face cream. It was okay, nothing to get crazy over. I blame it on my first time.

But I do have a question. After my shower and I started to put cream on my wet face, my face dried up real fast like I was no longer wet shaving. Hopefully that explains it, just my face was not moist. I think I might have the culprit, the castile soap I sometimes use as a face wash. It can be drying but can that affect the wet shaving and cream?

I might try the shaving again today and use my wife's face wash this time for comparison.

Did you lather, or apply the cream directly? I know the first time I used cream, unknowingly I applied it straight to my face and did not lather.

3. Thread Starter

I lathered In a bowl and I have used the cream before. But never have shaved when I use castile soap to wash my face.

4. Default

I thought the KMF cream was not meant to be lathered???
    -Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Predict View Post
    I thought the KMF cream was not meant to be lathered???
    It can be lathered with a brush or used brushless. KMF is known to lather easily.
    - Lucas

If the cream dries on your face, it is no longer wet shaving. Always keep your face moist and the blade will glide across your face. You have a great razor, your shaves will get better. IMHO feathers work best in the DE89
    Chi Chi, get the yayo

7. Thread Starter

Yeah that's why I didn't understand why it dried out. It's never dried out like that before. I lathered with a X2L brush.

Could have been a fluke. Definitely want the lather wet, so you might try a couple practice lathers to make sure you got the water ratio down.
    TOFLAC-U

9. Thread Starter

Okay I'll be working on it. The lather looked great in my opinion. But I'm new to this so what do I know.

Images

KMF is definitely a great cream to start with as it lathers easily. Try it with a different face wash maybe? Or add a bit more water to your lather. A couple years later, and I am still "practicing" lathering some days

11. Thread Starter

I tried it with a different face wash and definitely a lot better. I didn't think a face wash could do that.