What's new

YOUR 1st one hundred blade purchase...

Dorco ST-300 was the first and only. They do a good job for me, but thinking that Astra SP, Rapira Platinum, Gillette Super Thin Reds Platinum are ones that I will purchase in the future

Last edited:
Astra SP. I got 200 to use as a baseline because they worked so well during preliminary testing. I think I spend $20 on them and they will last about 4 years at the rate I am using them. I was spending $20 a month on carts so the odd $1,000 bucks will come in handy.

I go through blades quickly as I toss them after 3 shaves. Sometimes even 2. I started with 100 Astras for 8 bux on Amazon. Then I bought 200 Shark SS because they had them (briefly) for a little over $5 per hundred on Amazon shipped from Turkey. Then a friend in Russia managed to get me 800 blades (8 cards) when I was visiting the region. 200 each of GSB, Rapira Plat Lux, Rapira Swedish Steel, and Voskhod. I think I might be ok for a year or two.

Astra SP was my first 100 blade purchase. But I knew I had a problem when I made my first 500 blade purchase (GSB).

Polsilver SI's (ordered from dcc). Before that the most I had bought was 50 (Gillette Platinums). Next up is Perma-Sharp Supers. I'll be a happy camper with those 3 blades in my Feather AS-D2 for the foreseeable future.

Can't wait to see how they work in a Razorock Slant (if/when they are available again).

Med preps then Polisilver SI then Voskhod then Gillette SB then Astra. My wife bought me 50 feathers prior to this. I guess I'm set for a while.

J

Jarrod

Not sure I qualify for this thread. After going through a sampler 4 years ago my first bulk purchase was for 1K Astra SP's. Earlier this morning I placed an order for 400 Feathers. I was initially going to order 500 but decided to knock off a box to try a small pack of GSB, Gillette Black and Polsilvers so I could get a feel of what everyone is talking about.

Polsilver SI were my first 100... then Astra SP... then 7oC Blacks... then Voskhods... the 7oC Yellow... then Durasharp... and finally Feathers. I think the Durasharps are the only ones I might regret. I still have to experiment with them a little more before I can decide to like them or hate them.
I love experiencing different blades. I'm not even sure I can tell a difference between 50% of what I use but it's fun non the less deciding which blade to pair with which razor and which soap/cream.

This was my first major blade purchase at 8.99 per hundred. I am very satisfied with them and with the way I stretch blade life I expect them to last for the next 10 years.
$supermax.jpg

This was my first major blade purchase at 8.99 per hundred. I am very satisfied with them and with the way I stretch blade life I expect them to last for the next 10 years.
View attachment 514460
The Supermax Platinum is one of my top 5. Great price, good shaves and decent longevity. My first 100 (actually 200) was Voskhod, my second was Barber injectors and my third was Feather DE. I intend to purchase 100 Polsilver SI here shortly. Given the life of each of these blades, I'm set for 3-4 years or so. Even so, I just found that I like Sharp Durablade and may spring for 100 of those.

Just ordered the Astra sp pack. Also upgraded from a 6 dollar Walmart boar brush to a b and b seafoam essential brush. Can't wait for Friday's mail.

Astra SPs and they're easily my favorites. I have a sample pack I purchased from Amazon and every time I try a different blade, I find them not as good as the Astras, although Feathers come the closest....just a bit too sharp the first use.

I tried a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green) today and found it unsatisfactory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom