What's new

H.I.S. Synthetic Brush

This is a review of a new synthetic brush called the H.I.S. Shaving Brush.

The distributor is a company called Artist Brushstrokes and they can be reached at: www.artistbrushstrokes.com

Additional information can be found here: http://fmtbrush.com/fmt/index.php/cosmetic-brushes/68-his-face-shaving-brush.html

Now to the review. When I saw this brush recently I thought that it would be similar to the Franks Synthetic (FS) that I enjoy. I noted that it had more of a whiteness at the where the FS had black tips. So I went on to Amazon and ordered the brush. The cost was $32.50 with shipping so I was interested in what I would receive since I had never saw any reviews on this brush before.

So I received the brush and was surprised at the size. I normally like brushes with knots in the 20-25mm range. This brush was large compared to what I am used to using. Here is a comparison to the FS.

proxy.php

Here are pictures of the H.I.S. Brush.

proxy.php

Here is another view compared to the FS brush.

proxy.php

The second thing I noticed was that is looked more like a Silvertip Badger than the other synthetics. The brush is dense in fact it is much denser than any other brush I have. Now that I have this brush, it is time to see how it performs.

Once I got use to the size, I found this to be a very good brush in terms of application. I was able to negotiate the ears and quickly apply lather to the back of my head for the head shave.

Here were some areas that I observed about the H.I.S. brush.

Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
Yes - In fact you need to shake it lightly about 3 times or you could have too much water. This holds water exceptionally well due to the density and quantity of fibers.

Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
Yes - It is very efficient. A little soap or cream goes a long way.

Lather: Does it built and apply lather well?
Yes - It is a real lather monster.

I used it with Fitness Soap in a mug. It made enough lather for 4 1/2 thick face passes (2 of them I simply wiped off because I had finished face shaving). Then it made 2 full head shave passes with thick lather. Afterwards, I was able to squeeze the brush and get a larger wad of lather at the finger and thumb. This amount of lather was made with one dip into water with a three shake to reduce moisture and only 2 swirls to pick up the soap. No additional water or soap was used. I also used it with a nickel sized drop of C.O. Bigelow cream and got the same results. I think the density of the brush fibers is so high that it creates a very strong lather production due to the fibers moving against each other.

Application: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
Yes - The lather went on smooth and easy every time.

Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the “quality” feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals?
It has a soft quality feel against the skin. The H.I.S. Synthetic does not feel like a badger, but is very soft. It is much softer than a boar. It may be close to a horse hair in softness. It would not pass a blindfold test against naturals, but is soft and just because it does not feel exactly like natural in no way deducts from the quality of the brush.

Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive? Yes.
I like the simplicity of the faux ebony resin handle.

One additional thing about synthetics is that you can be a little more rough with them versus natural hairs and not have a problem with them. They will not bloom or change shape. In my experience I have found is, what you get with a synthetic is a uniform product that does not change over time. That has pluses and minuses which each user must determine for themselves if a synthetic is right for them.

In conclusion, would I recommend this brush to others.
Yes! In fact, I have ordered a backup brush because I like this one so well. You might just want to give this brush some consideration if you are looking for a nice synthetic brush in the mid price range.

The big test for synthetics in my opinion is in how the hair behaves on the face. Prior to the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, they always splayed awkwardly. The Muhle solved this problem and it acts like a normal brush...and it isn't as stiff and the hairs don't stick together in a tube shape. Would you say this new brush is similar?

The big test for synthetics in my opinion is in how the hair behaves on the face. Prior to the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, they always splayed awkwardly. The Muhle solved this problem and it acts like a normal brush...and it isn't as stiff and the hairs don't stick together in a tube shape. Would you say this new brush is similar?

You mean like a badger, horse, boar? Describe normal. This one will stick somewhat but has backbone, unlike some badgers which are floppy. This one to me is not stiff, but has the right amount of backbone, but to you it may be stiff. This is much less stiff than a boar, and more along the lines of horse in stiffness, but more stiff than most badgers.

In my experience, every synthetic I've tried except the new Muhle "sticks together" when you first swirl it on your face. When you apply a bit of pressure, then it splays like natural hair. That what I mean.

I have the H.I.S. brush with a 28mm knot and 58mm loft. I find that after I wet it good and then shake out the excess water, (usually 4 good shakes) when I go to make my lather, using soap, the brush is still too wet. I have to give it a little squeeze first.
Does anyone else with this brush notice this also?

Yes. Many if not most synthetic brushes almost need to be squeezed dry to make lather. You can always add water if you overdo it.

I love the looks of the ebony resin handle. I think it's so cool looking. The fibers feel softer than any other synthetic brush I've tried, including the Muhle and the Plisson. It is a beautiful brush that works.

$HIS brush.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom