What's new

Hair conditioner ok for brushes?

I've had my Duke 2 for almost a year now and I use it pretty much everyday. It's lost a couple of hairs the last couple of days. Nothing major or alarming, it lost one yesterday and one today. So today I decided I should probably give it a cleaning to get any soap residue out of it. I soaked it for about 2 minutes in a mild solution of warm water and vinegar and then gave it a treatment of hair conditioner. I figure if it can help to strengthen human hair why not badger hair?

What do you think gents? Does this sound like a good idea?

When I clean a new brush I do the same thing. Either use dish detergent or shampoo/conditioner to lather with and then rinse it out and soak in a mild mix of vinigar and water.

Ah, the old ask after you've already done it routine. I wouldn't do it again. Read the label on that conditioner, there are about 50 things in there that who knows what they do. Human hair gets CUT off after a while. That stuff could eventually give your brush a case of the flop.

I don't think you'll beat a good vinegar soak. Hair conditioner is going to leave a residue and make it too soft & slick in many cases. The brush may temporarily lose some of its retention.

Thankfully I used a really light weight conditioner and this is the first time I've tried this. I probably won't do it again. I guess just a good wash with a vinegar solution to get the soap residue out is enough.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Don't see the sense in it. Conditioner adds oils back to the hair that are lost in shampooing. I think it would actually inhibit a brush's ability to build a lather. Of course, I could be all wet here

Top Bottom