What's new

Chubby 1 vs. Duke 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 48987
  • Start date
I asked those questions because currently I do not see chubby super 2 band brushes (not counting manchurian knots) on the official Simpsons web page...are the 2 band supers made especially for the vendor in Ireland ?

Several vendors carry Simpson 2-band brushes at various times. You can currently find 2-band Simpson Chubby 2 Supers at westcoastshaving. You might also check with Bullgooseshaving.com as he sometimes has them in stock as well.

As to the original post regarding Chubby 1 vs Duke 3. The Chubby 1 is a denser knot than the Duke 3 but the handle is relatively small. I have large hands and it doesn't bother me, but you will definitely notice a difference in the handle size between the Chubby1 and Chubby2. If you are concerned about a small handle, the Duke 3 might be the better option.

D

Deleted member 48987

I've received some measurements on Duke 3's from West Coast Shaving. Most of them are 25/46. Considering this and looking at Mike's picture, maybe the Duke 3 would not be too different from my Chubby 2. Perhaps I should go for a Duke 2. What do you guys think? I really don't want to go too small, but I want something smaller than the Chubby 2.

I ordered the duke 2 2 band from shaving.ie three weeks ago. It is simply awesome. The current batch of Simpson two band is very good. So much so, that I ordered the duke 3 two band yesterday.

Hello again folks,

My Duke 2 has arrived and, as promised, here are a few pictures! I got this one as my travel brush where it'll always be face lathering cream and for that I prefer a knot which is soft and luxurious holding a good amount of lather - this matches up perfect to the 3-Band Super. But having said that, if I had to choose one only, I would still reach for my Duke 3. The longer handle and 2-Band knot wins it for me with the comfortable design and grip while, with the extra backbone, flow through and soft tips, the shave is really enjoyable.

The measurements are;

Duke 2 has a 22mm knot, 50mm loft & 42mm tall handle (92mm overall height)
Duke 3 has a 24mm knot, 50mm loft & 47mm tall handle (97mm overall height)
Chubby 2 has a 28mm knot, 51mm loft & 44 mm tall handle (95mm overall height)

The Duke 2 as it arrived, pre-bloom;

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

In the second set of pictures I have shown it, post-bloom, with my Duke 3 and a Chubby 2.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Skol,

Mark

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Mark, your Duke 2 Super looks truly beautiful. However, I prefer the plain Ivory colour of the regular Simpsons compared to the striped Ivory of the LE. Just me.

I've received some measurements on Duke 3's from West Coast Shaving. Most of them are 25/46. Considering this and looking at Mike's picture, maybe the Duke 3 would not be too different from my Chubby 2. Perhaps I should go for a Duke 2. What do you guys think? I really don't want to go too small, but I want something smaller than the Chubby 2.

Duke 2 was the first Simpsons brush I purchased and it is still one of my favorite brushes.

You can't go wrong with that brush.

I am always so sad when I come across the perfect lineup, and the once posted pictures I so longed to see are no longer available... :a36:

I have a Chubby 1 and a Duke 2 in my rotation along with a Classic 2, 57, 56 and Wee Scot. Of my specimens, the Classic 2 has the most backbone likely related to a bit lower loft.

My Chubby 1 is a bit denser and has more backbone than the Duke 2. I find both handles very comfortable for face lathering. (My glove size is 7 1/2, or average.) I found the Duke 3 a bit large for my taste. YMMV for sure!

Top Bottom