What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

From my collection, a Gillette "Milady" travel set, made in England in the late 1920s. This set, which featured a pearlized celluloid case, was marketed to women, but it is actually the same razor as the Gillette Tuckaway which was sold to men in a more masculine box.

$20140417_094834.jpg

Please, please don't report me to the Shaving Police!

View attachment 437455

It takes me thirty minutes or so to shave as well and I have no interest in doing it faster. The need to shave faster is what got us into the world of canned garbage and cartridge blades in the first place. To state that it "should not take that long' is an opinion based on nothing more than one person's thoughts. As they say YMMV.

What blades are you using, it should take less time that for a shave.

All joking aside, after years of having to shave quickly in some very inhospitable environments and locations, often sharing sink space with other "gentlemen," or no sink at all, to me it's a luxury - not a problem - to be able to shave in slow time with a vintage safety razor.

Last edited:
From my collection, a Gillette "Milady" travel set, made in England in the late 1920s. This set, which featured a pearlized celluloid case, was marketed to women, but it is actually the same razor as the Gillette Tuckaway which was sold to men in a more masculine box.

View attachment 437453

That a really nice looking piece of kit Chef! Well done! Nothing girly about that.

The need to shave faster is what got us into the world of canned garbage and cartridge blades in the first place. To state that it "should not take that long' is an opinion based on nothing more than one person's thoughts. As they say YMMV.

That's a great point; I never really thought about it from that point of view.

Another shave this morning with my FaTip Grande. It went well, minor irritation, but I could have been gentler. I think I overestimated the amount of growth I had this morning. Regardless I am going to start referring to this razor as a "mower". It's amazing how efficient it is!

got a loaner NEW long comb head yesterday in the mail from a fellow BOTOC brother....waiting till tomorrow to give it a run as I have the day off and will be able to relax and enjoy...can't wait to try an 80 year old OC! All goats and onions fear me!!

What blades are you using, it should take less time that for a shave.

It takes me thirty minutes or so to shave as well and I have no interest in doing it faster. The need to shave faster is what got us into the world of canned garbage and cartridge blades in the first place. To state that it "should not take that long' is an opinion based on nothing more than one person's thoughts. As they say YMMV.

All joking aside, after years of having to shave quickly in some very inhospitable environments and locations, often sharing sink space with other "gentlemen," or no sink at all, to me it's a luxury - not a problem - to be able to shave in slow time with a vintage safety razor.

Agreed, I take 25 or so mins average with a DE, and closer to 45 with a straight, and have no desire to reduce the "Me Time" I am spending doing it. It is a big case of it being the journey, and not just the destination for me.

I am formally requesting membership into the"Brotherhood".
I have been wet shaving since December, and my goto razor is a New LC.
Today I used my newly acquired Sheraton and got a DFS.
I am waiting for a Senator from B/S/T which will complete my Open Comb set.
Please send an onion and/or goat my way and I will put BOTOC in my signature line.
Thanks for considering my membership into the Brotherhood

Gary

Well, this week, I was in the mood for something different, shave-wise. So, I grabbed my 40's-style Super Speed for this week's shaves. My shaves were decent, but I remembered why I came to appreciate open-comb razors so much. Even with a sharp blade, it struggled with two-days worth of stubble on Monday. I even got a little burn on Wednesday, mainly from doing a few too many touch-up strokes, that weren't necessary when using an OC razor. It's really hard to beat the efficiency of an open-comb razor. I'll be more than glad to grab one once again for next week's shaves!

First shave today with my borrowed New long comb and what a nice shave!! Hard to believe that razor is 80.years old. Very impressed and now I must have one! Not until after the GRU is over and then I will begin my search....now I also have to try a short comb version and the Old type as well....so many razors, so little time!

I am formally requesting membership into the"Brotherhood".
I have been wet shaving since December, and my goto razor is a New LC.
Today I used my newly acquired Sheraton and got a DFS.
I am waiting for a Senator from B/S/T which will complete my Open Comb set.
Please send an onion and/or goat my way and I will put BOTOC in my signature line.
Thanks for considering my membership into the Brotherhood

Gary
Look at your front door. They will come by airmail. You are welcome to BOTOC.

Top Bottom