What's new

Second full restore - The Meteor

This is my second full restore. I disassembled everything, sanded and polished the blade and scales, and fabricated a new wedge. The original wedge broke during the tear-down. It's made from scavenged material from the local hardware store. For the last few weeks I've been hitting up the guy who cuts window blinds for scraps. Last weekend I finally scored white trimmings, and here it is.

I've made a few wedges, and this is the best one yet. It's still not perfect. The sides always seem flat, until everything is pinned. Then they're obviously wonky. It also closes a tad off center. Somehow I think this is a symptom of a wonky wedge, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Regarding history, all I've been able to find is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Meteor_(1896) Any help putting a date to this blade would be great, or the story on why it was made.

Any restoration critique is appreciated. Constructive criticism, even more.

Thanks.

Attachments

• $Meteor-55.jpg
    $Meteor-55.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 93
  • $Meteor-56.jpg
    $Meteor-56.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 92
  • $Meteor-57.jpg
    $Meteor-57.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 92
  • $Meteor-58.jpg
    $Meteor-58.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 92
  • $Meteor-59.jpg
    $Meteor-59.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 92
The Melchior Bros. (Edward, Ernest, Hugo and Fred) started business around 1880, in Chicago, as grinders, cutlers and barbers' suppliers. They quickly grew to be one of the larger suppliers along with Theo Koch and Koken.
In 1887 Hugo Melchior moved to Omaha, Nebraska and opened a separate company but still affiliated with Melchior Bros. This branch closed in 1939 for reasons I don't know.
Melchior Bros. in Chicago were still in the barber supply business at least into the 1980s.

As you can see from your linked article, the ship was renamed the SS Meteor in 1943, so your razor could not be older than that.
This is speculation on my part, but the ship had its news peak when it was retired in 1969 as the only surviving whaleback ship and became a museum in 1973. It was well known to Chicagoans since it transported most of the land fill to build up the site of the 1933 World's Fair when it was called the South Park.
It wouldn't surprise me if your razor was made as recently as the 1970s since many barbers were still using straight razors at that time to shave their customers.

Many thanks to Greybeard. I thought I was good with Google, but you sir you have skills. I appreciate the history lesson.

Top Bottom